iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jun 14, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #2,434 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew3199 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the Ibasso D10 be able to drive the senn HD580's?

Yes, no, or maybe! It depends who you ask and the source they use, and how loud they listen to music. Having owned both I can say that it drove the Senn to satisfactory level. I should mention I listen at a low volume level.

Jun 14, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #2,435 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey an optical cable comes with the D10. But I need...an adapter to plug one end into my MacBook, right?

Right
something like this
AQMINITO.jpg

(picture loaded from audioadvisor.com)

sysconcept adapters

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #2,436 of 4,153
Hello,

I am new to Head-Fi, did some reading the last few days... and this iBasso D10 is very interesting, and it's right into my budget for my upcoming amp. Initially I was planing to get a desktop amp, should I go for this or stay with desktop amp?

I plan to use my amp for and from my macbook, through optical most likely, or USB, then to my HD555 or HD280pro. I do travel with my laptop once in a few months.

Other question is, I live in Canada, if I order a D10 will I get customed by shipper? If so how much? Just trying to get a full estimate for the worse.

Thanks for help...

Jun 14, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #2,437 of 4,153
I can't answer your question fully about customs, but the performance of the D10 is right up there nipping at the heels of the best desktops, all for a fraction of the price.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #2,438 of 4,153
wow, the D10 thread has been unusually quite the last 2 days!!

I know there are people in head-fi that don't believe in burn-in of amps, especially portable amps, but after my experience with D10 I definitely believe it!
I just can't believe how many changes this small amp has gone through...at around ~70hrs, ~140hrs and now again...I'm not sure what hours I'm on right now but I'm guessing somewhere over ~220 (could be close to 300 hrs but I really lost count...). Yesterday all of a sudden the bass level increased drastically where low bass was wonderful if not a bit sloppy..I could feel bass in my body even listening to some newly recorded classical music (ie Andrew Manze) and especially with Medeski,Martin & Wood it was very nice but just needed to tighten up a little. Since this morning that bass level has gone, where it is more refined and tight but again lacking that tiny bit extra bass.
And now the last 1-2 hours, the amp has taken turn for the worst where voices have become distorted. Up until now never experienced distorted sound, so I'm hoping it will get back to that smooth sound I fell in love (especially with Norah Jones...).

These are all the major changes in sound, not counting the slow improvements with sound stage, instrument separation etc..

It's been one hell of a roller coaster ride so far, and to be honest I feel like I want to get off, hoping the SQ just starts to settle in...

As for now, just waiting for the distortion to go away and get back that lovely smooth mids I was hearing until today...fingers crossed..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #2,439 of 4,153
I never got any distortion. I would check all connections. Are you using the optical or USB?

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #2,440 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never got any distortion. I would check all connections. Are you using the optical or USB?

Hi Jamato8,

when I listened to Norah Jones' voice it was a very steely sound with some distortion on high notes (I hope its the correct definition..the edges of her voice is little loose which feels like distortion)....but after 4 hours its already slowly getting better...in fact the whole sound is becoming clearer as its changing..the distortion was especially apparent in Norah Jones' album. others were not as much affected.

I'm using optical..

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #2,441 of 4,153
I got distortion when the battery gone too low. That is with the topkit rolled in. I am not sure if you will get distortion with the stock setting.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #2,442 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got distortion when the battery gone too low. That is with the topkit rolled in. I am not sure if you will get distortion with the stock setting.

Hi Lee,
It wasn't the battery in my case as I had it charged in the morning. I also checked other songs and albums and it wasn't as obvious as it was with Norah Jones.
Just listening to it now again and the distortion is almost gone in Norah jones' voice. Up until today it used to be very nice and smooth. Now it feels a bit shrill but smoothing out. I'm putting it as a burn-in case. like I said the last 2 days it's been going through some changes again, with bass increasing and then scaling down. At the moment I'm quite happy with the bass, as its more deep than it was previously.

I just changed to USB and its the same so definitely not the cable...

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #2,443 of 4,153
I find that all of my Norah Jones albums sound the same way at higher volume levels...I think it may be the fault of the recording engineers. The recordings sound overdriven to me. They are the only albums that sound this way.

Jun 18, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #2,444 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that all of my Norah Jones albums sound the same way at higher volume levels...I think it may be the fault of the recording engineers. The recordings sound overdriven to me. They are the only albums that sound this way.

I definitely agree with you on the sound. That's why I've been using it often to see if the amp makes it better. I love Norah Jones but have found her voice a bit harsh at times without an amp. the D10 really smoothed her voice where it was really nice with no shrill or harshness up until now.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #2,445 of 4,153
Is that what they call "SIBILANSE"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back