iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!
Mar 17, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #316 of 615
I don't recommend the ISL55002 opamp for IEMs. They are too noisy, and they don't seem that great with my headphones either. I went back to my 4841 and 8599 in buffer.

Edit: I switched the 8599 to the main opamp and put the 4841 as buffer. I think this is a great combination for me because it sounds a bit lighter on the bass. I thought my FreQs were bass heavy with the other opamps, so this works for me. I totally recommend the AD8599 for IEMs. They're great.

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #317 of 615
After a couple of weeks with my D2, and allegedly a high gain version at that, I am really pleased with the unit. I'm especially enjoying my KSC75's with my Zune/D2 combo. There's a really nice symmetry with these headphones. The low end of this amp is very noticeable, and adds a nice presence to many pieces of music that was lacking before.

I have a replacement low gain PCB en route. Might be interesting to do a side by side when this one arrives. Time to build up the opamp stash I suppose.

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #318 of 615
I will probably write a mini review but I picked up an IC from iBasso that they have on their web site. I was curious because the price is good and I wanted to try an aftermarket IC besides my own.

This IC is very well made and after 100 hours or so sounds very good. The connecters are well made and the whole assembly is quality. This is a nice change from some of the cheap IC's we often see and some of the mega buck ones on the market that can cost half as much as the amp.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #320 of 615
I have never clock watched, but I know it is over 12 hours. Not sure by how much other than it was still running at 12 and I left for a while and it ran out in less than 18 hours while I was gone.

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #321 of 615
Has anyone been able to compare the D2 to the Leckerton UHA-3? I'm really enjoying the UHA-3 with the DT770, but theyre almost the same price and I can still send back the UHA-3 for a full refund if it's worthwhile.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #322 of 615
With the AD8599 replacing the LT1364, the D2 sounds amazing with IEMs. omGJdklsfkas there's almost no background hiss with my sensitive FreQs. The soundstage, imaging, speed, and clarity are top-notch. I love it. I hope there are better opamps out there too! I love opamp rolling ability!

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #323 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not know if this has been discussed, but how long does the battery last as an amp only? Thanks.

ive ran it from for 15 hours straight through macbook usb to d2 using pink noise at about 12:00 position.

so id say, its about 15 hours as amp/dac?

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #324 of 615
I asked iBasso about the static i was having during low gain and power on, here is the reply

Hello, Andrew,
Thank you for your email.
The D2 is not designed to use when charge. When the power cable is plugged, the charging management chip will produce interference, especially, when the gain switch is in the low gain position. If you unplug the power cable. The buzz will gone.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

I guess we better not use the D2 with the power plugged in. Strangely, i find it sounding better with the power in, isn't it suppose to be the other way round where the battery source are much cleaner?

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #325 of 615
As I already said you should either send them back so they can fix the anodization or you do my mod yourself. It's not hard and it should work then. I don't get any buzzing anymore by simply plugging in the power adapter. No matter if I set it on low or high gain and no matter if it is turned on or off. The only time I get buzzing is when I plug in the power adapter AND usb cable, but as soon as I turn on the amp, the buzzing disappears (even if no music is running).

Btw.: Power from the power adapter is fluctuating while battery power is more constant. But if you don't get any buzzing I'd say: It maybe does matter in theory but not in reality. I played some music, then I plugged in the power adapter, listened again a bit, then unplugged it and so on... and guess what: I hear no difference at all. But just to remind you I tested this after modding it, so I don't know if there is a difference for a non-modded D2.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #326 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I already said you should either send them back so they can fix the anodization or you do my mod yourself. It's not hard and it should work then. I don't get any buzzing anymore by simply plugging in the power adapter. No matter if I set it on low or high gain and no matter if it is turned on or off. The only time I get buzzing is when I plug in the power adapter AND usb cable, but as soon as I turn on the amp, the buzzing disappears (even if no music is running).

Btw.: Power from the power adapter is fluctuating while battery power is more constant. But if you don't get any buzzing I'd say: It maybe does matter in theory but not in reality. I played some music, then I plugged in the power adapter, listened again a bit, then unplugged it and so on... and guess what: I hear no difference at all. But just to remind you I tested this after modding it, so I don't know if there is a difference for a non-modded D2.

Thanks alot, i actually tried opening it with some SI unit Allens, no luck....was really busy with work lately, i'll do the mod the in the next few days. You know what tools i can use to open it?

P.S, with the power plugged in, it sounds brighter and slightly louder, maybe giving the false impression of it sounds clearer.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #327 of 615
Hmm... interesting. It doesn't get brighter nor louder when the power is plugged in on my D2.

Maybe you have a high gain unit?

Btw. mine opened with an 1/16 allen wrench of my Leatherman ^^.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #328 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... interesting. It doesn't get brighter nor louder when the power is plugged in on my D2.

Maybe you have a high gain unit?

Btw. mine opened with an 1/16 allen wrench of my Leatherman ^^.

before your mod, did you hear the buzz when the music is on or when the unit is completely turned off?

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #329 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
before your mod, did you hear the buzz when the music is on or when the unit is completely turned off?

With music I couldn't hear it but I did this mod already on the second day owning it, so it might be that I didn't concentrate enough to hear the buzz.

But I am sure that I heard it when I plugged in both the power adapter and the USB cable WHILE the unit was turned off. And I remind that when both things were plugged in, as soon as I switched to high gain mode or turned on the unit, the static was gone - even without music.

Now it doesn't matter what I plug in and if the unit is turned off or on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back