iBasso CF01 (Cable Free), BT MMCX adapter for any MMCX IEM.
Aug 22, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #46 of 209
I have already reviewed both the IT00 IEM’s and the CF01 MMCX bluetooth adaptors as separate items but I thought it would be a good idea to review this combination as one unit as it’s quite likely that they could be sold together. I personally think that this combination makes for a very cost effective high quality bluetooth headphone which can easily hold its own with the very best bluetooth headphones currently available.

At the moment I’m using the CF01’s in combination with my Magaosi K3 Pro IEM’s as this combination offers a really nice sound quality, good fit and a slightly elevated bass which is ideal for portable listening. The IT00’s offer the same degree of clarity, sound quality and fit but are a little ‘flatter’ in their sound profile than the Magaosi’s.

The IT00’s do make for an excellent pairing with the CF01’s though. The MMCX connection is nice and tight and, thanks to the slightly different position of the MMCX socket on the headphones, the fit is actually slightly better than with the Magaosi’s - it’s almost as if they’re made for each other.

20200805_155145 (2).jpg

Actually putting them in is a lot easier than you would think. Simply pop the IEM into your ear, tuck the electronics behind your ears (the stiffness of the cable helps to maintain a good seal) and you're good to go. The CF01's automatically power up and connect as soon as you take them out of the case and by the time you've put them in, they're connected.

Putting them back in the case is a lot easier than you would think as well. The CF01's feature pretty strong magnets which help draw the electronics to the charging pins. This works remarkably well and it's just as easy to put these back as any pair of TWS headphones in my opinion. Another really nice feature with the case is the internal space they've created to help house some of the larger IEM's out there. What's more, the case features a spring-loaded button which helps keep the case closed even with a slight bit of outward pressure from using larger IEM's or tips. The case also features USB Fast Charging and wireless charging which is truly excellent.

I won't bore you with the details regarding pairing - Needless to say it was straightforward and painless. Bluetooth range appears to be pretty good - certainly no dropouts under normal use. I like the physical buttons - touch controls are so difficult to get right - only Apple and Sony have really pulled it off in my experience. iBasso's single button on the top of each earphone works really well. It's easy to find, doesn't ever suffer with accidental button presses and has a nice, positive action. Unfortunately you can't control the volume remotely - good job I have a Samsung Smartwatch which makes this issue redundant.

Sound Quality

This is actually quite a difficult product to review in some ways. Obviously the overall sound quality is going to be defined by whichever IEM's you end up connecting to the CF01's. To my ears, what the CF01's bring to the table is a really nice 'platform' to attach your IEM's to. There's no significant electronic noise, there's plenty of volume and the sound character is essentially ruler flat. There's really not much more you could ask from a player.

The IT00's also have a pretty flat sound character in my opinion. Compared to the Fiio FD1's they has perhaps a slightly more elevated midrange and perhaps slightly more bass, but still essentially flat. This means that when you pair the IT00's with the CF01's the end result is a truly remarkable bluetooth headphone. As an ex-owner of the Etymotics ER4P's I recognise the analytical character this combination exhibits. I genuinely feel that from a pure sound quality perspective this combination could be used for those listening sessions where you're in a more analytical mood and really want to hear the details as they were meant to be.

The sound is crisp, dynamic and non-fatiguing. I suspect that this could be one of the few bluetooth headphones where you could actually run the battery down in one listening session. Now, in all fairness I have to point out a couple of things. Bluetooth headphone tend to pretty much cut off the ultra high frequencies that are at the threshold of human hearing - something that wired headphones can reproduce (whether you can actually hear them or not) and the CF01's are no exception. To my ears this really doesn't change the 'musicality' of these headphones and, at the age of 58, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't hear them anyway.

Conclusion

In my opinion the CF01's are not a solution looking for a problem. The improvements in sound quality from simply being able to use your own IEM's is a revelation. Even the best true wireless headphones out there tend to rely on DSP processing to 'shape' the sound to overcome limitations in their drivers. Whilst I love Sony's sound character and recognise that this is due to effective digital signal processing rather than things like esoteric driver materials, multiple drivers/balanced armatures and careful driver matching. The 'Flat-Earther' in me will always recognise factors like build quality and materials used, careful manufacturing and sound quality being the primary driver motivating the manufacturer - not bells and whistles, features and fancy colours.

