I want to try Grados, but I need bass.
Jul 21, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #16 of 30
No I already have (very) bass-heavy phones. I don't actually listen to hip-hop or trance or anything; I just like bass. I want to try out the Grados' sound but I just wanted to know what I can do to add a little bass IF I need it. I'm not only a basshead; In fact, I really enjoyed my Ety er6i's before I got my HD25-SP's.

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #17 of 30
Well with proper pad swapping Grados can produce a lot of bass. But point of Grados is the midrange-uppermidrange energy, and highs to certain extent depending on taste. If you feel like exploring, go ahead.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

actually nevermind, if you need an amp to do something to your headphones to make them sound the way youd like them too, you chose the wrong headphones.

I understand what this quote is trying to convey, but the fact is, you need an amp with certain phones to make them sound the way they're intended.

The SR80 is one of those. Read the Headroom description for 80's - they say the same thing. I had a pair for awhile and they suck prodigiuos amounts of current, not being very efficient. This is a little subtle, because at 32ohms they certainly don't need voltage gain, so many amps such as a CMoy are not going to make much of a difference. You need something with a buffered output stage for the 80's to really shine.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #19 of 30
There's more than enough bass with the SR-80s, and if you find you need even more, there are plenty of mods available that sound good. And if that still doesn't work for you, you can purchase an amp with bass boost. I'm now curious how bassy you can get these things to really sound? I wonder if I can get them so bassy that they compare with my DT770s? Hmm...time for an experiment?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 30
if your local shop have some grados, u can try them first, and made decision afterwards

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's more than enough bass with the SR-80s, and if you find you need even more, there are plenty of mods available that sound good. And if that still doesn't work for you, you can purchase an amp with bass boost. I'm now curious how bassy you can get these things to really sound? I wonder if I can get them so bassy that they compare with my DT770s? Hmm...time for an experiment?
very_evil_smiley.gif

There's bass and then there's tight, well-controlled bass. Without an amp, the SR-80s are sort of like the new softer bowls - they wallow around all over without much structure and control. A good amp keeps the bass from bloating and getting muddy.

Be careful when you go into the stores to try a listen. My retailer demos them with a NAD receiver, and it has one of the best headphone outs going. People walk out of there thinking it will sound great on anything.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's bass and then there's tight, well-controlled bass. Without an amp, the SR-80s are sort of like the new softer bowls - they wallow around all over without much structure and control. A good amp keeps the bass from bloating and getting muddy.

Compared to any of the closed cans or Sennheiser I own, I can't agree with this. The bass certainly isn't as detailed as any higher end Grado can, but it's still very enjoyable and detailed without any boom boom. I have an iBasso T2 on order and will see how it works out with my SR-80s.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #27 of 30
youre better off getting senn hd 555s.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #28 of 30
I recently put quarter modded comfies on my sr80's and when plugged into a good source the bass is very strong. I use them with my zune and my bass guitar amp and there is definately enough bass to satisfy any basshead.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Be careful when you go into the stores to try a listen. My retailer demos them with a NAD receiver, and it has one of the best headphone outs going. People walk out of there thinking it will sound great on anything.

I am just curious but what NAD receiver are you referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back