iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jul 9, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #2,731 of 4,153
No hiss with stock amp..
The buffers don't matter here. Stock vs upgraded makes no difference.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #2,733 of 4,153
Ah, thanks for the info! Are the AD743 and the AD744 similair in sound or very different?

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #2,735 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, thanks for the info! Are the AD743 and the AD744 similair in sound or very different?

I would say more similar than different, when comparing to the stock opamps.

Do you have AD744OBCA or AD743OBCA there? When mine hiss with the AD743 (not OBCA) it is very mild and only with IEM, and it's less than that out of my Macbook or ALO Amphora, and worse with my Livewires and Westone ES3X, and not as bad with my Westone 3, and almost none with my IE8 or Phonak Audeo PFE.

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #2,736 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has someone already documented the changes that occur within 300 hours of burning the D10 in? Sorry 150+ pages is WAY to much to look over! What would you guys describe as the changes that gradually
ph34r.gif
occur in a 300 hour period of burn-in with the D10?

Hey Nuge, for me, the sound became much more transparent (previous to ~200 hrs, I thought the sound was way too colored), with a tighter bass and a more refined trebble...of course, some of it was getting used to the sound. A bigger change was when I swapped opamp configs after realizing I wasn't a huge fan of the stock sound.

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #2,737 of 4,153
It's an AD743OBCA. The hiss is not very audible with the D2000, but it's quite noticable with the SE530's. Again, only when there isn't any music played.
I must've been spoiled by the super-silentness of the Move
tongue.gif

edit. WRONG! my bad, it's a AD744OBCA

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #2,738 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by DonJuan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Nuge, for me, the sound became much more transparent (previous to ~200 hrs, I thought the sound was way too colored), with a tighter bass and a more refined trebble...of course, some of it was getting used to the sound. A bigger change was when I swapped opamp configs after realizing I wasn't a huge fan of the stock sound.

I had a similar experience as DonJuan. About Opamps...I feel the stock configuration feels kind of "heavy handed"...Try the ADA4841-2 w/LMH6643s or better yet the LTC6241HV or OPA2228 w/ those buffers or AD8656 as buffers .... I appreciate the finer detail, harmonic complexities and subtleties, as well as more of a lower, more "barritone" presentation (a bigger emphasis on lower frequencies in the musical spectrum)

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #2,739 of 4,153
Quote:

It's an AD743OBCA. The hiss is not very audible with the D2000, but it's quite noticable with the SE530's. Again, only when there isn't any music played.
I must've been spoiled by the super-silentness of the Move
tongue.gif

If I recall, HiFlight mentioned hiss is more audible with wider-bandwidth opamps like the 743...which of course, probably doesn't help you much...but just thought I throw that detail in there.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #2,740 of 4,153
Okay, so after some macro photos and cleaning up in Photoshop.. yeah, it's really THAT tiny and smudged I came to the conclusion that is a AD744 OBCA.
So am I knit picking on this? Is there anyone with the same setup (AD744OBCA/EL8201) and Shure SE530's that can confirm/deny the hiss?

EDIT: Oh, and it sounds darker than the stock D10 amp, but this is normal, right?

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #2,741 of 4,153
Quote:

Okay, so after some macro photos and cleaning up in Photoshop.. yeah, it's really THAT tiny and smudged I came to the conclusion that is a AD744 OBCA.
So am I knit picking on this? Is there anyone with the same setup (AD744OBCA/EL8201) and Shure SE530's that can confirm/deny the hiss?

EDIT: Oh, and it sounds darker than the stock D10 amp, but this is normal, right?

1) My AD744OBCA is dead silent with even high sensitivity customs, unlike my AD743 and AD746. You are experiencing something I have not.

2) My AD744OCA (and AD743 or AD746) are all brighter than the stock D10 opamp, not darker. So that is another odd finding on your end.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #2,744 of 4,153
Quote:

..... So am I knit picking on this? Is there anyone with the same setup (AD744OBCA/EL8201) and Shure SE530's that can confirm/deny the hiss?

With the phones and D10 configuration you are asking about, I can hear a very faint something (definitely not loud enough or sibilant enough to be called a hiss - I referred to it as a slow, quiet exhale). It is so faint and indistinct that I have to remind myself to listen for it (when no music is playing) to hear it at all. In the midst of a track, when a period of silence occurs, I don't notice it. From my D10, this very low level sound is not constant, but intermittent. It's there every second, but, over each second, it's only present about 40 percent of the time. This sound also does not change its volume as the pot is rotated in either direction.

That it is loud enough for you to call it a hiss, and that it is bothering you is an experience that you are having that I am not (D10, AD744 OBCA/EL8201, Shure SE530).

Now, something that we have more in common: I, too, hear the sound through this setup to be darker than that through the stock D10 amp. I wouldn't really characterize it as darker though. What seems to me more notable is that it has a layer of glare removed (enabling the much clearer hearing of what is below the glare) - with what remains to be heard is nicely illuminated. Using a visual experience as a description, I'd liken it to seeing through a mildly glared windshield using polarized sunglasses. That it's darker is not the main difference, but that the layer of glare is removed. That is my listening experience with the AD744 OBCA/EL8201 topkit. That said, the difference which is causing you to hear a distinct and distracting hiss (which I do not) may also be causing you to hear the effect of the topkit differently as well.

Are these descriptions helping you to get some perspective on what you are hearing using your D10?

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #2,745 of 4,153
I wonder much much the new Blackgates could be involved in the hiss, or the dark sound? I also wonder how it will sound (dark or not) after the Blackgate caps are fully burned in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back