iBasso D1 problems
Dec 8, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The jack is supposed to get really hot when it's charging the batteries.

As for the repeated red/green light changing, it's because the power adapter doesn't rest well inside the socket. You have to eliminate stress on the cable in order for it to be stable. Even a tiny jolt one way or another can cause it to not connect properly.

Correct, and the same happens w/ the P2. Not a problem to me, I just live w/ it.

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #47 of 56
I don't think it is a jack problem. I had exactly the same problem with my D1. After doing some internal trouble-shooting, I determined that it was either a defective battery, as one measured considerably less voltage than the other one, or a charging protective circuit problem.

I contacted iBasso, and they asked that it be returned. Turned out to be both a battery AND charging circuit problem. Not sure which was the chicken and which was the egg. At any rate, they fixed it in 2 days and shipped it back. I received it within 5 days, and it has worked perfectly since.

I noticed that they added a small electrolytic cap to the battery charging circuit board that I think was incorporated in later production amps.

It did take much longer for the amp to reach them than it took to come back to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.magiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi.

I have a serious problem with my D1. Yesterday, after using it for a couple of hours on batteries, I've decided to connect the power adapter to charge the unit back up, without turning it off. After a few minutes I started hearing one of the relays click at irregular intervals (few seconds). Looking at the unit I saw the charging light go from red to green then back to red and so on, so I quickly grabbed the power jack and pulled it out. The jack was very hot.
This morning I removed the case and tried charging it again but I got the same result after one minute. The connector was hot, so I touched the two diodes next to the power connector and they were very very hot. The charging circuitry on the bottom of the board was hot too. I suspect something went wrong with the power adapter and I'm trying to get my hands on a multimeter to check its voltage. I really hope that the unit is not damaged because shipping to China and back is really expensive for me, not to mention the time it takes for it to get there/here
frown.gif

Does anyone have any ideeas on what might have happened? I was really enjoying the D1
frown.gif

LE: I've got my hands on a multimeter and it looks like the adapter puts out 12v without load but after connecting it to the D1, the voltage drops to 10.2v which doesn't look right.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turned out to be both a battery AND charging circuit problem.

Indeed, after taking a closer look I found this:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9...ct1619axs4.jpg
Apparently one of the batteries leaked and corroded the protection IC and maybe some other components as well. I have already contacted iBasso two days ago and my unit is on its way back to them. They asked me to scan the PO receipt for them so they cand send a replacement right away. Still waiting for their reply.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... my left channel is much louder at lower volumes of around 7~9 o'clock with my HD650.

Similar thing happens to me with my D1 and ATH-ES7. But its not a problem, because after the 8 o'clock position, there is no more problem. I listen at around the 8~9 position anyway.
biggrin.gif

And an update with regards to my original problem (see first post), reformatting my laptop did not help. Using another cable did not help.
Well, I've just had to learn to live with it.
Minor annoyance yes
mad.gif
, but not the end of the world.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Similar thing happens to me with my D1 and ATH-ES7. But its not a problem, because after the 8 o'clock position, there is no more problem. I listen at around the 8~9 position anyway.
biggrin.gif

And an update with regards to my original problem (see first post), reformatting my laptop did not help. Using another cable did not help.
Well, I've just had to learn to live with it.
Minor annoyance yes
mad.gif
, but not the end of the world.
rolleyes.gif

this is wat i observe..

if you are useing laptop, your laptop ac is plug in and D1(running on battery) is connected to your laptop... if your body has static charges(you are wearing footwear) and you touch ur D1, the sound will just cut away. you will have to on/off it for the sound to come back.. if your laptop a/c power is not connected, you will not experience this problem..

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #53 of 56
I inspected the lithium ion battery in my D1. I tried to find the manufacturer, but could not. It is most likely made in one of the off brand lithium ion battery shops in China. Quality control is not always best and lithium ion batteries can spontaneously fail. They normally have a safety valve located on top, so if they short circuit they can vent instead of explode. Even so, the vent gases are very caustic and the electrolyte is an organic solvent. If an ignition source is found they go boom...

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Could not tell but the battery may be a 2200mah. For extra run time consider replacing with a better quality 2600mah one, which I am planning to do.

Li-Ion 18650 Cylindrical Cell 3.6V 2600mAh - Highest Energy Density Cell in Market (LC-18650H4) - LC-18650H4

Just make sure to get one with tabs to have something to solder to and know what you are doing.

Dec 12, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audelic Norm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I inspected the lithium ion battery in my D1. I tried to find the manufacturer, but could not. It is most likely made in one of the off brand lithium ion battery shops in China. Quality control is not always best and lithium ion batteries can spontaneously fail. They normally have a safety valve located on top, so if they short circuit they can vent instead of explode. Even so, the vent gases are very caustic and the electrolyte is an organic solvent. If an ignition source is found they go boom...

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Could not tell but the battery may be a 2200mah. For extra run time consider replacing with a better quality 2600mah one, which I am planning to do.

Li-Ion 18650 Cylindrical Cell 3.6V 2600mAh - Highest Energy Density Cell in Market (LC-18650H4) - LC-18650H4

Just make sure to get one with tabs to have something to solder to and know what you are doing.

would be interesting to know what might actually be a replacement battery for this if some of us were to keep it past the warranty period and the battery fails.

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamboman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would be interesting to know what might actually be a replacement battery for this if some of us were to keep it past the warranty period and the battery fails.

I emailed iBasso about battery replacement and got this reply:-

Thank you for your question.
You can purchase battery replacements from US if you can do the replace work, or you can send it back to us, we will only charge component cost and shipping cost.

Usually, the battery has 500 time charge period. That means you can use the battery for 2~3 years.

I reported this in the other D1 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back