The combination of the CF01's and the IT00's is truly a match made in heaven. I honestly haven't heard a Bluetooth headphone offer the detail and clarity that this combo brings to the table. Whilst it's true that there are some features that would have been nice to see such as LDAC, Active Noise Cancelling and remote volume controls, this really is nitpicking. This is bluetooth headphones for the purist. I love this cost-effective and fabulous sounding combination and very highly recommend it. Easily the best sounding bluetooth headphone in my collection so far. An easy five stars.

Aug 22, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #47 of 209
I have already reviewed both the IT00 IEM’s and the CF01 MMCX bluetooth adaptors as separate items but I thought it would be a good idea to review this combination as one unit as it’s quite likely that they could be sold together. I personally think that this combination makes for a very cost effective high quality bluetooth headphone which can easily hold its own with the very best bluetooth headphones currently available.

At the moment I’m using the CF01’s in combination with my Magaosi K3 Pro IEM’s as this combination offers a really nice sound quality, good fit and a slightly elevated bass which is ideal for portable listening. The IT00’s offer the same degree of clarity, sound quality and fit but are a little ‘flatter’ in their sound profile than the Magaosi’s.

The IT00’s do make for an excellent pairing with the CF01’s though. The MMCX connection is nice and tight and, thanks to the slightly different position of the MMCX socket on the headphones, the fit is actually slightly better than with the Magaosi’s - it’s almost as if they’re made for each other.

Actually putting them in is a lot easier than you would think. Simply pop the IEM into your ear, tuck the electronics behind your ears (the stiffness of the cable helps to maintain a good seal) and you're good to go. The CF01's automatically power up and connect as soon as you take them out of the case and by the time you've put them in, they're connected.

Putting them back in the case is a lot easier than you would think as well. The CF01's feature pretty strong magnets which help draw the electronics to the charging pins. This works remarkably well and it's just as easy to put these back as any pair of TWS headphones in my opinion. Another really nice feature with the case is the internal space they've created to help house some of the larger IEM's out there. What's more, the case features a spring-loaded button which helps keep the case closed even with a slight bit of outward pressure from using larger IEM's or tips. The case also features USB Fast Charging and wireless charging which is truly excellent.

I won't bore you with the details regarding pairing - Needless to say it was straightforward and painless. Bluetooth range appears to be pretty good - certainly no dropouts under normal use. I like the physical buttons - touch controls are so difficult to get right - only Apple and Sony have really pulled it off in my experience. iBasso's single button on the top of each earphone works really well. It's easy to find, doesn't ever suffer with accidental button presses and has a nice, positive action. Unfortunately you can't control the volume remotely - good job I have a Samsung Smartwatch which makes this issue redundant.

Sound Quality

This is actually quite a difficult product to review in some ways. Obviously the overall sound quality is going to be defined by whichever IEM's you end up connecting to the CF01's. To my ears, what the CF01's bring to the table is a really nice 'platform' to attach your IEM's to. There's no significant electronic noise, there's plenty of volume and the sound character is essentially ruler flat. There's really not much more you could ask from a player.

The IT00's also have a pretty flat sound character in my opinion. Compared to the Fiio FD1's they has perhaps a slightly more elevated midrange and perhaps slightly more bass, but still essentially flat. This means that when you pair the IT00's with the CF01's the end result is a truly remarkable bluetooth headphone. As an ex-owner of the Etymotics ER4P's I recognise the analytical character this combination exhibits. I genuinely feel that from a pure sound quality perspective this combination could be used for those listening sessions where you're in a more analytical mood and really want to hear the details as they were meant to be.

The sound is crisp, dynamic and non-fatiguing. I suspect that this could be one of the few bluetooth headphones where you could actually run the battery down in one listening session. Now, in all fairness I have to point out a couple of things. Bluetooth headphone tend to pretty much cut off the ultra high frequencies that are at the threshold of human hearing - something that wired headphones can reproduce (whether you can actually hear them or not) and the CF01's are no exception. To my ears this really doesn't change the 'musicality' of these headphones and, at the age of 58, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't hear them anyway.

