ibasso d1 vs. RSA SR-71
Feb 10, 2008 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sango

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't found anything about this on the forum so im asking the question.

With a ihp-120, wich one is sounding better? Unmodded.
the soundstage, details and separation is what i prefer in sound, more to the analytical sound rather than towards the musical.

The D1 is over $100 cheaper, hows that?

thanks

andreas

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 11
From my previous D1 experience,
DAC/AMP combo (with rolled opamps, AD8656, LM4562, & OPA2111), tend to be analytical in some sense, but still musical, abit cold but not rash, there is a plenty of bass, soundstage is wide, but very laid back... like there is a distance between your hearing to the stage, the midrange are great.

I never heard SR-71, but my friend (He's iBasso reseller) prefer SR-71 with iMod over D1 DAC/AMP combo, and I personally prefer my Xin amp over D1 amp, however D1 DAC perform so great feeding my powered speaker setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 11
From what I've read around the forums though, it seems skeptical that the D1's amp section can compete with the SR71.

But still, there's nothing wrong with H1x0 Optical Out -> D1 -> SR-71 if you want it that way
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But still, there's nothing wrong with H1x0 Optical Out -> D1 -> SR-71 if you want it that way
biggrin.gif

I didn't have my D1 for long enough to comment on the amp performance (it had some failure in one channel and needed to go back for repairs).

From the little I heard of it I'd concur with the threads - as an amp it will need some opamp rolling (and perhaps other mods?) to get it to a SR-71 performance level (if it can get there).

I currently use SR-71 for transportable and Mini3 as an alternate transportable and constant ultraportable amp.

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 11
Using the same opamps as Capunk mentioned...the D1 stomps on the SR71 IMO.

The SR71 has the advantage that it's smaller and prettier(debateable), but the pricetag, as well as the fact that it doesn't have rollable opamps AND doesn't have multiple inputs AND doesn't have a FANTASTIC dac, make it a loser in my book.

With opamps rolled, it's a formidable amp. Just a bit big.... read the review in my sig if you want more details....

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 11
If we're comparing only the amp sections, I'll take a RSA SR-71 anyday.

The opamp combination suggested above for the D1 is pretty good. I've tried several other combinations as well. I still feel the amp section of the D1 is just ok. The dac is a different story. With the LT6234 (my favorite), LT6241HV or the AD8656, in that order, the D1 is a very capable DAC and sounds great. The dac is the D1's strong suit. I used my ihp-140 optical out to the D1 and a dedicated amp (Larocco PRII mkII) from the line out of the D1.

So if we're talking ihp-120 optical out to D1 vs ihp-120 line out to RSA SR71. The D1 will sound better just because of the dac. Get the D1 and a dedicated portable amp if you want even better sound.

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the D1 and a dedicated portable amp if you want even better sound.

I agree. This is what I did with an iBasso P2 amp (stock) using a sony pcdp digital out as a source and a SysConcept mini-toslink cable to the D1. Great combination.

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 11
im goin from a PA2V2 so i wonder, is the difference between the D1 and SR-71 a matter of taste or is the SR-71 that much BETTER over the D1?

both of them is probably gonna be a huge step up from the PA2V2?
smily_headphones1.gif

i dont like the thought of rolling opamps either, never done it before. yaddah yaddah,, think im goin for the D1 because of the DAC, and maybe ill just add the SR-71 for the amp..
biggrin.gif

thanks for the input

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sango /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the difference between the D1 and SR-71 a matter of taste or is the SR-71 that much BETTER over the D1?

Personally I think the differences are not huge between the better portable amps, but the sound signatures can be so the matching/synergy with your gear and your sound preferences becomes a matter of finding what's right for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sango /img/forum/go_quote.gif
think im goin for the D1 because of the DAC, and maybe ill just add the SR-71 for the amp..
biggrin.gif

If you have the budget I'd wholeheartedly agree - give you the best of both worlds and a choice of two amps for different types of music/preferences if you want.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 11
As one forum member put it, stop "analyzing choices and start listening to the music" (or something to that effect). This is probably very good advice. I have read through these forum threads about amps, DACs and so forth and decided to take the plunge on an iBasso D1. I like the versatility of this unit. I have no way of previewing other options for DAC/USB, but I want something that can be a headphone amp, but also improve sound from a PC. If there are other choices I should consider out there, I am listening.

I would hate to think that you would need to channel the throughput of the D1to another amp just to make the sound that much better. Seems to me that adds additional circuitry between the input and the output. Chinese New Year is over on 13 February, so I can place my order for an iBasso then. Any comments would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back