iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Sep 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #3,241 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've been without good audio for quite a while, and while I wait for my HF-2's to arrive, I started to get antsy to try out the D10 that I've had sitting in it's box for the last few weeks.

Only problem is that all I have for headphones are a pair of earbuds that came with my Sansa Clip. However, feeling desperate for music, I figured I'd give the D10 a whirl anyways, even though I'm having a helluva time trying to get my computer configured for audio.

So I plug in the crappy earbuds and...you've got to be kidding me. I may have to re-evaluate my perception of the varying importance of components in the audio chain. I am shocked by the sound I'm getting out of these earbuds. Quite a ringing testament to the D10. I am biting my nails for the chance to use it with a real set of headphones.

The difference between the headphone out of the Clip and the D10's headphone out is 'shocking'. I guess I expected it to be better, but in no way would I have predicted that there would be so dramatic a difference.

Makes me wonder about some of the folks that are running really nice custom IEM's straight out of a DAP. I've heard some folks talking about how "all you really need for high end monitors is a DAP". I'm sure it's adequate for truly portable situations, but I fear those people may be cheating themselves.

Very impressed with the D10!!

well i'm with you on that; but then youve probably seen my JH|13 rig and its not exactly straight out of a dap; although they do sound pretty amazing diect out of iphone 3G. not in the same league as out of DIYMOD->Duelund dock->Lisa III or iHP132CF->D10 | [here]
evil_smiley.gif
/->Lisa III [or here]
very_evil_smiley.gif

my D10 just arrived back at base for service/mods; i've been without it for a week and although i'm not exactly left wanting; I do miss it pretty badly. I even bought myself one of the new/ish super low profile sysconcept U cables which arrived yesterday. cant wait to try it out and drop the Blackgate NX HQ (power rail and output, both with suitable bypass caps)i've had sitting here for a while, as I had a feeling the dac was going to finally not be useable at all shortly, so I held off on installing them.

was actually really lucky; in the last few weeks in our national carrier has fully outlawed the transport of any device with lithium based cells, so a package (DIYMOD plus dock) I sent on the same day as the D10 was held and sent back
frown.gif
I had clearly marked it as ipod and they still accepted it, so they will refund me. Luckily I dont think they are actually scanning or sniffing them, because the D10 made it through and is awaiting clearance in china; being that its not as recognizable as definitely having a LiPol I guess it 'flew under the radar'

these new regulations that mean no device/object that contains lithium based cells is allowed to be transported by planes with travellers onboard (its the aviation regulatory bodies that have outlawed it) are going to cause all sorts of expense and drama for many companies, not least myself. I can use dedicated freight companies like fedex, DHL, EMS, but these are very expensive in australia (EMS not so much); so its not really a viable long-term solution at all. I will probably have to ship without batteries installed, to be done at the other end until I find a solution. or stop doing them altogether temporarily. is this happening worldwide; anyone have any problems receiving their D10 or other battery power device lately??

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #3,242 of 4,153
Can someone refresh my memory... what's the stock opamp combo.... I've tried so many I can't even remember now. Thanks.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #3,244 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reiniku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, how does the DAC end and the Amp end of the D10 compare with the Pico? I'm trying to decide which portable is right for me or if I should get a Compass.

The Pico is more powerful and I believe the DAC upscales but it only has USB, no coax or optical like the D10.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #3,245 of 4,153
How much better is the coax or optical for the DAC over USB? Well, if I'm going to be using it for my laptop at all I think that coax or optical isn't really a concern, but I'll probably be using coax/optical for desktop use. If the Pico is more powerful, what's the upper limit of headphones that it can drive? How well will it handle the HD650, K701, or DT880 '05 250ohm's?

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #3,246 of 4,153
Quote:

So I've been without good audio for quite a while, and while I wait for my HF-2's to arrive, I started to get antsy to try out the D10 that I've had sitting in it's box for the last few weeks.

Only problem is that all I have for headphones are a pair of earbuds that came with my Sansa Clip. However, feeling desperate for music, I figured I'd give the D10 a whirl anyways, even though I'm having a helluva time trying to get my computer configured for audio.

So I plug in the crappy earbuds and...you've got to be kidding me. I may have to re-evaluate my perception of the varying importance of components in the audio chain. I am shocked by the sound I'm getting out of these earbuds. Quite a ringing testament to the D10. I am biting my nails for the chance to use it with a real set of headphones.

The difference between the headphone out of the Clip and the D10's headphone out is 'shocking'. I guess I expected it to be better, but in no way would I have predicted that there would be so dramatic a difference.

Makes me wonder about some of the folks that are running really nice custom IEM's straight out of a DAP. I've heard some folks talking about how "all you really need for high end monitors is a DAP". I'm sure it's adequate for truly portable situations, but I fear those people may be cheating themselves.

