I wish HD-audio albums would hurry up!
Dec 22, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #271 of 276
Originally Posted by GreenBow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However I am not sure that the samples are HD-audio samples.

And you would be correct, since they most likely are not. Such commercial records rarely are... however, you could always pick up the Spek and do a check; if there's nothing beyond 22 kHz, well unfortunately you just bought an overpriced, upsampled CD rip.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #272 of 276
yup that would do at least for the "honest" mistake.
but there had been mentions of strange stuff, like the ultrasounds showing a mirror image of the audible range. so while this is "content", there is no way it's natural content. 
and I guess they could also decide after upsampling to create content from scratch that looks highres, like sony DSEE does on the walkmans.

as long as they maintain that farce of a business model saying that price and quality go up with the resolution numbers, we consumers are the guinea pigs of the audio industry trying to find itself in the modern era. when I see the old albums of aretha franklin in 24/96 or even 24/192, is that supposed to be april fools all year long?
rolleyes.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #273 of 276
Well I finally made my first HD-audio purchase and got ripped-off. Neither would I have any idea if sounded better than a CD copy, because the recording was poor.

I bought the Beethoven Symphonies 1-9, with conductor Karajan. After downloading I found it was a mono recording, but had not been listed as mono. £17 in the bin.

I bought it from Technics Tracks, because they recently won best round-up of HD-audio online retailers. Technics Tracks offered me a replacement album two weeks ago but still have not added it to my account. Waste of time reminding them again.

Anyway I was wondering about something that cropped up in this thread recently. Some folk were saying music played better on Windows 10 rather than Win 7. Is that Direct Sound audio? Anywa I am off to look for it now. It's just that found differences in audio quality depending on which driver I use. If I use Media Go with Direct Sound, it is bettered by JRiver with either WASAPI or ASIO. However I am not sure Direct Sound on JRiver is any worse that WASAPI or ASIO; I need to check.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #274 of 276
I tried it out with Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.  I can't discern any differences from the CD.

I think that the only "hi-res" we will ever see improvement from is analog.  ABX tests for digital vs analog are a bit more involved than just checking 2 digital files.  

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #275 of 276
Often when I look for an album I check out to see if it's worth buying high res or CD quality download. I would rather have music stored on a HDD, than a CD stored on a shelf and on a HDD. I am not having any luck. The only time I thought there was a good deal was this Beethoven and I got ripped off. They should have labelled the recording as 'mono'.

I bought a few CDs just two days ago on Amazon. I could not find them online at for download. it's not easy finding what I want. I am always surprised when folk say they have terra-bytes full of music.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #276 of 276
  I am not having any luck. The only time I thought there was a good deal was this Beethoven and I got ripped off. They should have labelled the recording as 'mono'.

You are ALWAYS going to get ripped off and not have "any luck". The only possible difference is that some of the time (you personally) are not going to so obviously realise you're being ripped off!

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back