iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Apr 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #1,861 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that was only for testing. The kit will consist of (2) AD743 opamps silver-soldered directly to an adapter. There are no sockets, so the adapter will fit very nicely with plenty of clearance in the LR socket of the D10.

While many buffers sounded good to me, IMO, the best of all the trials was when using the AD8616. (2) of these are required as well. They are silver-soldered to a gold-plated adapter that is smaller than the browndog and will fit side-by-side in the buffer sockets without having to file edges.

The AD8616 has a very low quiescent current draw, but is capable of outputting a very respectable amount of current. It is low-noise, can swing voltage rail-to-rail, is unity gain stable and has nearly perfect squarewave response. All of these are characteristics of a really good buffer.

The AD743 has long been one of my favorite audio opamps, but is becoming very scarce, as the 8-pin DIP version is no longer being produced.

The 743 was primarily used in sonar applications but due to the very low noise and distortion specifications it works beautifully in audio applications. It is a very accurate opamp that is superbly well-balanced across the entire audio spectrum. Instruments and vocals are both reproduced very realistically.

The 743/8616 have an excellent synergy and, IMO, allows the D10 to really exhibit its full potential.

Please PM me for further details. It is not my intention for this post to be business-related, but rather a service for those who do not feel comfortable soldering small expensive devices.

All you had to say was, "No, the cover will fit".
tongue.gif

Count me in!

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #1,863 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that was only for testing. The kit will consist of (2) AD743 opamps silver-soldered directly to an adapter. There are no sockets, so the adapter will fit very nicely with plenty of clearance in the LR socket of the D10.

While many buffers sounded good to me, IMO, the best of all the trials was when using the AD8616. (2) of these are required as well. They are silver-soldered to a gold-plated adapter that is smaller than the browndog and will fit side-by-side in the buffer sockets without having to file edges.

The AD8616 has a very low quiescent current draw, but is capable of outputting a very respectable amount of current. It is low-noise, can swing voltage rail-to-rail, is unity gain stable and has nearly perfect squarewave response. All of these are characteristics of a really good buffer.

The AD743 has long been one of my favorite audio opamps, but is becoming very scarce, as the 8-pin DIP version is no longer being produced.

The 743 was primarily used in sonar applications but due to the very low noise and distortion specifications it works beautifully in audio applications. It is a very accurate opamp that is superbly well-balanced across the entire audio spectrum. Instruments and vocals are both reproduced very realistically.

The 743/8616 have an excellent synergy and, IMO, allows the D10 to really exhibit its full potential.

Please PM me for further details. It is not my intention for this post to be business-related, but rather a service for those who do not feel comfortable soldering small expensive devices.

DAMN Ron, you mean I have to buy MORE op-amps from you? i'm more interested in the buffers TBH, but single channel options sounds interesting too. please hold one for me, but dont worry about soldering it all up. I can do that. but if you can keep the parts for me that would be great.

jamato, very interested in your impressions once you burn the caps in, I have plenty of caps to roll.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #1,864 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, sorry, I had to try it. You know sometimes I get the ole soldering iron out even though after years, I don't really get into modifying that much now.

So the D10 got nonpolar Black Gates vs. stock caps. What an a tight fit. I had to move the battery over, not hard and there was room but the length of the big reds was longer as was/is the diameter. The two big 1500uf caps got changed out as did the 470uf for smaller value but totally excellent, exceptional, nonpolar red Black Gates. They are burning in. What a tight fit. Not for the faint of heart.

Now, to try that top kit, if I can get the amp open. . ?? . . . oh, I don't have a top kit. :^( well I do have pay pal. :^)

finally you roll the caps... What is the value you are using? did you change the decoupling cap as well?

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #1,865 of 4,153
There will be a couple of more caps change after these power section caps burn in. That is the only way to know what change there is with each change.

I used 470uf for the larger ones, which is 2/3's less but the nonpolar retains the good bass as they are very fast with a very, very low esr and 220uf for the 470uf. It is not an easy fit.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #1,866 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It won't be from iBasso.

sorry for being a little slow on the uptake, but are you saying that iBasso won't do a DAC only version? I was hoping to compare the DAC here to the Headamp Pico stand alone DAC.

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #1,867 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for being a little slow on the uptake, but are you saying that iBasso won't do a DAC only version? I was hoping to compare the DAC here to the Headamp Pico stand alone DAC.

The best information will come directly from iBasso. I would email them and ask.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #1,868 of 4,153
I want to order some new opamps for my D10 from Digi-Key (or is there a better place)? There are so many different part numbers for each opamps, and I have no idea which is the right one for the D10: Do I need the EL8201IS or EL8201ISZ, the AD8397ARDZ or AD8397ARZ, the OPA2228P or OPA2228PA?

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #1,869 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy855 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to order some new opamps for my D10 from Digi-Key (or is there a better place)? There are so many different part numbers for each opamps, and I have no idea which is the right one for the D10: Do I need the EL8201IS or EL8201ISZ, the AD8397ARDZ or AD8397ARZ, the OPA2228P or OPA2228PA?

Yeah, all those suffixes can be confusing. Basically, you need to look for "Dip" or PDIP packages, with 8 pins. The OPA2228P/PA is a dip packaging. I believe the "P" indicates dip. The "A" refers to a certain specification (DC offset voltage) that is basically inaudible, so you don't have to worry about the A/no A.

The AD8397 and EL8201 are SOIC, so you'd have to solder them onto a "brown dog" soic to dip adapter.

HiFlight has a bunch of opamps already soldered.

Also, make sure the voltage range of opamps are low enough for the ~4.5 V that the D10 puts out.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #1,873 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddy855 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HiFlight is your man when looking for opamps. i just ordered some from him and he is very helpful and communicative.

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #1,874 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone have any experience with the d10 on some ultra 780/750 or denon 2000/5000? enough stuff?

not with the ultrasones, but my woodied, MarkL modded and jena recabled D2000 (think of them like D5000 on steroids) sound great with D10, really superb especially with the OPA2111 i'm currently running. the OPA2111 hisses a bit with IEMs, but with less efficient headphones the soundstage is to die for and the bass slam is immense for a portable; in fact i'm even using it with IEMs sometimes because I can put up with it (the hiss) with very spaciouys music because the rest of its performance is soooo wonderful. all the same the lisa via D10 aux is better
evil_smiley.gif
however the D10 drives or rather synergizes better with the D10 than my pico did.

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #1,875 of 4,153
Modded D2000 here too, and they do very well with the D10, but so did my Edition 9. However, the Edition 9 did even better off the ALO Amphora than off the D10 or other portable amps - The Amphora was almost enough to keep me from selling the Ed 9 except that I needed money to pay for my HD800 and wasn't using the Ed 9 as much as the D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back