Conclusion

In my opinion the CF01's are not a solution looking for a problem. The improvements in sound quality from simply being able to use your own IEM's is a revelation. Even the best true wireless headphones out there tend to rely on DSP processing to 'shape' the sound to overcome limitations in their drivers. Whilst I love Sony's sound character and recognise that this is due to effective digital signal processing rather than things like esoteric driver materials, multiple drivers/balanced armatures and careful driver matching. The 'Flat-Earther' in me will always recognise factors like build quality and materials used, careful manufacturing and sound quality being the primary driver motivating the manufacturer - not bells and whistles, features and fancy colours.

The combination of the CF01's and the IT00's is truly a match made in heaven. I honestly haven't heard a Bluetooth headphone offer the detail and clarity that this combo brings to the table. Whilst it's true that there are some features that would have been nice to see such as LDAC, Active Noise Cancelling and remote volume controls, this really is nitpicking. This is bluetooth headphones for the purist. I love this cost-effective and fabulous sounding combination and very highly recommend it. Easily the best sounding bluetooth headphone in my collection so far. An easy five stars.
Nice review! Congrats :)

I'm curious how the CF01 would pair with Fiio's FH3. Seeing as the FH3 shows a "details + slight V-shape fun" tuning (based on reports from current owners), the flat FR of the CF01 could be beneficial.
Maybe a CF02 (QCC5124) with LDAC/aptX-HD? Ala DC01/DC02 combo. Even if it becomes slightly larger for the additional power required.

On another note: how fast does the CF01 recharge? I mean charging between the listening sessions.

edit: corrected some typos

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #49 of 209
Nice review! Congrats :)

I'm curious how the CF01 would pair with Fiio's FH3. Seeing as the FH3 shows a "details + slight V-shape fun" tuning (based on reports from current owners), the flat FR of the CF01 could be beneficial.
Maybe a CF02 (QCC5124) with LDAC/aptX-HD? Ala DC01/DC02 combo. Even if it becomes slightly larger for the additional power required.

On another note: how fast does the CF01 recharge? I mean charging between the listening sessions.

edit: corrected some typos
I honestly don't know as they've always appeared to be fully charged whenever I go to use them and I've yet to fully run them down. The case does feature wireless charging which is a real nice touch.

I honestly think that these sound better than the Sony WF1000XM3's (which are my favourite TWS headphone - just slightly ahead of the Lypertek Tevi's) from a pure sound quality perspective. I certainly believe that the iBasso CF01 could be used with the very finest IEM's without disgracing itself.

Aug 22, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #50 of 209
I honestly don't know as they've always appeared to be fully charged whenever I go to use them and I've yet to fully run them down. The case does feature wireless charging which is a real nice touch.

I honestly think that these sound better than the Sony WF1000XM3's (which are my favourite TWS headphone - just slightly ahead of the Lypertek Tevi's) from a pure sound quality perspective. I certainly believe that the iBasso CF01 could be used with the very finest IEM's without disgracing itself.
I have been using them little adapters, with my JH13 Pro freq phase. I didn't think I would like it, so there was that bias, but I was and am very surprised. Everything I throw at the CF01 has its own sound signature so the CF01 don't change the connected IEM you hear the IEM. That is a big plus.

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #52 of 209
How did you guys ordered the CF01? Is it for sale on ibasso's website?
I ordered via Amazon. iBasso has some distributors here that also have Amazon portal. I bought from Urban Hifi.

Also, a friendly reminder (that I just found out with my Sony IER-Z1R) that you can technically turn the angle backward for a better comfort. Of course this varies, just want to put this out there.
With the default angle, it causes pain for me if use with Z1R (these came with stock cables that have straight connectors).

Default:
1598203435367.png

Backward:
1598203448708.png

NOTE: notice that I am not bending excessively, the cable is soft so you don't need to bend a lot, just guide it around your ear. There should be no excessive bending necessary.

