iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Sep 2, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #7,651 of 13,503
Could we go back to my quwestions?

- which FW is better, 1.1.7 or 1.2.3? I'm going to use FLACs 16/44, 24/48, 24/88, 24/96 and 24/192. All my files all with proper Tags, I use them via uPnP with my LINN Majik DS without any problems. I would like to see every information from the files means artist name, title, album title, bitrate, frequency and of course the album cover.
- what I've read there is a problem with reading and showing the album covers from the taged files (FLACs). Can iBasso read it fromexternal jpg file which is put inthe same folder?
- what I assume I should buy the external 64G San Disc micro SDXC card and format is in FAT32? Is there any limitation to use it properly? Number of files, folders, lenght of names, files?

Reagrds.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #7,652 of 13,503
I already said 1.1.7 is better sounding. Doesn't sound distorted and off balance. There are others headfiers who have also confirmed this. Then there are headfiers who don't hear a difference. This will depend on you. As long as you have formatted the card to FAT32 and not put files much larger than 1 GB you should be fine.

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #7,654 of 13,503
I already said 1.1.7 is better sounding. Doesn't sound distorted and off balance. There are others headfiers who have also confirmed this. Then there are headfiers who don't hear a difference. This will depend on you. As long as you have formatted the card to FAT32 and not put files much larger than 1 GB you should be fine.

Lee, whilst I trust that you're telling the truth, I have to point out that the community has not agreed that "1.1.7 is better sounding". Some have reported a similar experience whilst others have reported the opposite. Rather than say it depends on the user, I would suggest a more logical conclusion is a discrepency amongst released units. Who knows? Maybe the older units have your problem of sounding off balance and distorted whilst newer units like mine don't? I will say that I have 1.2.3 on my unit and it sounds balanced, neutral, clean and very, very detailed.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #7,655 of 13,503
I'm not really sure. It could be a possibility. That would speak even worse of ibasso though with quality control. Spkrs has a unit from the second batch I think. Jamato and I have a unit from batch 1 and we all prefer 1.1.7 to 1.2.3

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #7,656 of 13,503
Quote:
Lee, whilst I trust that you're telling the truth, I have to point out that the community has not agreed that "1.1.7 is better sounding". Some have reported a similar experience whilst others have reported the opposite. Rather than say it depends on the user, I would suggest a more logical conclusion is a discrepency amongst released units. Who knows? Maybe the older units have your problem of sounding off balance and distorted whilst newer units like mine don't? I will say that I have 1.2.3 on my unit and it sounds balanced, neutral, clean and very, very detailed.

I much prefer 1.1.7 and it is most telling when you amp the DX100, then the bloated, somewhat muddled bass is very apparent. Having said that, I can imagine 1.2.3 would sound good on bass shy IEM or headphones, as the Shure 1840 sounded rather wonderful ! 

And the other thing is that the EQ. is just wrong on 1.2.3. Off it is using the default Android boosts, but iBasso decided to boost all eight bands as oppposed to Androids bass and treble boosts. With the EQ on and Flat, the volume is dropped by 6db(?) and makes everything sound distant and incorrect proportionately, at least, to my ears anyway. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #7,657 of 13,503
I have a unit from the second batch and running 1.2.3 my Heir 8.A sounds great. As does my Senn HD650's when using the O2 to amp them.

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #7,659 of 13,503
Quote:
Then I doubt its anything to do with quality control. Most likely some of us can hear it and others can't. Nothing new there.

But are you suggesting that it's our hearing that is at fault? We all have different hearing preferences, our age and shape of our pinna all affect it, however distortion is not preferential the same way as more bass is. We should all hear differences in sound signatures and especially additional distortion. If a sound signature changes, we should all hear a difference. If there's added distortion, then we should all definitely hear a difference (of course, based on how audible it is).

I grew up with music. My dad is a professional jazz musician and I play multiple instruments since the age of 5. I've compete in Eistedfodds and musical talent shows and performed many times on stage. I write, record and mix my own music. I'd comfortably say that I have the ability to listen critically.

So to suggest that I don't hear a difference because I can't or am not able to is a little mind boggling to me.

