iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Mar 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #11,131 of 13,503
Well our source files could have totally different avg volume levels, for one thing. Another variable is that my ears are 54 years old. How old are your ears?

Sent from my Android phone.

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #11,132 of 13,503
To answer your questions:

I'm using JH16 and 8.A - the 8.A tend to need more volume than the JH16 anyway.
However, assuming we're talking about the JH16 - I have always had the player around the upper 130 \ lower 140 setting in the office.
Although there are variances in the different tracks, they are generally the same ones I have been listening to for months - give or take the odd new album.

Wow - I would have found that painful at 190 plus.....not so sure now...might have to see how the player sounds now at that volume.
The EQ has always been set to Closed (off)  - it does get louder if I switch it to Open(On)

@Rozeqcloud - Love his new album. I play it most days and I appreciate the brilliance of it more with each listen. There are so many layers to each of the tracks, I seem to discover something new with each listen.
I found on first few listens that it appeared disjointed and random - That I think is its brilliance, because as you listen to it more, you discover that it is anything but random and that each song is carefully crafted and the whole album fits together as one. For example, its taken a while for what I thought was just a cacophony of sounds at the beginning of "Holy Drinker", to click and understand that it is not just random sounds, but that it all flows and fits together.
Each time I get to the closing bars of "The Raven", I find myself thinking...."Is that it? Has it really been an hour!!! "

I guess I'll let iBasso know and keep an ear on it and see if the volume keeps going down over the next few weeks.

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #11,134 of 13,503
Quote:
Well our source files could have totally different avg volume levels, for one thing. Another variable is that my ears are 54 years old. How old are your ears?

Left or right ?

How about just averaging them?

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #11,136 of 13,503
Quote:
How about just averaging them?

Dont know what you mean?

But, the point is the sound was louder and appears to be getting quieter...or my hearing has been deteriorating over the last month

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #11,137 of 13,503
Well, that's quite a bit younger than mine. Ears do lose some of their acuity as we age.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #11,138 of 13,503
I'm 32 and with the 8.A I'm on medium gain with the volume from 170 to 200 depending on mood and material.

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #11,140 of 13,503
Mine doesn't or hasn't changed, though I do over time.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #11,142 of 13,503
Quote:

I'm 60 and listen at about the same level as you with my W4Rs, maybe a bit higher with some genres. And I can tell you my hearing has deteriorated to the point I wear an in- canal hearing aid in my left ear so I don't miss anything at meetings and in conversation. Could use in both but don't. Looking at my audio graphs you should maybe get your hearing checked in case there is a physical reason for the loss besides age.

That said, I can still enjoy my music thanks to the DX100 and its amp.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #11,143 of 13,503
I am lucky, I think. My mother is 92 and hears a pin drop. You can not talk in the next room without her hearing, which isn't always a good thing. Anyway, I can hear such little noises it is distracting, in all frequencies. Often at work in ER with everything going on a doc will say something and I have to have them repeat because I am hearing talking in the background and all around me. I also preserve my ears and won't go to concerts any longer unless I use something in my ears, they are too precious.

The DX is getting a good workout. Still the best dap I have heard.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #11,144 of 13,503
Quote:
When you mentioned 138 at mid gain, you got me worried I was deaf. What ciems are you using. Because with Miracles 150 is a minimum for me, and with universals, 165 to 175...but now I see some people are at 190 so I am reassured. The volume is very different from one IEM to the other....

But otherwise did not encounter this problem. Are you sure your eq is closed ?

I'm always around 165-170 at mid gain with my JH13's.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #11,145 of 13,503
Ibasso seem to think it is an issue caused during firmware upgrades, so they suggested I use the DX100 Tool to completely wipe the unit and install a clean v1.3.7 - this I have done over the weekend. I am not convinced this has done anything - further testing required.

Can you guys confirm something:

If you switch the Custom EQ so that the bottom left shows Close and then Open - it changes the volume from quiet to loud.
Which is the louder one? For me it gets louder when it shows OPEN.

Am I correct in saying that Open = EQ ON (with all frequencies set to zero) and Close = EQ OFF

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back