More worthwhile getting sound card that outputs coax S/PDIF
smily_headphones1.gif

Or... go with USB to I2S
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, thanks guys...I think I'll just upgrade my optical cable with the $

That would be about the worst bang-for-buck purchase you could make.
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #22 of 52
Just ran into the i2s to m192 problem myself. I do have an USB -> I2S converter (teralink). All I need is a cable, does anyone have the pin-out for the m192?

And another question that runs around in my head, is the PC -> USB connection not already filled with jitter that then gets locked into the I2S signal? How could the I2S part improve this?

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ran into the i2s to m192 problem myself. I do have an USB -> I2S converter (teralink). All I need is a cable, does anyone have the pin-out for the m192?

And another question that runs around in my head, is the PC -> USB connection not already filled with jitter that then gets locked into the I2S signal? How could the I2S part improve this?

I have the pinout somewhere at home, can post later.

You do not have to worry about jitter with the "PC -> USB connection", USB protocol has data encoding/decoding and CRC checking so it's always "correct", as for how well the USB receiver converts that signal into perfectly timed I2S depends solely on the receiver. I2S does not "improve" anything, nothing can "improve" a signal (well, re-clocking can certainly try), bad S/PDIF just tends to mess up things.

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #24 of 52
The Xindak DC01 cable from Pacific Valve & Electric Co is supposed to be a very good cable for the money......I can't vouch for it personally though but Vic likes this cable quite a bit.

Peete.

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Xindak DC01 cable from Pacific Valve & Electric Co is supposed to be a very good cable for the money......I can't vouch for it personally though but Vic likes this cable quite a bit.

Peete.

Hmm... RCA isn't 75R and 1m is too short for coax S/PDIF, you get reflection. Can't imagine it being that great. Not to mention, this is I2S we're talking about here.

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You do not have to worry about jitter with the "PC -> USB connection", USB protocol has data encoding/decoding and CRC checking so it's always "correct", as for how well the USB receiver converts that signal into perfectly timed I2S depends solely on the receiver. I2S does not "improve" anything, nothing can "improve" a signal (well, re-clocking can certainly try), bad S/PDIF just tends to mess up things.

Does anyone have any experience with both a high end USB converter (Empirical off-ramp, Bel Canto USB Link 24/96, etc.) and a decent USB converter (Trends UD-10.1, Pop Pulse, etc.)?
On paper, obviously there is a difference, but in terms of how they sound, are there any discernable differences?
Although I have yet to try a high end USB converter, it seems that upgrading this component would offer a very slight improvement compared to upgrading the DAC, headphones, or amp
popcorn.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would appreciate that
smile.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #29 of 52
I figure 1-8 is from left to right, this TeraLink device has the following.:

1: nothing?
2: left/righ word clock
3: SCLK, signal clock... I guess that would be the Bit Clock?
4: ground
5: V+ ??
6: Master Clock
7: Data
8: nothing?

link-11.jpg

So all the m192 ground wires go to the ground in the TeraLink. What is the V+ for?

---
never mind, I think I'm going to ditch this converter. Way to undependable with a buggy USB connection. Very strange, buggy on the MAC but works good on PC... this way it is no use.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Way to undependable with a buggy USB connection. Very strange, buggy on the MAC but works good on PC... this way it is no use.

Hi paaj what exactly is your problem? do you randomly loose the USB signal momentarily?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back