iBasso D10 vs. Fiio E7+E9?
Apr 26, 2011 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

patanin1st

100+ Head-Fier
In terms of sound quality, which one would you consider to be better between the iBasso D10 or the Fiio E7+E9 combo?

And from reading around a bit, am I correct to understand that the D10 is more of a brighter sound than the Fiio combo?

I've tried the search button but couldn't find any relevant results. Currently have the D10's, but wondering if I go for the Fiio Combo to get that E7 portability would be a sacrifice to the sound quality.

Any other portable DAC+Amp combo that trumps both of these? I need something portable since I'm at a university residence have to carry them around across the globe when I travel back home.

(I'll be using it with a Sennheiser HD595 and 1964EARS-Q btw; listen to most genres except heavy/hard metals and screaming and classicals)

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 7
E7 will be a significant downgrade.
You should hold on to your D10.
You might want to get the E9 or something better if you move up to HD600.  It is not a portable amp, however.

May 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 7
The D10 is better than the E7. The amp section is much smoother, and has a sparkly quality. DAC-wise the D10's DAC is more detailed, but this is not a significant advantage unlike the amp section where the D10 is clearly better.

The E9's amp is significantly better than the D10's. It doesn't have the bright sparkly treble, but instead is very liquid and even smoother, and has loads of power, enabling it to drive pretty much any headphone out there that doesn't require speaker output or uses XLR.  

There isn't any DAC Amp combo I know of that trumps the E7/E9 at its price point. It's pretty much the king at that price point. But as noted the E9 is not portable, only transportable since it needs a wall socket. You can take the E7 out for portability, but the D10 is decidedly superior, though less portable.

If portability is an issue, my suggestion actually is to get something like an S9 or J3 and use that for portability. Don't bother getting an amp. The Cowons bring plenty of power for any portable application not involving full-size headphones that aren't normally portable.

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back