Aug 26, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #53 of 209
Recently got a CF01. Had to buy it once I auditioned it.

I'm surprised Bluetooth has come so far in such a short time. I remember telling myself that I'll probably stick to wired for a long time.

Of course, implementation and design is also key, and I think iBasso nailed it here in many respects, from tuning, design of the module, having a rechargable case etc. To be honest, with the CF01 and the JVC FD01 I am not missing my wired connections and more expensive set ups, which was surprising for me. My audiophile journey started with the iBasso DX50 and DX90 so very happy to support iBasso's foray into the wireless world with their audiophile rep especially with a great product.

Please try to listen to it if you get a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised. It's not too hard on the wallet, and you probably won't regret it!

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_160011.jpg
    IMG_20200821_160011.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 26, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #54 of 209
I picked up a set, and I am shocked at how light these are, and even work with my glasses. The dual pairing order is odd (RT first, then LT), but reconnects almost instantly. Far faster than any of TWS buds. I do wish it had a mic for calls, and a dedicated app to tweak settings. I get slight hiss, on turn on, but I think thats just Bluetooth, and its quieter than any TWS Inhave used.
Well done, and I cant wait till they figure out how to get LDAC, in the same form factor. 1-3hrs of LDAC and recharge is better 3-5 hours of aptx, imo.
Great Job Ibasso!!

Aug 26, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #55 of 209
I picked up a set, and I am shocked at how light these are, and even work with my glasses. The dual pairing order is odd (RT first, then LT), but reconnects almost instantly. Far faster than any of TWS buds. I do wish it had a mic for calls, and a dedicated app to tweak settings. I get slight hiss, on turn on, but I think thats just Bluetooth, and its quieter than any TWS Inhave used.
Well done, and I cant wait till they figure out how to get LDAC, in the same form factor. 1-3hrs of LDAC and recharge is better 3-5 hours of aptx, imo.
Great Job Ibasso!!
It does have a mic! :^) I use Amazon music and when a call comes in, the call comes on when I accept it and I use the mic and the CF01 with the IEMs. I have been told the pickup from the mic to their phone (sound) is very clear.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #57 of 209
Got mine thru the post today, same as others have mentioned, the sound quality with EJ07 is great(used a neat mmcx to 2-pin converter)! In fact I might even prefer it to my Q5s’ BT mode! Crazy really, and cable free is soooooo much more convenient, given how close the sound quality, I’m seriously considering going with CF01 only never back to wired setup. And further point that Q5s needs overnight charging but this little thing can top up juice when I’m on lunch break, the box itself can also be top up on wireless charging mat is tipping the fav even more.

Wear wise, they are actually very light and for me once put them on hardly can feel the presence behind my ears.

The case contains puff silicone both top/bottom perfectly protecting delicate IEMs (such as my EJ07).

If any could have been better, I would say the case itself feel too cheap and plastic, a better feel/material would have been perfect but this is almost irrelevant. Truly well done hats off to iBasso, only I waited more than 3yrs :D
5AF25023-E8A8-44D5-879D-A3E11ACF3302.jpeg

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #58 of 209
Got mine thru the post today, same as others have mentioned, the sound quality with EJ07 is great(used a neat mmcx to 2-pin converter)! In fact I might even prefer it to my Q5s’ BT mode! Crazy really, and cable free is soooooo much more convenient, given how close the sound quality, I’m seriously considering going with CF01 only never back to wired setup. And further point that Q5s needs overnight charging but this little thing can top up juice when I’m on lunch break, the box itself can also be top up on wireless charging mat is tipping the fav even more.

Wear wise, they are actually very light and for me once put them on hardly can feel the presence behind my ears.

The case contains puff silicone both top/bottom perfectly protecting delicate IEMs (such as my EJ07).

If any could have been better, I would say the case itself feel too cheap and plastic, a better feel/material would have been perfect but this is almost irrelevant. Truly well done hats off to iBasso, only I waited more than 3yrs :D
5AF25023-E8A8-44D5-879D-A3E11ACF3302.jpeg
Any hiss? Bass roll off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back