iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
May 30, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #2,236 of 4,153
Wow...I promised myself I wouldn't post until I read every last page of this fantastic thread - just finished. Thanks to all for your insight and opinions. I started about 4 weeks ago deciding between a Pico or Predator - knowing I needed a quality Dac/Amp combo because I primarily listen from the Macbook and want a semi portable option (just to move around the house) - I tripped into this thread eventually and a week later ordered the d10...received it in about 5 days...have over 60 hours on it...ordered a sysconcept optical to mini cable from Joseph (still waiting for that - using a monster cable in the meantime)...and after all that can tell you not only am I happy and a bit more broke, but "THINK" I may have found my ideal setup for a while as I have been digging my listening experience quite deeply the last 2 weeks. I haven't rolled opamps yet and am fighting the urge even though I pull the little plastic box out and stare at it at least 5x a day...I'd almost call this more of a sickness than a hobby.

May 30, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #2,237 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...I promised myself I wouldn't post until I read every last page of this fantastic thread - just finished. Thanks to all for your insight and opinions. I started about 4 weeks ago deciding between a Pico or Predator - knowing I needed a quality Dac/Amp combo because I primarily listen from the Macbook and want a semi portable option (just to move around the house) - I tripped into this thread eventually and a week later ordered the d10...received it in about 5 days...have over 60 hours on it...ordered a sysconcept optical to mini cable from Joseph (still waiting for that - using a monster cable in the meantime)...and after all that can tell you not only am I happy and a bit more broke, but "THINK" I may have found my ideal setup for a while as I have been digging my listening experience quite deeply the last 2 weeks. I haven't rolled opamps yet and am fighting the urge even though I pull the little plastic box out and stare at it at least 5x a day...I'd almost call this more of a sickness than a hobby.

Welcome aboard, Lescanard. We finally got you here and sorry about your wallet -- don't worry, I'm the same.
tongue.gif

May 30, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #2,239 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Kimber USB cable that I had ordered from Headroom late last weekend arrived today. I'm using it right now with the D10 / Topkit and my ALO-modded SR225. It takes the spectral balance a step closer to perfect, with a richer, fuller mix of bass and mids with the truly lovely highs, and the dynamic depth an appreciable step toward the deeper end of the sonic pool. Timbre and tonality in this rig are a real treat for the ear. -snip-.

Sbulack, how does the Kimber cable compare vs other USB cables you've used? Can you tell the difference listening blind?

May 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #2,240 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't rolled opamps yet and am fighting the urge even though I pull the little plastic box out and stare at it at least 5x a day...I'd almost call this more of a sickness than a hobby.

Same problem I had...I kept wondering what new wonders were waiting in all of those exotic alternatives. Rolling the D10 is even harder to jump into as it sounds great stock.

Last night I installed a Hiflight topkit and listened with RS-1's for about an hour. It definitely sounds good. It's hard to go back and forth to compare, but it definitely has better detail according to my test tracks, and seems to have a nicely balanced full presentation. So far, I've been unable to put my finger on whether it has more or less soundstage than stock....but based on my listening so far....its staying in
smile_phones.gif

May 30, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #2,241 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by clasam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sbulack, how does the Kimber cable compare vs other USB cables you've used? Can you tell the difference listening blind?

I don't know how well I can tell the difference blind. I've got to unplug a cable and plug in another (and watch what I'm doing plugging it in) I can't really do it myself blind, and I don't have someone convenient whose interested enough in audio to help me. So, I always know what I'm using when I listen.

Here are the USB cables I've tried with the D10 and how they compare:
Kimber 5-pin USB(A)-to-(miniB) > a 5-pin USB(A)-to-(miniB) that came with a Western Digital Passport external USB drive I bought > Monster High Performance 5-pin USB-to-miniB cable = stock D10 USB cable. I don't always hear worthwhile differences using different USB cables. I suspect that the differences I hear are due more to the difference in the gauge of power wire used than because of a difference in the data transmission wires (since it is transmitting digital data, the signal value of which only has to be on one side of a threshhold or the other). I don't know that for sure, it's just my guess because the differences I hear between USB cables are the same kinds of differences I hear when I make changes which affect the quality of power supplied to a rig.