Very impressed with the D10!!

Wait until you have 300 hours of burn-in on the D10 and it opens up some more.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #3,247 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone refresh my memory... what's the stock opamp combo.... I've tried so many I can't even remember now. Thanks.

ADA4841-2 main opamp, AD8532 (with a 708 or 711 on the chip as well) for buffers.

Also, reiniku, look at my D10 review which compares the D10 DAC to the Pico DAC. There is a link in my public profile, under "about me".

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #3,248 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ADA4841-2 main opamp, AD8532 (with a 708 or 711 on the chip as well) for buffers.

Also, reiniku, look at my D10 review which compares the D10 DAC to the Pico DAC. There is a link in my public profile, under "about me".

I just have to say, fantastic reviews! I almost read the review for every dac/amp you had there. So it falls into the ranking of optical d10 > pico > usb d10 dap. And it sounds like if I roll opamps I can get a lot more juice out of a d10. Going to read some more of your dac/amp reviews and see if it'll lead me to any conclusions.
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #3,249 of 4,153
Quote:

I just have to say, fantastic reviews! I almost read the review for every dac/amp you had there. So it falls into the ranking of optical d10 > pico > usb d10 dap. And it sounds like if I roll opamps I can get a lot more juice out of a d10. Going to read some more of your dac/amp reviews and see if it'll lead me to any conclusions.
tongue.gif

Optical D10 DAC section is only better than Pico with native 24/96 files downloaded from HDTracks or Linnrecords, otherwise any difference is hard to pin down with 16/44 rips, and I put their detail and soundstage on a similar level. D10 USB is not quite as good.

I have not compared my new Pico DAC only (no amp) in depth vs the D10 optical, but with 16/44 CD rips I may like the Pico DAC only better (when not comparing the amp sections). I need to sit down some day and do that in depth DAC only comparo, with line out of each (The Pico DAC/amp in the review didn't have line out).

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #3,250 of 4,153
One other thing, how is the quality of the DAC in these in comparison to similarly budgeted desktop versions like say... the Compass?

I think I might be finding the allure of a portable all too powerful and have decided I might just get a D10 or Pico, then use it one of the two as a DAP for something like a Gilmore Lite for home use. Any negatives to this? Or maybe just cave and get a Compass as well. Ugh, decisions, decisions...

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #3,251 of 4,153
Quote:

One other thing, how is the quality of the DAC in these in comparison to similarly budgeted desktop versions like say... the Compass?

I think I might be finding the allure of a portable all too powerful and have decided I might just get a D10 or Pico, then use it one of the two as a DAP for something like a Gilmore Lite for home use. Any negatives to this? Or maybe just cave and get a Compass as well. Ugh, decisions, decisions...

I have not heard the compass, so I prefer not to comment about it. I could be happy feeding a D10 or Pico into my electrostatic rig, but a good $700-1000 desktop DAC is going to be better. These little DAC's were pretty close to a $500 Apogee Duet or $400 Micro DAC optical, last time I compared them.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #3,252 of 4,153
I have had great success running my CD coax output into my D10 coax input, then running the D10 aux output to my Signature 30.2/K1000 rig.

The little D10 Coax DAC sounds mighty good. Good enough to replace my Headroom Ultra Micro DAC, which I sold some time back. Is the D10 DAC really better? Doubtful, although I could not hear the differences between the two. I do miss the switchable inputs on the Ultra, though.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #3,253 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait until you have 300 hours of burn-in on the D10 and it opens up some more.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm looking forward to it.

My experience last night has caused me to re-evaluate some of my previous assumptions about the audio chain. Under almost any circumstances, I never would have used a pair of cheap earbuds to listen on quality dac/amp. It's an atypical empirical experiment for which I never would've predicted the result.

I've listened to a variety of different quality amps and dacs with good headphones, but I always for some reason viewed using quality transducers as the prerequisite for any such experiment. That any observations made without using a caliber of headphones that can resolve the differences must be useless. That assumption has been thrown out the window (for me).

It's still suspect to use a weak link in the chain to make generalizations about the other components, but this experience helped me to better understand how the chain itself is based on relative properties.

qusp, that legislation banning the postal carrier from transporting anything with lithium cells is really odd. I'd have to imagine computer companies like Dell have got to be sweating a bit over that decision....

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #3,255 of 4,153
Quote:

I'm looking forward to it.

My experience last night has caused me to re-evaluate some of my previous assumptions about the audio chain. Under almost any circumstances, I never would have used a pair of cheap earbuds to listen on quality dac/amp. It's an atypical empirical experiment for which I never would've predicted the result.

Maybe you're getting desperately delusional as you wait for your other headphones to arrive
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back