iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #10,817 of 13,503
Quote:
Also something else I noticed. The DX100 makes headphone/IEMs that have volume control sound recessed really really far back in the mids, unless you hold in the play/pause button on the volume control. Anybody else experience this? Something figgie might consider looking into.

Okay.... For the life of me I cannot get this phenomenon with my Senn Momentums, B&W P5s or Shure SE535SE nor do they sound any different with the straight through cables. Tried both 1/4 and 1/8th inch sockets. 

Just a couple questions...

1. Does this happen with an App player like Poweramp as well as the stock player?
2. Do you have a third party button control app loaded to try and get the controls to work?
3. How many apps have you loaded on your DX? I'm leaving mine as a player and the only other apps I've added are a couple streaming service apps for when my mood goes beyond my collection.

Just a hunch there's some interference for some reason...

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #10,819 of 13,503
Hey, I have my DX100!  Love it!

Now that I have it, I have a couple of stupid questions:

I've read numerous times in this thread that it's a good idea to do a factory reset after updating firmware.  I always assumed what was meant was the standard "factory reset" under Android settings.  But then it occurred to me, there's also a "Reset" button on the side of the device.

So which is meant, the Reset button, or the Reset under android settings?  And does either one wipe out your music?

Second question:  Does this device support Replay Gain?  If so, where might I find the Replay Gain settings?

TIA

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #10,820 of 13,503
Quote:

I've read numerous times in this thread that it's a good idea to do a factory reset after updating firmware.  I always assumed what was meant was the standard "factory reset" under Android settings.  But then it occurred to me, there's also a "Reset" button on the side of the device.

So which is meant, the Reset button, or the Reset under android settings?  And does either one wipe out your music?

Second question:  Does this device support Replay Gain?  If so, where might I find the Replay Gain settings?

TIA

Reset under Android settings.  It won't wipe your music but wait for awhile before you freak out...it will seem like it did while it catalogs everything.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #10,822 of 13,503
Quote:
Okay.... For the life of me I cannot get this phenomenon with my Senn Momentums, B&W P5s or Shure SE535SE nor do they sound any different with the straight through cables. Tried both 1/4 and 1/8th inch sockets. 

Just a couple questions...

1. Does this happen with an App player like Poweramp as well as the stock player?
2. Do you have a third party button control app loaded to try and get the controls to work?
3. How many apps have you loaded on your DX? I'm leaving mine as a player and the only other apps I've added are a couple streaming service apps for when my mood goes beyond my collection.

Just a hunch there's some interference for some reason...

1. Nope, I just use stock player
2. I don't have a third party app loaded
3. I've only loaded album art downloader

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #10,824 of 13,503
Quote:

TIA

Just adding to the previous answer, your music is safe provided you don't check the erase SD card box. That is a virtual SD card and where various user files are placed. If you use file explorer on the DAP you'll see that all user folders and some app folders are under the /sdcard/ folder including your music, videos and gallery etc. If you check the box, this folder will be formatted essentially resets the DX to factory clean.

Also, although it shows up when you connect to your computer, do not save anything there. Also, it is recommended you remove any physical SD cards from the slot.

The reset button is used to reset a locked up DAP and used in a full factory reset process which I was asked to try by iBasso when trying to fix the stop play issue on earlier FW. 

The stock player nor natively in the DX does not have any options for replay gain but I can't rule out that it doesn't do this natively although I have one album I need to re-rip due to lower volume and it is still quieter than other albums. So I'm voting NO replay gain.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #10,825 of 13,503
Okay... I don't recall anyone reporting this before.... While A/Bing to check for replay gain I compared the same test tracks to my iPhone. The DX plays faster and a tone higher on the tracks I tested. SO I go get my Sony Z. Same as the iPhone with the DX faster/higher. For the life of me I've not noticed this before but now it does sound unnaturally fast.

Just doing a reset... I that doesn't work... I'm back to 1.2.7. 
confused.gif

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #10,826 of 13,503
Thanks!  I have to admit, the absence of ReplayGain is very disappointing. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #10,828 of 13,503
I've only had mine for a couple of days, but I did have an occurrence:

I was going from a high res, 96/24 file, to a redbook file.  The redbook file started playing at high speed.  I rebooted the DX100, and then the redbook file played normally.  I have not been able to duplicate this, I chalked it up to a freq occurrence.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #10,829 of 13,503
Ah hah! Reboot! Why didn't I try that first.... Just shut down completely and restarted. Speed fine!

You'd think a factory reset would fix that. But of course that does not fully shut down power to the DAP. So I am assuming that there is some capacitance remaining inside that means whatever has caused that did not fully reset without a power down. 

Weird.... At least I can avoid yet another FW reversion for the moment! Probably should email iBasso just in case. But no idea how they'd emulate what happened because I doubt you'd notice without A/Bing the same track to something else unless you're a complete whiz for picking key and tempo.

I wonder if this might, just might, be the cause of why some of us have thought we have been getting tonal differences with this or that track or day to day?

Gosh, I love this DAP but oh so many little niggles they still have to work on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back