iBasso D2: Boa Review (56K i shall slay thee!)
Sep 17, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #91 of 116
I noticed the same on the first day I received my D2 Boa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htbyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Line out?

I noticed that a mini-mini partially inserted into the input jack produces sound from the DAC even when the amp is turned off (pot clicked all the way left & front blue light off). This appears similar to the line-out function on the python and other amps from ibasso, except that it doesn't work with a plug fully inserted into the jack. Can anyone else confirm this operation? (It works with headphones too -- I tested without them on my head to avoid hearing damage, although the output level was not that high actually.) Any idea how to get this to work reliably? Is there a different type of mini-plug that will capture this output? I would love to have the option of line-out with this amp (I would have bought the Python but I wanted the USB charging capability).

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #92 of 116
OK, I'm a believer. I've got about 100 hours on the amp now and it is much improved -- quite musical with better bass impact and detail. Lots of air and good soundstage as previously mentioned. No longer seems so warm -- better balanced now (still warmer than the G-Lite or Portaphile, but that's to be expected). Drives the HF-1s very nicely, although they will not be my usual cans (need to find a good travel phone with Boa synergy -- any suggestions?).

Many thanks to Larry for the burn-in advice. A nice addition to the line-up.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #93 of 116
Battery life on the Boa is insane. I've been using mine out of the box since I got it. Haven't charged it once.

I have around 18-19 hours on it currently and .......yeah you can tell that something's changed. I'm going to keep burning it in and see how much more I can get out of it.

This thing is really impressing me. I love it.

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #94 of 116
Hey btw..

what are the Specs of the DAC?

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #95 of 116
Nice review, very helpful. I just purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm myself, and I was looking for a good portable dac/amp with USB capability and the iBasso D2 Boas seem like a good fit. So can you use the input on the front to utilize the DAC as well, or is the DAC only used through the USB/computer connection? Would this be your best recommendation for less than $200?

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #96 of 116
See: UPDATED 01/04 REVIEW 12 USB DAC amps - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

You may find the mids on the D2 Boa too laid back for the DT-770 if you think they are already a little recessed. I believe the Darth Beyer (woodied re-cabled 32ohm 770) would not get along with the Boa because of the Darth Beyer's bumped midbass and recessed mids would both be made worse by it.

The iBasso D3 ($219), or XM5 ($245) or 3MOVE ($260) would be better choices (unless you have an iPhone and don't want the D3 to buzz from it). Those may still have too much bass for the 770, but they have very controlled bass so it should be okay. (PS: there may still be some 2MOVE b-stock for $160, jump on it).

I did try the Meier Headsix with the Darth Beyer and they were a perfect match, but alas no USB DAC with that one. Now, the Nuforce Icon Mobile has more forward mids and tight but not bloated or excessive bass, and it might get along even better - except I hear the 770 highs can be a little harsh without mods and the Nuforce might make that worse.

As for DAC or analog input. With these amps you get a USB port on the back, and an analog input on the front. If there is something plugged into the analog they ignore the USB, except the XM5 that has a physical switch instead of doing it automatically.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #97 of 116
Thanks for the response, so you think the iBasso D3 is worth the $80 upgrade? Will the iBasso D2 make $165 worth of a difference as compared to listening to my DT 770s from onboard laptop audio? I'm not sure if an amp and/or DAC is worth the money, I only want to get one if it's going to make a big difference.

So the analog input only utilizes the iBasso D2 as an amp, and bypasses the DAC? Thanks for the recommendations, but >$200 is a little steep
frown.gif
I hope there is a more affordable solution

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #99 of 116
Prior to stumbling across this thread I was set on buying the D3. But now, I'm debating between that and the D2. I guess it comes down to rechargibilty (is that a word?) or sound quality. Is there a real significant difference between the two?

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #100 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prior to stumbling across this thread I was set on buying the D3. But now, I'm debating between that and the D2. I guess it comes down to rechargibilty (is that a word?) or sound quality. Is there a real significant difference between the two?

Yes, read Skylab's portable amp review and my review on those amps - the D3 is a step above the D2 Boa. (see link to mine in my public profile "about me")

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #101 of 116
Thanks again, HPA.
smily_headphones1.gif

I ordered the D3.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #102 of 116
Thanks for the response Larry, I always learn a lot from your posts. So the only options for a DAC/amp below $200 is the Nuforce Icon Mobile and the iBasso D2 Boa? Which is recommended? I appreciate all the help, this site has got me spending $$$ like no other

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #103 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See: UPDATED 01/04 REVIEW 12 USB DAC amps - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

You may find the mids on the D2 Boa too laid back for the DT-770 if you think they are already a little recessed. I believe the Darth Beyer (woodied re-cabled 32ohm 770) would not get along with the Boa because of the Darth Beyer's bumped midbass and recessed mids would both be made worse by it.

The iBasso D3 ($219), or XM5 ($245) or 3MOVE ($260) would be better choices (unless you have an iPhone and don't want the D3 to buzz from it). Those may still have too much bass for the 770, but they have very controlled bass so it should be okay. (PS: there may still be some 2MOVE b-stock for $160, jump on it).

I did try the Meier Headsix with the Darth Beyer and they were a perfect match, but alas no USB DAC with that one. Now, the Nuforce Icon Mobile has more forward mids and tight but not bloated or excessive bass, and it might get along even better - except I hear the 770 highs can be a little harsh without mods and the Nuforce might make that worse.

As for DAC or analog input. With these amps you get a USB port on the back, and an analog input on the front. If there is something plugged into the analog they ignore the USB, except the XM5 that has a physical switch instead of doing it automatically.

Ahhh!Now you got me second guessing my purchase of the D2 Boa!As i will be using them with my DT770/80ohm's.And i ordered it yesterday.Well that's your opinion.I'm going to wait till i get mine in a couple of days to make my own judgement towards the D2 Boa possibly enhancing the midrange and the overall sound.And of course my other cans,SR 80's,Philips HP 910's,M Audio Q40's and my Portapro's!And i have read they do have good synergy with the DT770/80ohm's.

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #104 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh!Now you got me second guessing my purchase of the D2 Boa!As i will be using them with my DT770/80ohm's.And i ordered it yesterday.Well that's your opinion.I'm going to wait till i get mine in a couple of days to make my own judgement towards the D2 Boa possibly enhancing the midrange and the overall sound.And of course my other cans,SR 80's,Philips HP 910's,M Audio Q40's and my Portapro's!And i have read they do have good synergy with the DT770/80ohm's.

Right, I am only making an educated guess, an opinion. Do you feel the DT770/80ohm mids need enhancing, the way I felt the Darth Beyer mids needed enhancement? I don't know anything about the stock 80 ohm version of DT770. I am mainly trying to keep the idea of synergy with amps and headphones on the front burner.

Also don't forget the D2 Boa needs a minimum of 300 hours burn-in, and up to 550-600 hours to fully develop (transparency and soundstage size). It is not a bad amp, just better for some jobs than others. Same with Vivid V1, perfect for HD600 and laptop listening, but not so great with Grados. Etc...

While people can often find something wrong with an amp in some aspect of it's performance, I think the upper-tier amps are less likely to draw complaints and their level of performance makes it harder to find fault with the sound - including amps like the Pico, Predator, 3MOVE, XM5, D3 Python, Micro Amp, and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back