The main differences I hear in the sound from my D10 rig between using these cables when I indicate that I like one more than another are a)spectral balance, b)dynamic depth, c)timbral and tonal qualities (with richer and more real being preferred), d)openness of the sound.

The Kimber USB cable is a pricey USB cable (though not as pricey as boutique hand-made ones), and the size of the differences between it and the stock cable are not as great as, say, those obtained by installing the D10 Topkit to replace the stock D10 opamp/buffers. The differences are worth to me what I paid for the Kimber cable.

It'd be interesting to me to see what I'd prefer if I didn't know what I was using while listening. Maybe someday I'll have a local audio buddy with whom I can conveniently enough do single-blind testing.

May 30, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #2,242 of 4,153
SysConcept has a new cable for the optical from the D10 to a iRiver H120 or H140. It takes quick angle out the back of each so it takes up very, very little room and allows for the use of the remote. There is a 24 hour lead time, which is still very fast, due to the total custom make and time for the epoxy to set up. The price is 59 dollars for this great little custom optical toslink to mini cable. Its a MiniTM.

sany0017.jpg

May 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #2,244 of 4,153
Yeah, most likely because it is the first one, which always seems to have rough edges. I know that working with this small stuff isn't easy and getting the optical cable formed with no loss in transmission quality is the key.

May 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #2,245 of 4,153
I been lucky enough to get a 2 months old 2nd hand D10, 25% cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif

Has been mixed and match around the stock opamp and look for a good match for my Denon D5000 (Makkl semi-mod). At the end, AD8656/AD708 bring out most balance sound. Whoever has mod their D5000 may give it a try.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #2,246 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SysConcept has a new cable for the optical from the D10 to a iRiver H120 or H140. It takes quick angle out the back of each so it takes up very, very little room and allows for the use of the remote. There is a 24 hour lead time, which is still very fast, due to the total custom make and time for the epoxy to set up. The price is 59 dollars for this great little custom optical toslink to mini cable. Its a MiniTM.

sany0017.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks slightly primitive compared to their other wares.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, most likely because it is the first one, which always seems to have rough edges. I know that working with this small stuff isn't easy and getting the optical cable formed with no loss in transmission quality is the key.

The fact that SysConcept has catered to such an small niche market speaks volumes of their service. Nice work if you ask me.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #2,247 of 4,153
I know of very few companies that would/will even bother. You are correct, catering to a small niche market with all of our peculiar needs, tastes, and or desires. :^) Seems more like Joseph is doing for the joy of the work. I mean he keeps coming up with these and I am sure he has many thing to do. I have dealt with him for about 6 or 7 years and he has always been the same. Very helpful and courteous, I have always found.

May 30, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #2,248 of 4,153
Spending a little more time with the AD743/AD8616 combo....

The great D10 stock opamp synergy with my UE5c's is now gone when using this new combo. I'm now getting a LOT of hiss with these IEM's and the sound balance isn't as good as what I experienced with stock. I partially expected this as someone else had mentioned a hissing issue with this opamp set and IEM's....

However, my IEM's are just a tool for isolation in need. The real goal is the best quality possible with RS-1's and PK-1's. On this front...all seems well so far.

May 31, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #2,249 of 4,153
Yes I really like the stock opamp configuration. It has a very elusive quality. I like the Topkit also. It's nice to have these options.

May 31, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #2,250 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spending a little more time with the AD743/AD8616 combo....

The great D10 stock opamp synergy with my UE5c's is now gone when using this new combo. I'm now getting a LOT of hiss with these IEM's and the sound balance isn't as good as what I experienced with stock. I partially expected this as someone else had mentioned a hissing issue with this opamp set and IEM's....

However, my IEM's are just a tool for isolation in need. The real goal is the best quality possible with RS-1's and PK-1's. On this front...all seems well so far.

you might try the OPA2350 in place of the AD714 and jkeep the 8616 buffers from the topkit. sounds great with more sensitive IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back