IBasso Audio IT03
Mar 7, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #2,192 of 3,344
Thanks STEVE

That sounds an extreme way to clean them, I do clean my ears :)

Does anyone know of a powerful small hoover, that possibly would work?

I appreciate the ideas here but putting the tip into a liquid is a risk that would void the warranty if there is a problem. I have seen very small vacuums for this purpose. You could also try to lightly brush the surface sideways but you don't want to push any earwax through the small holes. I have used a tooth brush to lightly sweep sideways. I used my wife's not mine. lol kidding I used one I use for cleaning.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 7, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #2,193 of 3,344

I appreciate the ideas here but putting the tip into a liquid is a risk that would void the warranty if there is a problem. I have seen very small vacuums for this purpose. You could also try to lightly brush the surface sideways but you don't want to push any earwax through the small holes. I have used a tooth brush to lightly sweep sideways. I used my wife's not mine. lol kidding I used one I use for cleaning.

I have a little brush I got from 64 Audio, works great. You can buy them on their website.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2,194 of 3,344

Agreed Paul if you don't know what you are doing its very risky to do this and probably not a good idea for an expensive IEM like the IT03, but a few people do here on Head-fi for other brands, but now we have a definitive answer from iBasso directly **DON'T DO IT** with your IT03. :)

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #2,195 of 3,344
Any advice on cleaning the earwax guards?

You can take those grills off with a needle, clean them alone as SteveOliver  suggested, then glue them back. Suggestions on how to glue grills were posted earlier.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2,196 of 3,344
  You can take those grills off with a needle, clean them alone as SteveOliver  suggested, then glue them back. Suggestions on how to glue grills were posted earlier.

Good idea, I was going to suggest that as well, but the idea of removing the grills may scare some people too. If the blockage is really bad and they are out of warranty then why not.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #2,197 of 3,344
I would use a shallow bath (only a few mm) of isopropyl alcohol, 90% pure. (add a bit of water to pure iso), to clear the nozzles. It's not as caustic, and it will clear the wax for you. Shake out any fluid that left in the nozzle. An injection swab would also do the trick, and should be safer due to boot being at risk of getting any liquid inside the IT03.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #2,198 of 3,344
I don't know if this is mentioned before but this hybrid is probably one of the best in presenting classical music. very strong in this regard. I'm not sure if it's my go to for motown, pop, and rock. This is a definite benchmark for classical music. well done Paul - iBasso

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #2,199 of 3,344
Hi, Guys

Well I tried a the outer part of BIC pen with a piece of teabag sellotaped to the end, and sucked, removed a little bit.
Then I tried a small shaver brush, one of the bristles went in a hole and the foil came away with it, so now need to glue it back on.

It does seem a bit of a design fault that this foil is not removable for cleaning purposes, not that I know anything about designing IEMs.

Oh well!

Originally Posted by Paul - iBasso 

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #2,200 of 3,344
  Hi, Guys

Well I tried a the outer part of BIC pen with a piece of teabag sellotaped to the end, and sucked, removed a little bit.
Then I tried a small shaver brush, one of the bristles went in a hole and the foil came away with it, so now need to glue it back on.

It does seem a bit of a design fault that this foil is not removable for cleaning purposes, not that I know anything about designing IEMs.

Oh well!

I've just made a removable foil replacement, used a spare coffee machine filter that I found in a drawer, made of plastic with extremely tiny holes that you can't really see.. I've held it in place by the removable rubber earbuds. Not ideal but it works and I can't hear any difference to the SQ.  

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #2,201 of 3,344
  Hi, Guys

Oh well!

Now you can clean it easily. :)

Some IEM's have removable/replaceable filters. If this continues to be a problem then Comply tips with the wax filter will eliminate the problem (TSX-500 are the ones you want) by they are not cheap and wear out relatively quickly.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #2,203 of 3,344
Thanks for the Comply tips info, I have just ordered some, much better than mucking around with tea and coffee filters.

I cancelled the Pioneer 300r, listening on my phone, hopefully will get to try the Dragonfly red one day.

Some IEM's have removable/replaceable filters. If this continues to be a problem then Comply tips with the wax filter will eliminate the problem (TSX-500 are the ones you want) by they are not cheap and wear out relatively quickly.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,205 of 3,344
I don't know if this is mentioned before but this hybrid is probably one of the best in presenting classical music. very strong in this regard. I'm not sure if it's my go to for motown, pop, and rock. This is a definite benchmark for classical music. well done Paul - iBasso

I agree. For the same reasons I find it does electronic music very well too. I like it with rock, but I can see why people won't. It's not the best with metal imo. I like the a4 with metal much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back