1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

I wish HD-audio albums would hurry up!

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by greenbow, Oct 5, 2015.
First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
18 19
Next

Last
  1. WindowsX
    This is off-topic but since we're having Fiio's representative here so I'd like to tell you this.

"I tested Fiio X7 model with ART runtime and it improved the sound quality of your DAP significantly. It's the same OS, same hardware, same software player, stock without any mod installed except enabling ART Runtime from developer options."

2. Joe Bloggs Contributor

I have nothing to say on this matter except that we did not program for ART and indeed will probably be taking it out of the options in the next firmware update. Bit-perfectness or jitter parameters certainly were never measured with ART on. Who's reporting this?

3. WindowsX
    I see. It's surprise to see this coming from Fiio's representative. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

4. Joe Bloggs Contributor

Sorry if what I said seems harsh--I'm just reporting what our engineers have done and won't be doing.

5. WindowsX
    It's not your engineer. I'm surprised at your arrogance. Nevermind.

6. Joe Bloggs Contributor
    By the "who's reporting this" remark I was merely wondering whether it's you personally who found such a change in sound or somebody else you're quoting :xf_eek:

7. Music Alchemist

If Windows 10 applies DSP by default, then Microsoft really is evil. haha

Can you tell me what to do to look into this and, if necessary, deactivate the DSP?

Update: I just disabled all audio enhancements, but none were checked in the first place.

8. GreenBow
    Intersting stuff. I didn't know the operating system made a difference. However I use an external DAC, and would recommend that to everyone. I have the Meridian Explorer. The Audioquest DragonFly v1.2 is meant to be a brilliant bargain. I have also bought but not tried yet, the Chord Mojo £400. It's sat here still sealed about eight feet from me. It's causing a stir and flying off shelves. While it's portable it has a clever charging circuit. It stops sending power to the battery when it's fully charged. It stays in that state until the battery drops by 0.2V, then it resumes charging the battery. In other words people are using as a desktop DAC also. Some say it's not too far off the sonic signature of the multi-award winning Chord Hugo £1400.

To add fire to the flames, people are saying adding an audio-quality USB cable boosts sound quality with it. I remained impartial in the quality-digital-cable debate though. I bought one to use with my Meridian Explorer and saw no change. However there is a possible explantion. Some say that because the ME draws its power from the SUB port, it's considered unclean power. They suggest powering the Explorer separately. (I can't work out how to do that without hacking my USB cable.)

9. sonitus mirus

No need to hack the USB cable, a powered USB hub would do the trick.  Something like this..http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014UPDVF6 (sorry, not AC-powered)

You can make your own conclusions on whether it improves the sound or not.

Edit: And of the 500 that appeared in my Amazon search, I picked one that was not self-powered.  Doh! [​IMG] 

This is one of the powered USB hubs:  http://www.amazon.com/Alisten-Charger-Station-Adapter-Multi-Port/dp/B01682FQ66

10. GreenBow

I think it would reduce any benefits of the audio-USB cable. It would depend on a standard USB from PC to hub. I have a powered hub I could try though.

11. GreenBow
    Another example of why it's annoying that a good stable HD/online audio retailer does not exist. I just played The Cranberries compilation album on Youtube. However I only really like the three best tracks. Dreams, Linger, and Zombie, and I just have to own them. Buying the whole CD is a bit of a waste. I searched on HD-Tacks UK, and no results. Why do we have to wait. Come on people get it sorted.

12. Brooko Contributor
    @GreenBow - unfortunately Zombie isn't on it - but Dreams and Linger are both on the album "Everyone Else Is Doing It So Why Can't We".  A lot of people (myself included) consider it the best Cranberries release.  Worth getting the CD IMO.

I agree with you though - I wish there were more on-line retailers selling digital.  I don't really care if it's high-res or not as long as the mastering is good, and I'd prefer FLAC for archival purposes.

13. GreenBow

This is the album I was looking at, and it has Zombie. Dreams: The Collection http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dreams-Collection-Cranberries/dp/B009AQN1HO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449161710&sr=8-1&keywords=cranberries+cd

Correct any quality better than MP3 will be great. I'd rather store my music on a HDD only. It's better than stacks of CDs, ripped to FLAC which end up on a HDD anyway. It's like the UK has nowhere to buy.

14. Music Alchemist
    Many of you should find this interesting:

He passed ABX tests comparing 24-bit, 16-bit, and MP3...but when he followed my instructions, those differences disappeared. [​IMG]

(Click to the original post to see the prior discussion.)

I've loved "Zombie" since I was a little kid!! [​IMG]

And yeah, the disadvantage of digital music stores is that sometimes they force you to buy the entire album or the release is only available in certain countries due to licensing restrictions.

15. Harry Manback

A good clean source of power for usb Y cables is to use a battery (usb phone charger) as the supplementary power source. Batteries are ideal from a noise perspective. Main plug to computer, auxiliary plug to battery. Whammo! Good clean 5v 1A.

First

Back
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
18 19
Next

Last