I2S with my NorthStar DAC
Oct 21, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #31 of 52
yes, sometimes it randomly crashed my Mac's USB system so no sound would play at all, mouse/keyboard locked. Very strange.

And the volume was set to -0.06dB max with no way to raise it to 0dB so I don't think I can vouch for bit-perfect pass through.

I liked the idea, and the unit looks decent but is just too buggy IMO.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #32 of 52
paaj have you figured the way to use your NSD 192 I2S input directly from your Mac?

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #33 of 52
paaj - did you ever get the pinouts to match?

Newbie here. I have been trying to get the Teralink and Northstar to connect via I2S with no luck. The pinouts posted by you and Fallenangel helped, but I still can't make it go.

Otherwise the Terlink SPDIF works fine and sounds good. I have no USB connection issues to my PC.

John O.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #34 of 52
John O. are you connecting your PC via USB to Teralink to NSD SPDIF?

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John O. are you connecting your PC via USB to Teralink to NSD SPDIF?

PC to Teralink via USB. The Teralink drives either the Toslink and SPDIF inputs (both work well) on my Northstar 192 dac. I bought the Tera to drive the I2S because the Northstar has always sounded better with I2S feed.

I have to say that the SPDIF sound is much better than I expected for $60and I could easily live with it. I still want to go USB to I2S. If I can't get the Teralink to work, I will buy or build another USB / I2S converter.

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #36 of 52
John O. The NSD 192 I2S input (No5) will only work with a 24bit/192KHz signal, otherwise the I2S input (No5) is disabled.

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

John O. The NSD 192 I2S input (No5) will only work with a 24bit/192KHz signal, otherwise the I2S input (No5) is disabled.

Rosgr63 - Very helpful - thanks. I thought it might be signal rate after all the pinout combinations did not work.

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #38 of 52
the teralink does not support that signal as far as I know... good thing I didn't try to get the I2S to work
tongue.gif

are you sure I2S is only acceptable as 192khz?

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #39 of 52
paaj, when I downsample the NSD 192 CD-Transport output using the switch at the back of the unit the NSD 192 DAC doesn't read the CD signal via I2S.
I was very frustrated at first then I read the manual and it's very clear.
The I2S works only with the upsample switch set at 24bit/192kHz.
That's why I've ordered a hiFace from M2Tech to test it that way.
I'll need a SPDIF/RCA to I2S cable though, but I don't know where I can get one from.

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the teralink does not support that signal as far as I know... good thing I didn't try to get the I2S to work
tongue.gif

are you sure I2S is only acceptable as 192khz?

I just ordered the Metronome upsampler from Twisted Pear. I2S input and output, it upsamples from 48K to 24/192. I'm hoping it will resolve the connectivity issue. I'll report back when I get it hooked up.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #41 of 52
BTW I have tested the 192 MKII with an I2S signal (24bit/192kHz) and a SPDIF signal (16bit/44.1kHz) and hardly noticed any difference!

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

BTW I have tested the 192 MKII with an I2S signal (24bit/192kHz) and a SPDIF signal (16bit/44.1kHz) and hardly noticed any difference!

rosgr63 I have always preferreed the I2S on the NSD192, but the difference became much bigger when I upgraded the RJ45 cable. I have a custom built silver / teflon cable with quality 5 pin din plugs. This made a huge improvement in sonics.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

How are you getting the I2S signal? How are you resampling it? Are you resampling the S/PDIF on the DAC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by John O. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rosgr63 I have always preferreed the I2S on the NSD192, but the difference became much bigger when I upgraded the RJ45 cable. I have a custom built silver / teflon cable with quality 5 pin din plugs. This made a huge improvement in sonics.

I seriously doubt that... and I'm a "cable person". Perhaps you were simply using "wrong" wire before - such as CAT5 which has different lengths of wire for each pair.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #44 of 52
John O. can you please send me a PM with details/cost of your I2S cable builder, in case they could make me one?
The NSD upgrade I2S cable is EUR1050 after discount!

Fallen Angel I am using a NSD CD-Transport MKII to feed my NSD DAC MKII using:
A. I2S cable with CD-Transport upsampling at 24bits/192kHz
B. SPDIF cable with CD-Transport at 16bit/44.1 kHz (The upsampling is not functioning on SPDIF)

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #45 of 52
Basic Info: I2S is a standard for internal data transfer of 2 (or 3, depending on implementation) clocks and a data line. These should be in sync (and not spread across different length wires such as CAT5 standard - which is NOT meant for this). A simple CAT3 will match the requirements of I2S as long as it's under 12" in length - anything longer will be out of spec and outside of the designed operating range (and into "I am audiophile and I say something sounds good without proof, idea, concept or anything else" area - mainly what I call audio-bull).

I do experiment and evaluate different cables, both digital and analog, though I apply physics and "general" principles into my evaluations. When something makes no sense - such as "magic custom cable for some digital line", I challenge it, make one of my own, buy the "trial" one and look into technology as well as my own testing to find a conclusion.

Anyway, having used the NorthStar m192 DAC (which I really do like, and plan to buy again), I have personally concluded (which I pursue and encourage others to try, experiment and play with) that the internal S/PDIF to I2S conversion isn't as well implemented as possible (my personal digital - whichever I may choose, mostly straight southbridge to I2S through ESI Juli@), is not as good as possible.

Simple idea - I2S is the best way to transfer digital audio; as long as you can transfer it in this format. Get all the data, send all the data and make sure you send all data and clock lines to make sure everything get through. S/PDIF is a 20+ year old standard that is simply out-dated with what modern equipment can support. Trash the old, go forward with the new and REALLY use audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back