This seems to be a polarizing issue. Some like the new update and others really don't. There has to be a difference between what we're getting to create such concrete opinions on whether it's good or bad. That's all I'm getting at.

Lee, have you written to iBasso about this update? Maybe someone with the crappy sounding 1.2.3 update can send theirs in and see if it still sounds the same when they get it back after iBasso check it over? iBasso, afterall, are still a small Chinese company. Unique quality control issues are very possible.

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #7,660 of 13,503
No not really saying your hearing is at fault but you do have a good point about preference and of course age and other factors possibly playing a role. There are people of course who have better vision than others (my vision sucks BTW) and the same does apply to hearing. Sorry if I came off condescending. This is not the first time I've ran into a similar situation. Although that was related to a IEM and not a DAP. The EX1000 has significant treble spikes in the lower treble region and I pick up on it like a bat. Most don't hear those trebles spikes although there are some others who also confirmed the same thing. I have the MDR-7550s now and I find them much better than the EX1000s. I can actually listen to them and not be in pain. Even using the same tips and not getting sibilance when others were stating I had a fit problem.

I haven't written to ibasso lately because they ignored my suggestions for improving the UI. They said that they thought it was a good idea and would try to implement it but never did. I had suggested they get rid of the music graphics (when you scroll to the left on the main player and the "Do Not Found The LRC File!" screen and instead replace with something more convenient. So say if you were just on playlists you could just scroll to the left or right and you'd be back at that last place you were at. I'm a bit skeptical already about ibasso further improving the firmwares at this point without having discrepancies. I can live with 1.1.7 as is as long as I can have good, neutral sound without bloat and coherency issues. I also feel they should get rid of the secondary music player and function and just leave the main one intact. This is just hindering the players performance IMO. They have had a long time to get these things sorted and I've lost patience with them on this. I understand they are trying but how long will it take to have a reference DAP without UI issues?

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #7,661 of 13,503
About the music player UI, I think it is an usage enhancement rather than an "issue", since it doesn't block you from utilizing the main function of the player (i.e. playing musics). Agreed that the stupid "No LRC file is found" is a bit annoying, but to be frank, I find the current music player is already quite  stable and nice to use.

For the sound, I am using 1.2.3 right now, with EQ turned on and set to flat (all 0). It still sounds quite nice for me, perhaps I am lucky that I don't have "sensitive" ears as you guys 
bigsmile_face.gif

Actually I am quite happy with 1.2.3, with flac tag support, less drain of battery while standby and faster UI (not sure this is related since I do a factory reset after update and reinstalled only a couple of essential apps that I will use)

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #7,662 of 13,503
Well the main player isn't half bad. But whats the point in the side player? That just seems quite redundant and wasteful IMO. I haven't found 1.2.3 to be quicker or better on battery life either... The player seemed to take longer to load up with 1.2.3. I generally only use playlists to access my music and found 1.1.7 to be faster in this regard as well. Now with some of the other functions like albums and artists I'm not so sure as I don't use those to access my music. Everything on my device is ordered exactly how I want it via playlists and its the fastest and smootheset way to go through everything. Since I figured out how to get all my embedded album art to show on 1.1.7 I haven't installed any apps which seems to contribute to it booting up rather quickly. Give or take 35 to 40 secs and all is good.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #7,663 of 13,503
Quote:
Well the main player isn't half bad. But whats the point in the side player? That just seems quite redundant and wasteful IMO. I haven't found 1.2.3 to be quicker or better on battery life either... The player seemed to take longer to load up with 1.2.3. I generally only use playlists to access my music and found 1.1.7 to be faster in this regard as well. Now with some of the other functions like albums and artists I'm not so sure as I don't use those to access my music. Everything on my device is ordered exactly how I want it via playlists and its the fastest and smootheset way to go through everything. Since I figured out how to get all my embedded album art to show on 1.1.7 I haven't installed any apps which seems to contribute to it booting up rather quickly. Give or take 35 to 40 secs and all is good.

Actually, I am not going to promote 1.2.3. I just want to say if you are happy with whichever version of firmware, go for it 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back