iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Dec 15, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #12,301 of 13,503
I have a bunch of DAP's...ipod, iPod touch, RWA Modded iPod, Cowon J3, Colorfly C3, etc etc...The DX100, RWAK100, and DX50 are the best of the best. I use all 3 regularly and can say without a doubt that the DX50, with the lower price point , when combined with a good amp is the one to beat. I also feel that the DX100 is in a league of it's own.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #12,302 of 13,503
I have a bunch of DAP's...ipod, iPod touch, RWA Modded iPod, Cowon J3, Colorfly C3, etc etc...The DX100, RWAK100, and DX50 are the best of the best. I use all 3 regularly and can say without a doubt that the DX50, with the lower price point , when combined with a good amp is the one to beat. I also feel that the DX100 is in a league of it's own.

A good amp can also raise the price point of the DX50 combo to a league of its own
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #12,303 of 13,503

A good amp can also raise the price point of the DX50 combo to a league of its own
biggrin.gif

Yes, but defeats the all in one portable aspect of it.
....which you get with the DX100.

Still, with the DX50 you could always make do with the 75% sound of the DX100 on the go....and then plug it into an amp at your desk\home to get 95% of the DX100 
biggrin.gif

For its price point the DX50 is an awesome DAP....the minor software niggles aside.

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #12,304 of 13,503
  Yes, but defeats the all in one portable aspect of it.
....which you get with the DX100.

Amen.

Same old quandry, isn't it? There are quite a number of different DAPs which fall short on their own but sound decent when amped, but then they're too big and heavy to put in one's pocket.

I am a big fan of the DX100 but it's lack of physical control buttons, and excessive size make it unlikely I'll buy one again (never say never, it's just that it's unlikely). I totally dig the SQ of the DX100, though, and admire it for holding its own against other DAPs.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #12,305 of 13,503

Amen.

Same old quandry, isn't it? There are quite a number of different DAPs which fall short on their own but sound decent when amped, but then they're too big and heavy to put in one's pocket.

I am a big fan of the DX100 but it's lack of physical control buttons, and excessive size make it unlikely I'll buy one again (never say never, it's just that it's unlikely). I totally dig the SQ of the DX100, though, and admire it for holding its own against other DAPs.

It's winter in the UK and the DX-100 also serves as an effective hand warmer!

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #12,306 of 13,503

biggrin.gif

While I'm a fan of the DX50...even with a T1 attached it's still the little brother to the DX100 SQ wise. Yes, with it's price point it is definitely the top contender in the new audiophile category that I like to call...

Affordable.

LOL

Steve from CT
(formerly NYC...)

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #12,307 of 13,503
  It's winter in the UK and the DX-100 also serves as an effective hand warmer!

Lol, mine never gets too hot while playing. It does however get decently hot while charging.

I am starting to go nuts without my dx100. It has not even arrived in china yet. I am guessing by the time I get it back, I will have to send off my mad dogs to get them upgraded. I am going to be headphone less for a month and a half (the dx100 is the only thing in my house that powers the MDs remotely well) 
frown.gif
. Hopefully I will have my entire rig back before my next semester starts. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #12,308 of 13,503
  Lol, mine never gets too hot while playing. It does however get decently hot while charging.

I am starting to go nuts without my dx100. It has not even arrived in china yet. I am guessing by the time I get it back, I will have to send off my mad dogs to get them upgraded. I am going to be headphone less for a month and a half (the dx100 is the only thing in my house that powers the MDs remotely well) 
frown.gif
. Hopefully I will have my entire rig back before my next semester starts. 

Sorry to hear about the wait, but you'll enjoy it all the more when you get it back. As hand warmers go, I have more able devices than the DX-100 but none of them play music as well...

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #12,309 of 13,503
Back on pages 416 & 502  and the following there were discussions regarding the relative merits of the coax and optical connections to a dac. Some said coax was better, others the optical.  It's been over a year since then and new firmware has come out and people have had more experience with the DX100 and dacs.

Is there a clear consensus now that one is better than the other?

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #12,310 of 13,503
Would you guys recommend getting the iBasso DX100 as an endgame rig for powering an HE6 or a Fostex TH900? I know those two are extremely different in terms of power draw, but I heard that the DX100 can authoritatively power any headphone on the market, and I think I am going to purchase it instead of a high end desktop amp/dac do it can serve as both a portable solution and an endgame solution. What do DX100 owners think? 

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #12,311 of 13,503
TH900 works fine. The HE-6 like power, 5 watts or more to get what they can really can do. so if you want full potential, no on them. 

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #12,312 of 13,503
  Would you guys recommend getting the iBasso DX100 as an endgame rig for powering an HE6 or a Fostex TH900? I know those two are extremely different in terms of power draw, but I heard that the DX100 can authoritatively power any headphone on the market, and I think I am going to purchase it instead of a high end desktop amp/dac do it can serve as both a portable solution and an endgame solution. What do DX100 owners think?

yeah man I have the TH-900's and the sound is very good when just using the DX100. I like the sound better using my DX100 as a DAC paired with my HiFiMAN EF-6, makes it sound a little more laidback, which I personally really like, the DX100 on its own is a bit more forward, but I would definitely consider it an endgame rig. The only thing I dislike about running my DX100 all the time is the fact that I have to charge it pretty often, and I am considering upgrading to a standalone DAC and use my DX100 as a fulltime portable because of that. but other than that its a winner, as for the HE-6 like jamato8 said, you would very likely need a lot more power.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #12,313 of 13,503
  Back on pages 416 & 502  and the following there were discussions regarding the relative merits of the coax and optical connections to a dac. Some said coax was better, others the optical.  It's been over a year since then and new firmware has come out and people have had more experience with the DX100 and dacs.

Is there a clear consensus now that one is better than the other?

Getting a consensus might be difficult. I tried both coax and optical to my DAC and couldn't hear any difference. I ended up sticking with optical only because the cord was slightly lighter in weight. I also couldn't find a 6-foot coax cable that went straight from the DX100 to the DAC without an adapter.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #12,314 of 13,503
  yeah man I have the TH-900's and the sound is very good when just using the DX100. I like the sound better using my DX100 as a DAC paired with my HiFiMAN EF-6, makes it sound a little more laidback, which I personally really like, the DX100 on its own is a bit more forward, but I would definitely consider it an endgame rig. The only thing I dislike about running my DX100 all the time is the fact that I have to charge it pretty often, and I am considering upgrading to a standalone DAC and use my DX100 as a fulltime portable because of that. but other than that its a winner, as for the HE-6 like jamato8 said, you would very likely need a lot more power.

Hmm I see. Ok, that's slightly disappointing since everywhere I read, it said that the DX100 is the strongest DAP on the market currently and can power pretty much any headphone. I guess if the DX100 can't power the HE6 no other DAP can. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back