iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Aug 26, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #3,198 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said before, HiFlight is sending me TLE2142 and LT1358 as my LRs with super dummy buffers, along with an additional pair of 8616's, and an opa2350. So I have some variety to play with. I was curious to know if anyone else has played around with these, and if so, has anyone tried these with the grado 325i's? I am still waiting for my opamps to arrive in the mail. I am waiting in anticipation.

f00... have you tried the TLE2142 yet? I've got to tell you... I think this coupled with the dummy buffers may be the winner. I've tried lots of configurations...after just a few minutes of listening (obviously I've got to log in some serious time) I think this combo may be it for me. Incredibly smooth/musical, yet incredibly detailed and with great separation. Curious to hear what you think.

BTW... I'm using um3x with um56 tips.... I've found that with the um3x the AD744/EL8201 combo produces FAR too much hiss. Others hear no hiss at all so I'm assuming it's my IEM's.... as I posted earlier, this isn't subtle... it literally sounds like a white noise machine. No hiss at all with the TLE2142 (or any other opamps I've tried, for that matter).

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #3,199 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, huh?

Oh oops

I asked a qn abt how the D10 compared to the IQube V2, but decided that was better off as a separate thread..

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #3,200 of 4,153
I got the D10 recently and I am completely happy with the unit.

I am using Denon D5000 with it and it's very good. I use them for work because they closed.
I tried my HD650 Equinox recabled (very good). It's my preferred headphone BTW.
I tried my HD800 (a bit too bright for my tastes). I only like HD800 on my tube amp ...

I found the unit about as good as a good soundcard. My X-Meridian with lm4562 opamp is better but not by a far margin. I prefer the X-Meridian over the STX btw. The D10 side to side with Essence STX will be probably pretty close. I have a good friend with a STX ... will be able to do easy test to test that.

No complain at all for the soundstage (width and depth). Just the mid-range is a bit blurred and not detached enough from the background. The highs are crisp and probably need to be softened a bit (but with the burn-in will fix that I am sure). The bass is very strong and depth.

I don't like music in my face ... I like it laid back but I want to hear the signer detached from the background (a step ahead).

HD800 for example, is too much in my face, D5000 don't exhibit detached vocal from the background, HD650 is perfect position for my taste.

I tested iphone with the D10 ... it's good but not match using computer with the DAC section in the D10.

I was thinking P-51 ... but it's more expansive and don't have any DAC.

D10 is a BIG step over a in-board PC soundcard or iphone / iPod touch.
I tried ipod + d10 using a el-cheapo headphone (in ear). I hear improvement for sure. No need use 500$ headphone to be happy. ...

But my suggestion, if you don't have already a good headphone, it's the first thing to buy. Once you have good headphone, add external amp.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #3,202 of 4,153
Fellows!

I gave the infamous "Toslink adapter interconnect" DIY hack a try, as outlined here:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5655128-post1981.html

I followed Viator36's advice keenly (thanks for a great tuorial, btw!), and all went absolutely dandy, up until the point where i was about to join the two cut-off parts.

Before glueing, I did a little test, connected the H120 and the D10 and started to play some music. With the cable tips in the copper tube, but the plastic parts un-joined, a slight bit apart, all worked very well. The tube seems to keep everything perfectly aligned. Alas, as soon as I started pressing the parts together, connection was lost. Tested in different angles, jiggling the bits around, but to no avail; as soon I start pressing (gently), no more signal.

I have an H120 without any kind of cover, rubber-banded to the D10 – the distance between the optical mini out and the toslink in is thus ~25mm center-to-center. It seems that this distance is too short, the little pieces of cable inside the adapter parts get bent too much when the parts are pressed together. It does indeed take some force to get them to join...

Am I doing something wrong here? :-/ Has any of you H120+D10 users had any success with this? I understand Viator36's original creation had a slightly longer distance, because of the casing on the H120.

Any input, ideas, thoughts?

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #3,203 of 4,153
Even though I've traveled with my H140/D10 rig several times before, I had some problems earlier this week at two different airports....

After an extended x-ray inspection, a TSA supervisor was called in both times to review the item, and both times they swiped it for explosives residue. Once, I was also asked to demonstrate the function of the item.

Ultimately, they let me through, but it took at least 10 minutes longer than usual. I may have to disassemble the rig prior to TSA inspection, or leave the D10 at home from now on if this continues
frown.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #3,204 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though I've traveled with my H140/D10 rig several times before, I had some problems earlier this week at two different airports....

After an extended x-ray inspection, a TSA supervisor was called in both times to review the item, and both times they swiped it for explosives residue. Once, I was also asked to demonstrate the function of the item.

Ultimately, they let me through, but it took at least 10 minutes longer than usual. I may have to disassemble the rig prior to TSA inspection, or leave the D10 at home from now on if this continues
frown.gif

Several of us have posted about near body cavity searches after not taking apart our iPod/amp rigs before passing through TSA screening, including me last December.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #3,205 of 4,153
Was looking at the iQube V2, it comes with USB connection and a Class D amplifier, The D10 will not be able to use Class D amp as it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the explanation. Now I understood why, there are many varieties of op-amps.

There are several amplier types/classes, and currently very interested with Class-D amp. It will nice if I can get the class-D amp out from D10
smily_headphones1.gif

example LM4667.. Output : 1.3W (mono) ... good for low sensitivity headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good as buffer, I think.

LM4667 - Filterless High Efficiency 1.3W Switching Audio Amplifier

But... the FR graph shows, it is not quite up to audiophile's standard
smily_headphones1.gif
200405d5.jpg

or
Analog Devices: Audio Amplifiers :: Audio/Video Products

SSM2315 or SSM2301 seem to be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #3,206 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by madwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was looking at the iQube V2, it comes with USB connection and a Class D amplifier, The D10 will not be able to use Class D amp as it is.

Thank you for the clarification.
Current D10 already offers more than what I need right now. Well, I still can listened to Class D (digital) amp, from my X1000 Walkman's S-Master headphone out
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #3,207 of 4,153
well I sent my D10 back for warranty service today. first the line-out went, second the HP out was a little sketchy sometimes and then finally the optical (though may have been an issue with my cable. so i understand they are using new type of minijacks and new optical. I hope they are more reliable. seeing the D10 only has 1 year warrant, it would be due to go in again just before the end of that if they are the same. i wish they made it with better parts. its one thing to have great sound and it does, but I would pay a premium for not having to worry about it breaking.

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #3,209 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well I sent my D10 back for warranty service today. first the line-out went, second the HP out was a little sketchy sometimes and then finally the optical (though may have been an issue with my cable. so i understand they are using new type of minijacks and new optical. I hope they are more reliable. seeing the D10 only has 1 year warrant, it would be due to go in again just before the end of that if they are the same. i wish they made it with better parts. its one thing to have great sound and it does, but I would pay a premium for not having to worry about it breaking.

Wonder if the jack flexing is causing solder points to break away? Although PCB mounted jacks are lower profile, they need to be fixed to the plating otherwise that'll happen. Panel mounted jacks will need cable going from them to PCB but at least when cables are inserted, all force is going to the plate, not down leveraging the surface mounted jacks back slightly. If the panel screws are slightly loose it'll fail quickly.

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #3,210 of 4,153
I got one of the first D10's and of course it has original parts with day in and day out use with many road trips and bike trips and drops and it still works flawlessly. Hopefully many others will get the same service. I am glad to see they are always looking at little ways to improve, which is true of most manufactures that care about quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back