I want to know your inputs on a balanced HD650 and a balanced K701!!
Jun 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SemiAudiophile

Headphoneus Supremus
i know the comparison has been made many times. there is no real winner and it comes down to preference. but i want to know what are your takes on them when they are balanced and how they might compare if you had the chance to listen to both of them. please also indicate what amps you heard them through and the cables used and would recommend.

also, i know that the hd650 benefits significantly being balanced, how much of an improvement does it make with the k701? do grado's benefit at all going balanced?

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 12
I own the balanced HD650 but haven't heard the balanced K701 so I can't answer the main question, but the subquestion about the difference between the 650 balanced and single-ended falls within my experience. I have the 650 in both configs, and I can say that the 650 is completely different in balanced mode. Like a different pair of cans. Balanced, the 650 is no longer dark or veiled. They open up and the sinuses become unclogged.

Keep in mind, though, that hardware makes a difference. In my case, I'm running the balanced HRD and the single-ended HRD. The power supply makes a huge difference, too, especially for the balanced. It has to be the DPS.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 650 is completely different in balanced mode. Like a different pair of cans. Balanced, the 650 is no longer dark or veiled. They open up and the sinuses become unclogged.

that's what i'm hoping to achieve when i go balanced with the HD650. i still feel like i haven't heard the HD650 to its full potential. it still seems a bit veiled to me even when running them through a powerful amp like the WA6SE, but i am guessing that my source may have something to do with that.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 12
another one of this posts....
The HD650 balanced is more common because the original version is kind of crapish,
so expect more hd650 owners in this post,

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 12
Christ, here we go again ....

Cue olblueyez, Eric and the rest of the usual suspects. How many versions of the same thread do we need before we start getting on a plane to wherever we can listen to both phones ? Is there any other way that any of us would be persuaded to part with serious money to own either pair of cans (not to mention the heavy-duty amps needed to drive them properly) ?

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another one of this posts....
The HD650 balanced is more common because the original version is kind of crapish,
so expect more hd650 owners in this post,

i'm not really looking for a comparison (i am aware of the recent 2 other threads comparing the HD650, K701). just looking for people's perspective on the benefits when going balanced with these phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Christ, here we go again ....

Cue olblueyez, Eric and the rest of the usual suspects. How many versions of the same thread do we need before we start getting on a plane to wherever we can listen to both phones ? Is there any other way that any of us would be persuaded to part with serious money to own either pair of cans (not to mention the heavy-duty amps needed to drive them properly) ?

i am also not indicating that you must live with only one of them. i actually like both of their different sound signatures and plan to keep them both for a very long time.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 12
I think I rather have a super nice tube amp instead of something like a GS-X for the 650's. There is one extremely interesting amp available both ways now for the same price. DNA Sonett (not Sonnet) single ended triode vacuum tube headphone amplifier

DNA-Sonett-single.jpg
DNA-Sonett-balanced.JPG

Price: $1200- for both single ended and balanced output versions

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I rather have a super nice tube amp instead of something like a GS-X for the 650's. There is one extremely interesting amp available both ways now for the same price. DNA Sonett (not Sonnet) single ended triode vacuum tube headphone amplifier

Price: $1200- for both single ended and balanced output versions

lol, the quotes from your signature are hilarious. thanks for the suggestion btw. but i am pretty sure i want to give the balanced route a try.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, the quotes from your signature are hilarious. thanks for the suggestion btw. but i am pretty sure i want to give the balanced route a try.
wink.gif

The balanced version may just be my next amp. My dac is balanced and I think the Sonet will fit right into my rig just right.
smile.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

The balanced version may just be my next amp. My dac is balanced and I think the Sonet will fit right into my rig just right.
smile.gif

are you still using the stello DA100 signature? i was considering the DA220 and i'm pretty close to buying the PS Audio DL III, but the DA100 sounds like a considerable DAC being a bit cheaper than the DA220.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 12
I love the DA100 Signature. It is very musical, very clear, and very punchy. It really belts it out there without any undue color. I guess the best way to describe it is Dynamic, Punchy, and smooth, it is never etched. I plan on keeping it for years. I have not tried the 220 model but some people compare the Signature to the 220.

If you want the Signature, go to Hot Rod Audio, he is an authorized Stello dealer and he will save you about 100 bucks on shipping as compared to buying direct from April-Music.

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

I love the DA100 Signature. It is very musical, very clear, and very punchy. It really belts it out there without any undue color. I guess the best way to describe it is Dynamic, Punchy, and smooth, it is never etched. I plan on keeping it for years. I have not tried the 220 model but some people compare the Signature to the 220.

If you want the Signature, go to Hot Rod Audio, he is an authorized Stello dealer and he will save you about 100 bucks on shipping as compared to buying direct from April-Music.

I have had my eye on the Signature for some time, but considered the local retailer to be exorbitant at AUD1300 - just ran that through xe.com and it comes out at around USD1060 - only USD65 more than quoted on the HotRod Audio site you've supplied. I cant tell you how rare it is for our prices to be that close to yours - less than 10% difference. Best part is that I wouldnt pay anything for shipping - I can drive to the store on Saturday. Only downer is that payday is still two weeks away. Such is life - should have gone the extra mile when I bought the MD-10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back