iBasso D55 DAC/Amp...anyone used it?
Apr 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

revolutionz

100+ Head-Fier
This is on their Hibino/Japan website.  It seems like exactly what I'm looking for, using an AKM DAC (I'm just not a fan of the handful of Wolfson devices I've used)  I did a search for D55 on here, and turned up nothing surprisingly.  Looks like you can get them on Amazon also, and its listed as a Japan Import.

Any thoughts?

http://www.hibino-intersound.co.jp/ibasso_audio/3399.html

http://www.amazon.com/iBasso-Audio-Headphone-Amplifier-D55/dp/B00BZF49U6

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 56
Google translation of the Japanese web page for specs:

~~I adopt Asahi Kasei Electronics Co., Ltd. high-performance 32bitDAC "AK4480", enter via USB hi-res sound source of maximum 24bit/192k Hz, and output to high-definition.
■ Built-in (programmable logic device) "XMOS" PLD that XMOS Semiconduc tor of the United Kingdom has developed, it corresponds to the high resolution music sources of USB Audio Class2.0.
■ Operation with asynchronous (asynchronous) mode. To perform clock generated independently in the body side, and achieve high quality with reduced jitter.
■ output carries two lines, line output and headphone output (digital input only).
■ line output bus-powered. It can be connected to existing components without the power supply, it can be upgraded acoustic system easily.
■ operational amplifier section delivers sound quality and powerful placing independently the L and R channels will be driven individually.
■ adopt a three-stage switching of high / mid / low, the gain corresponding variety of headphones, earphones.
■ Body made of aluminum with high rigidity lightweight.
■ I adopt the upscale design of black / silver with hairline processing by hand by skilled craftsmen.
■ its long-term and continuous operation of about 20 hours maximum three-hour charge.

~~Frequency characteristic 10Hz ~ 100kHz,-0.5dB (amplifier)
S / N ratio 115dB (amplifier)
Digital input USB: 24bit/192k Hz
Maximum output 125mW +125 m W (16Ω)
Power Built-in lithium polymer battery
Battery life time You may be shortened by 20 hours ※ continuous use conditions.
Charging time About 3 hours
Headphone impedance 8 ~ 300Ω recommended
Connector 3.5mm stereo mini jack × 2, USB mini socket × 1
Accessories USB cable, connecting cable, Windows drivers for built-in USB memory
Dimensions and Weight (Excluding protrusions) W51 × H21 × D92mm, 120g

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 56
the most interesting is it uses xmos chip for USB which I haven't seen of on a portable dac. XMOS is a really good low jitter usb chip. Biggest issue with most portable dac is they use quite poor usb implementation like PCM270X series. doesn't matter what DAC chip you use poor usb implementation will always makes the sound less than optimal

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 56
Yes, I have heard of the XMOS chip, but have never experienced one.  My DACmini is supposed to be very good with jitter, and that also has an AKM DAC, so I'm quite hopeful for this one.  I think I am going to order it, just not a lot of specs on the power delivery, hope it will power my HD700's just as well as my IEM's

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 56
Is that the same DAC chip to fostex hp-p1 used? Interesting indeed, since I've never know iBasso use AKM chip on their line prodct before. I am not a fan of iBasso, but this one get my attension. Hehe
*iBasso use XMOS on D7

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 56
Has anyone heard how this device sound yet??
Now it's price dropped to 280 dollars.
I'm interested in this unit but it's hard to find a single review that is written in English!

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 56
I ended up giving up on it.  I bought a Centrance Hifi-M8 for my desk instead.  I knew I'd like the sound being I own a DACMini, and it is a perfect setup for my desk.  The iBasso unit looks promising, but I just didn't feel like being the guinea pig on this.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #10 of 56
I ended up giving up on it.  I bought a Centrance Hifi-M8 for my desk instead.  I knew I'd like the sound being I own a DACMini, and it is a perfect setup for my desk.  The iBasso unit looks promising, but I just didn't feel like being the guinea pig on this.

it's hard to decide. It's weird to not be able to find a single review. It came out 1 year ago.
No one has written a review yet. This unit has everything I need. I just wonder how it sounds...

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 56
I originally came across it because it used a similar DAC chip to my DACmini, which I liked.  I'm a big fan of Sabre DAC's but you don't find many smaller/portable's that use them.  So, in my search for a small DAC/Amp for my desk at work I found this.  I still wouldn't mind giving it a go, but I need to sell some of my extra gear first, I've started collecting too much as is all to common 'round here.
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #12 of 56
People on iBasso D42 thread are praising D42's sound quality. However, D42 supports max 16/48. It can't decode HDtracks albums or vinyl rips.
I have used DX100 / R10. Their sound quality is the best I'be heard. I'm guessing D55 is nearly as good as the other iBasso devices but no one has confirmed this yet.

Please write a comparison review when you buy this!
It sells for 260 now.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #15 of 56
I love this tiny device guys!!! It truly has 20 hours of battery life. It sounds much better than R10 / DX100!
It sounds 1.8 times more detailed and spacious. This product is clearly an upgrade from R10. It works well with my Nexus tablet and desktop. I'm totally impressed. It has a big sound stage, clarity, long battery life, durability, small size, etc. I prefer this over R10, Sony PHA2, HM901, and Geek Out 1000!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back