I want to mod my Shure SRH440s: add a cusion on headband.
Apr 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

peskypesky

1000+ Head-Fier
Any ideas how to go about this? I'd love to add a cushion similar to the one on my Sennheiser HD555s.

Shures (no cushion, head hurts)

Sennheisers (cushion, head no hurt)

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 9
maybe something like this Sennheiser replacement cushion?

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/sennheiser-electronic-h-52715-replacement-headband-hd580-headphones-reviews

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 9
Assuming the 440 is similar to the 840 you could try this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484116/my-shure-840-mod-warning-lots-of-pictures

In short I cut mine off and replaced it with the beyer dynamic headband

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 9
Below is the completed mod

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/485381/shure-840-frankstein-headband-mod-mission-complete

The mod removes an incredible amount of weight and makes them wearable, it became VERY comfortable.  But you still look like a radar dish when you wear them.   I used the Sennheiser replacement band with the end pieces cut off.  If you go through with it, you will find only 3 cushions will fit.

Shure gets a big fat F for FAILURE in overall design of their headphones.  Whoever designed them never wore them, tested them, or even really intended to try them on in the future.  Same thing with the AKGs, its like...seriously?  STUDIO MONITORS NEED TO BE COMFORTABLE ALL DAY...THERE ARE NO EXCUSES!!! Yet, Shure literally added immensely heavy pieces to their headband That LITERALLY DO NOT NEED TO BE THERE, its like they just jammed junk inside and said "here ya go, buy this! :3 "

...the sad part is...we all did lol.  Despite the awful design they sure did sound good

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 9
cool. thanks for the replies. i don't think i'm ambitious enough to do that Frankenstein mod. so i think i will start with just adding the Senneiser pads.

and yeah, it is a damn shame that Shure would make headphones that sound this good but are so heavy &  uncomfortable. i mean, can't they just look at some comfortable headphones and sorta use that as inspiration?

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Jul 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm also interested in modding my new SRH440s to make the headband more comfortable.  Preferably, I'd like to do it without any permanent adhesives.

Has anyone tried some of the Beyerdynamic cushions with any success?

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Bumping this up, anyone have any success with any pads? The mod looks to intensive for me, I just got these, they do hurt my head. I only payed 75 dollars for them so I would hate to return them because of this....I almost went with the Sennheiser HD 25-SP II but they were 20 bucks more and I heard the shures were better(True?)

Anyhow, the Sennheiser HD 25-SP II seems to have better comfort after looking at them again, this is my portable pair so comfort is a MUST.

Did the Sennheiser replacement cushion work ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back