Iams pet food, Animal testing!
Sep 26, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats with the long words? you could have sayd poo..

returning to pet foods, the corn/grain is there as a filler to go throuh the cats digestive tract, the real nourishment comes from vitamins and proteins sprayed onto the food. thats why some are better then others. some have more/less or certain vitamins.

If you really want to call that nutrients. It's a scam. Cats and dogs have to eat a lot more pet "food" to get the nutrients they need, because it's mostly filler. When you feed just real meat, they need far less food, and are a lot healthier. Dogs have a much stronger digestive system than cats, so they can tolerate eating garbage better, but that doesn't mean it's good for them.

Just because you could survive on sugary breakfast cereal alone, doesn't make it an ideal diet.

-Ed

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #17 of 34
Natural Cat and Kitty Food - Wellness CORE

Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor. Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Tomato Pomace, Cranberries, Chicory Root Extract, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Rosemary Extract.
This is a naturally preserved product.
C
rude Protein
Not Less Than 50.0% Crude Fat

Not Less Than
18.0%
Crude Fiber Not More Than
3.0%
Moisture Not More Than
11.0%
Calcium Not More Than
1.8% Phosphorus Not More Than 1.45% Magnesium Not More Than
0.10%
Vitamin E Not Less Than 400 IU/kg Taurine Not Less Than
0.3%
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)* Not Less Than 200 mg/kg Omega 6 Fatty Acid* Not Less Than
3.50 %
Omega 3 Fatty Acid* Not Less Than
0.80 % Total Micro-Organisms* Not Less Than 90,000,000 CFU/lb

Dont ask me why Crude Protein wont align. POS

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Science Diet Natures Best

Ingredients:Chicken, Cracked Pearled Barley, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Oats, Brown Rice, Dried Egg Product, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Meal, Soy Protein Isolate, Brewers Rice, Cranberries, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Broccoli, Flaxseed, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, Oat Fiber, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Tryptophan, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract. Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein......................................Min. 29.0%
Crude Fat............................................Min . 17.0%
Crude Fiber.........................................Max. 2.0%
Moisture.......................................... ....Max. 8.0%
Ash............................................... .......Max. 6.5%
Calcium........................................... ....Min. 0.6%
Phosphorus........................................ .Min. 0.5%
Phosphorus........................................ .Max. 0.9%
Magnesium......................................... Max. 0.11%
Vitamin E.............................................Min. 500 IU/kg
Taurine.........................................Mi n. 0.10%
Ascorbic acid*(Vitamin C)....................Min. 120 mg/kg

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #18 of 34
if I could afford it I'd feed my cats only meat and leave some wildgrass in flowerpots for fiber.

they're obligate carnivores, which means they can only utilize meat effectively. anything else is totally worthless to them.

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #20 of 34
I agree that the source is questionable at best. That said, I'm confused what their ultimate goal is. Their slogan is something like 'animal testing is bad'. So....they want companies that sell animal food to not test on...animals? Doesn't take many brain cells to see the problem there.

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that the source is questionable at best. That said, I'm confused what their ultimate goal is. Their slogan is something like 'animal testing is bad'. So....they want companies that sell animal food to not test on...animals? Doesn't take many brain cells to see the problem there.

How many brain cells does it take to see that the animals are mistreated. Mistreating the animals is against the law in most states last time I checked. Funny though how the food they sell is not on the list of best pet foods even though it competes with foods that are produced without torturing innocent animals.

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #23 of 34
I feed my cat "Pet Promise" and "Evo" together. Both are the BEST cat food available out there! (My cat likes Pet Promise better, I guess they taste better? But I still feed her Evo since they are SO high on Protein!)

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The website doesn't seem to list any sources or evidence for their claims except hearsay. Until proven otherwise I'm not inclined to believe their allegations.

Im inclined to believe anything when it comes to corporate America.

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Callas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feed my cat "Pet Promise" and "Evo" together. Both are the BEST cat food available out there! (My cat likes Pet Promise better, I guess they taste better? But I still feed her Evo since they are SO high on Protein!)

Funny you should mention that, I just discovered EVO in the web and was looking at the website. Looks like we have a place a few miles down the road where they sell it.

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if I could afford it I'd feed my cats only meat and leave some wildgrass in flowerpots for fiber.

they're obligate carnivores, which means they can only utilize meat effectively. anything else is totally worthless to them.

How many cats do you have? It costs me less than $20 / month to feed my 10lb Dog. I buy in bulk (usually Costco), or whatever's on sale. Chicken thighs are the cheapest, so my dog's diet is mostly chicken. I portion it out and freeze it for later.

Also, there are long term benefits and savings, as in better health equals fewer vet visits and problems due to health problems from a poor diet. The money you save feeding with cheap pet "food" will cost you much much more in vet bills later.

-Ed

Sep 26, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #27 of 34
I feed our 11 month old, 10lb dog hot dogs (with turkey or chicken meat). He loves it. He also enjoys chicken breast, thighs and sometimes, even steak.

Here he is as a baby:
IMG_0204.jpg

and here is what he thinks of Iam's:
IMG_0270.jpg

however, nobody can take away his coke!:
IMG_0210.jpg

Sep 26, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #28 of 34
that my friend is one cool assed puppy.

one thign i found awkward was that the cages the dogs were kept in werent all the same. usually they seem to be kept in a communal kennel with identical cages. not even the floors seem to be the same.

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many cats do you have? It costs me less than $20 / month to feed my 10lb Dog. I buy in bulk (usually Costco), or whatever's on sale. Chicken thighs are the cheapest, so my dog's diet is mostly chicken. I portion it out and freeze it for later.

Also, there are long term benefits and savings, as in better health equals fewer vet visits and problems due to health problems from a poor diet. The money you save feeding with cheap pet "food" will cost you much much more in vet bills later.

-Ed

I have two cats, a four-month-old female kitten and a twelve-year old male cat.

Less than $20 a month would actually be cheaper than what I spend on grainless cat food... I'll need to think on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back