Ibasso D2..
Nov 28, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #16 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect that the Pico will be in for some stiff competition!

rolleyes.gif
A single chip does not a design make...

Not saying the Ibasso won't be nice/great/omg only that just because it shares a DAC chip with the PICO (and lots of other products for that matter) does it immediately qualify it as its equal.

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #17 of 529
Hmm Wolfson WM8740 DAC chip =)
Should sound warm, like Onkyo SE-200 soundcard, I bet D2 gonna be a tough beast
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #18 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif
A single chip does not a design make...

Not saying the Ibasso won't be nice/great/omg only that just because it shares a DAC chip with the PICO (and lots of other products for that matter) does it immediately qualify it as its equal.

You are correct! It could be superior.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #20 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are correct! It could be superior.
rolleyes.gif

Sure, but once again here we go down the hype road where products that are nothing more than words on a page are already considered the rivals of others. Can any one tell me what the D2 sounds like? I know I can tell you what the Pico sounds like. See what I'm getting at?

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #21 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, but once again here we go down the hype road where products that are nothing more than words on a page are already considered the rivals of others. Can any one tell me what the D2 sounds like? I know I can tell you what the Pico sounds like. See what I'm getting at?

Yes, but I also realize this site if full of hype. I have an iBasso D1 in which I have tried many op-amps. It is a very nice sounding unit which surprises the heck out of me. The latest set of op-amp I am using are the LTC6234 on the DAC and the LHM6643 as buffers w/ the AD8599 as the L/R. Next I will use a pair of AD797 w/ no buffers in the amp section.

I hope the D2 has sockets and op-amp rolling can be done. If so, it should (based on the D1) sound excellent.

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #22 of 529
Based on what they've shown for pcb art and the one prototype picture you're looking at all smd chips, no sockets, no opamp rolling.

And you'll have to excuse me if I think Head-Fi could use a little less hype so I'm trying to do what I can in measured steps to counteract that.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #23 of 529
I hope the picture being shown of the D2 at the iBasso site bears similarities to the D1. By that I mean that the D1's bottom is all smd just like the D2. Here is a picture of the D1 bottom.

DSCN1173.jpg

So it could well be that the top has sockets just like the D1. At least I hope so.
cool.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #26 of 529
yeah
i was told that d1 will be continued even d2 is out
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #28 of 529
That would be nice. I would love a small amp with a good discrete output stage.

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #29 of 529
What exactly is a discrete output stage?

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #30 of 529
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathwish238 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly is a discrete output stage?

It simply means that instead of a chip based output stage (typically called an integrated circuit) that the output uses individual components to accomplish the same goal. Either way can be done with great success, but some tend to think that discrete has an inherent advantage in allowing for more leeway in parts selection. So in the end it all comes back to the designer and how they implement the design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back