iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Feb 27, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #1,096 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw it was crap
biggrin.gif
but just to try it was the shorter I have, I have to buy a better one!

Thanks!

Unfortunately the S9 has just the Hp-out!

Immediately as first impression it doesn't seem improve the SQ!

The times where an amp tends to improve the headphone out's sound quality is (1) if the impedance of the headphones don't work well with the DAP and cause bass roll off or loss of soundstage, where an amp could help that - or (2) if the headphones need more power or current than the DAP can supply.

A line out can help you avoid amplifying the already amplified and possibly distorter sound from the DAP headphone out.

Your next step is to acquire a DAP with line out.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #1,098 of 4,153
I need some quick help guys. I sent my D1 back to iBasso to have the headphone input jack repaired. At the same time they've agreed to reduce the gain for me. The gain is too high for my Shure SE530'S...the volume knob at the lowest setting is almost too high, to the point of having channel imbalance as I try to keep it bearable at the lowest setting. Of course with my ER-4S's it's fine.

iBasso just told me that the D1 is set to +10db gain. They want to know what db to set it at?

So I saw that the D10 has a +3 or +10db switch. If I choose +3db, is it going to still be high enough on my D1 to drive heavy duty headphones well? At least my ER-4S, but if I sell my D1, will +3db be too low for someone else? I don't have headphones that really "require" an amp, so I don't know how to answer this...Should I go somewhere in between, like +5 or +6db to future proof it? I don't want to have to send it back to China again...

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #1,099 of 4,153
It is most likely his from the source since you are coming out of the headphone amp section. Try the optical link to the computer.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #1,100 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The times where an amp tends to improve the headphone out's sound quality is (1) if the impedance of the headphones don't work well with the DAP and cause bass roll off or loss of soundstage, where an amp could help that - or (2) if the headphones need more power or current than the DAP can supply.

A line out can help you avoid amplifying the already amplified and possibly distorter sound from the DAP headphone out.

Your next step is to acquire a DAP with line out.

Understood, I think the S9 is enough for the IE8, now I will try with PC!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is most likely his from the source since you are coming out of the headphone amp section. Try the optical link to the computer.

Yes, I'm trying just now!

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #1,101 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some quick help guys. I sent my D1 back to iBasso to have the headphone input jack repaired. At the same time they've agreed to reduce the gain for me. The gain is too high for my Shure SE530'S...the volume knob at the lowest setting is almost too high, to the point of having channel imbalance as I try to keep it bearable at the lowest setting. Of course with my ER-4S's it's fine.

iBasso just told me that the D1 is set to +10db gain. They want to know what db to set it at?

So I saw that the D10 has a +3 or +10db switch. If I choose +3db, is it going to still be high enough on my D1 to drive heavy duty headphones well? At least my ER-4S, but if I sell my D1, will +3db be too low for someone else? I don't have headphones that really "require" an amp, so I don't know how to answer this...Should I go somewhere in between, like +5 or +6db to future proof it? I don't want to have to send it back to China again...

Well I always found the D1 to have more than enough volume so maybe a 6 would do for most all phones.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #1,102 of 4,153
After some test I think the D10 is useless with the Cowon S9 (just Hp-out), I doesn't feel any improvement and it introduces hiss, I could try with 32/40 of S9 volume (80%) and untill the maximum of the D10 I could normally stand it!

From Computer optical-out I don't know exactly how to describe but it seems make the sound wider and improve bass quality (if it's possible do it), then nothing more at present but I have to test more!

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #1,103 of 4,153
Quote:

After some test I think the D10 is useless with the Cowon S9 (just Hp-out), I doesn't feel any improvement and it introduces hiss, I could try with 32/40 of S9 volume (80%) and untill the maximum of the D10 I could normally stand it!

Some people have reported hiss with the stock opamps and less by changing the AD708 buffers to AD8656. I didn't really hear hiss with either, but I did with an AD746 opamp I had laying around. The point is, maybe try different opamps even though it is likely to be your source hiss that is being amplified.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #1,104 of 4,153
That's not really what the D10 is intended for. There are plenty of other amps with no options that would probably work better.

Either way, using an amplified headphone out into an external amp, is usually a crap shoot. This amp is mainly for use with digital and optical DAC options, with the possibility of using another amp, not the other way around.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #1,105 of 4,153
Quote:

From Computer optical-out I don't know exactly how to describe but it seems make the sound wider and improve bass quality (if it's possible do it), then nothing more at present but I have to test more!

Don't forget as the amp burns-in it sounds better, even though it was nice out of the box. Mine went from tying with a 700+ hour D3 to beating them all in the course of about 450 hours.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #1,107 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget as the amp burns-in it sounds better, even though it was nice out of the box. Mine went from tying with a 700+ hour D3 to beating them all in the course of about 450 hours.

Understood, I will make it burn-in for a while then I'll see anyway I'll do more tomorrow, it's 5a.m. here so it's better to stop for now!
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #1,108 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to luca,

If you could get yourself an iriver h100 series or portable cd player with optical out off ebay, then do it.

Nope, I can't
frown.gif
, as Dap I have just an S9, an average Samsung (I think K3) and an old crap Creative Zen Nano!

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #1,109 of 4,153
I have a D-303 with optical out that I would consider selling, with two batteries and a 9v charger. But it (like many vintage D-303) needs to have the left side tipped up to not have the music skip some on the first few tracks. For me I just lay it on it's right side to it fits into a slot in my nightstand, so I can't use it laying flat anyways. I have 4 other optical PCDP to use, and those 4 all share a different battery from this, and have wired remotes, so I'm keeping the others.

Jam collects iRivers and I collect PCDP with optical. The D-303 has a great sounding headphone out, so I have been reluctant to sell it just because of that. The D-EJ2000 sucks compared to that.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #1,110 of 4,153
My D10 and P3 do a pretty good job with all my phones at low gain, so for your IEMs, a gain of 3 would probably be good.
If you decide to sell, I am sure you can find someone who is also interested in a low-gain D1.
I think that with a gain of 6, you would be unlikely to be able to hear much difference between that and the stock gain of 10. (JMHO)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back