i
Dec 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #76 of 169
the 595/98 do not require an amp at all (but do scale up nicely). The 600 series do have a higher ohm rating, and amping is usually recommended. 

The 595 has long been my go-to mid-fi headphone for all-around performance - especially if it includes expansive sound (orchestral) and female vocals. Their easy driving makes them a no-brainer as a recommendation for someone with 200-250 to spend, provided they can deal with open headphones. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #77 of 169

Quote:
the 595/98 do not require an amp at all (but do scale up nicely). The 600 series do have a higher ohm rating, and amping is usually recommended. 

The 595 has long been my go-to mid-fi headphone for all-around performance - especially if it includes expansive sound (orchestral) and female vocals. Their easy driving makes them a no-brainer as a recommendation for someone with 200-250 to spend, provided they can deal with open headphones. 

that would exclude me then :)

So now i see
HD600/650 yes amp
Ultrasone PRo 900 ?

AHD2000's no, but could use some
595/98 no, but could use some

hopes this helps geej

if you are thinking of open and closed. don't worry ask away :)

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #78 of 169

Quote:

that would exclude me then :)

So now i see
HD600/650 yes amp
Ultrasone PRo 900 ?

AHD2000's no, but could use some
595/98 no, but could use some

hopes this helps geej

if you are thinking of open and closed. don't worry ask away :)

Pro 900 sound 'alright/decent' without an amp. They do benefit quite a bit from proper amplification/sourcing though.
In the same boat as the D2000.

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #79 of 169

Quote:

Pro 900 sound 'alright/decent' without an amp. They do benefit quite a bit from proper amplification/sourcing though.
In the same boat as the D2000.

thank you. this was for my knowledge as much as Geej's.....junior head-fier's sometiems forget about the page they are asking questiosn on sadly :p

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #80 of 169
Quote:
thank you. this was for my knowledge as much as Geej's.....junior head-fier's sometiems forget about the page they are asking questiosn on sadly :p

No worries mate.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #82 of 169
OP, I myself am looking to get a new pair of headphones to compliment my Pro 900 and so far have come to this setup after some research.
My music tastes vary slightly from your own (electro-house, EDM, etc) but I do also listen to J-rock and K-pop, which have the same types of musical elements you may find in anime OSTs. 

I've found that my Pro 900 is very well suited to pure EDM but vocals sound a bit lacking, mids are recessed and guitars don't sound quite 'right'. You should probably rule this headphone off.

In my research for a 'companion' pair of headphones with the Pro900 I was quite tempted by the D2000 but after reading some reviews and comparison, I think the Sennheiser house sound of rich mids and lows are better suited to the sound profile I want for music other than EDM. To this, I decided on the HD650 which is 'bassier' than the more balanced HD600 (I still can't shake off my basshead tendencies). I believe that unless you have preference over bass, the HD600 would be better suited to you. Just note that the D2000 is closed (won't leak sound excessively) and the HD6xx are open (ditto).

Now for the DAC and amplifier, I've asked around and some members here found that a HRT Music Streamer II ($150) and a Schiit Asgard ($250) have good synergy with the HD600/650. This may be slightly over budget so perhaps a Tubemagic or some FiiO gear would be a better solution for you.

What I recommend
HD600 ($300) + HRT MSII ($150) + Schiit Asgard ($250)
$100 over budget unfortunately. Suggest you look around a bit more for your DAC/amp if you like.

Quote:
i'm dying to know. what anime/manga is that profile pic from. ?
and yes it is relevant. if you scroll through the pages. u will see just how relevant and off topic we get.

Wel if I'm already posting, might as well answer your question.
The anime is Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai or just shortened to Haganai. Airing this season. ^_^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be good if Dubstep Girl could step in and give some advice, she has most of the well respected headphones in 'mid-fi' and a WA6 to boot (very jelly of her).

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #83 of 169
Hm, now leaning towards 595 or 598. I'm guessing they would be quite a bit nicer to listen to than the ad700's... Gotta find somewhere around I can listen to one of those or be able to return locally. Canada ~_~

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can figure something out.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #84 of 169

Quote:
OP, I myself am looking to get a new pair of headphones to compliment my Pro 900 and so far have come to this setup after some research.
My music tastes vary slightly from your own (electro-house, EDM, etc) but I do also listen to J-rock and K-pop, which have the same types of musical elements you may find in anime OSTs. 

I've found that my Pro 900 is very well suited to pure EDM but vocals sound a bit lacking, mids are recessed and guitars don't sound quite 'right'. You should probably rule this headphone off.

In my research for a 'companion' pair of headphones with the Pro900 I was quite tempted by the D2000 but after reading some reviews and comparison, I think the Sennheiser house sound of rich mids and lows are better suited to the sound profile I want for music other than EDM. To this, I decided on the HD650 which is 'bassier' than the more balanced HD600 (I still can't shake off my basshead tendencies). I believe that unless you have preference over bass, the HD600 would be better suited to you. Just note that the D2000 is closed (won't leak sound excessively) and the HD6xx are open (ditto).

Now for the DAC and amplifier, I've asked around and some members here found that a HRT Music Streamer II ($150) and a Schiit Asgard ($250) have good synergy with the HD600/650. This may be slightly over budget so perhaps a Tubemagic or some FiiO gear would be a better solution for you.

What I recommend
HD600 ($300) + HRT MSII ($150) + Schiit Asgard ($250)
$100 over budget unfortunately. Suggest you look around a bit more for your DAC/amp if you like.

Wel if I'm already posting, might as well answer your question.
The anime is Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai or just shortened to Haganai. Airing this season. ^_^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be good if Dubstep Girl could step in and give some advice, she has most of the well respected headphones in 'mid-fi' and a WA6 to boot (very jelly of her).

GOTCHA. i knew she looked familiar. :/ I started reading that manga back in 2009..kinda lost my attention somehwere along the line. and that's why im not watching that nor maken ki

and ..yeah. i'm looking at a pair of SE215's.. need an IEM

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #86 of 169

Quote:
Wow. Great! I'm aware of the Apples to Oranges thing. So D2000 for closed, HD600 for balanced, and HD650 for more bass. Okay. For the amp and dac I think that's fine. It's about the same price as getting a Tubemagic D1/D2 with an A1, more of a D2+A1 since the D2 IIRC needs a headphone amp.

I do not agree with this statement for the record.  I've heard it.  D2000 bass > HD650 in sheer amount.  Control of said bass really just matters as far as synergy.

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #88 of 169

Quote:
he means compared to the HD600's.

Edit: I just remembered I finished downloading Angel Beats in Hi10P again and I'm using Media Player Classic Home Cinema with LAV Filters and my integrated Intel GPU is making it look aweful. I can see the picture but there's purple and some other stuff.

Are you sure 10-bit codecs are enabled?

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #90 of 169

Quote:
Yes. I get the image instead of a green screen but the integrated graphics are too weak.

It's so hard to decide. I just need a solid recommendation/straight forward answer.

Most just go with the AH2000, its like the default pair.

Generic Mid-Fi build:
AHD2000 Headphones
FiiO L9 LOD
FiiO E11
Maverick Tube Magic D1

Yes, most get this as the most generic build. the L9 is popular for being cheap and delivering good cables, the E11 is highly popular for competiting against amps that are higher in price than it and the Tube Magic is also mad popular too.  If you can't make a descision, these are it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back