I want to expand my musical tastes.
Feb 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mariogv

Head-Fier
Hi, untill now I've been listening mostly to metal, and now that I like nearly everything the genre has to offer, I would like to explore othe styles of music. I have tryed this before, but I couldn't find a good starting point, and everything I tryed seemed either less complex, less serious, or less realistic than heavy metal. I have tryed electronica/techno/however its called but I can't stop thinking that those sounds are not real. I have also been interested in Jazz and Classical, but I don't know where I should  start.

When you get to understand it, metal is complex, serious and beautiful. I wish I could feel the same about other genres, so I would appreciate suggestions.

I actually listen mostly to death metal and subgenres, black metal, doom metal, etc.

Some of my favourite bands are Edge Of Sanity, Agalloch, Opeth, Moonspell, My Dying Bride, Dark Tranquillity, Eluveitie, Unanimated, Saturnus, Kalmah...

What do you recommend? I will appreciate suggestions of every genre.

Please excuse my bad english.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm an electronica guy myself. You might listen to some stuff on junodownloads. They cover just about every sub-genre . Not a heavy metal guy but you might find something there you might like. As far as classical goes, listen to different conductors styles on one popular recorded piece. When I find a conductor, or performer I like then generally I will like other pieces he has recorded.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 21
When trying out different music, do not expect anything or at least keep your expectations low... 

Regarding Classical music, Deutsche Grammophon has these "111 Years of Deutsche Grammophon" compilations in yellow and red and are both a showcase and an anthology of what you can find in the realm of Classical music. 

For revolutionary Funk & Soul that has been of a major influence Sly & The Family Stone is certainly worth checking out.

Other names worthy of mentioning are King Crimson, Procol Harum, Curtis Mayfield, Miles Davis etcetera. There is a lot of music. 

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 21
I am thankfull for your replies.

Quote:
I'm an electronica guy myself. You might listen to some stuff on junodownloads. They cover just about every sub-genre . Not a heavy metal guy but you might find something there you might like. As far as classical goes, listen to different conductors styles on one popular recorded piece. When I find a conductor, or performer I like then generally I will like other pieces he has recorded.

That site is really helpfull. I've been listening to some of the different styles of electronica and I was impressed by hard trance and goa trance. Let's see if this impression evolves into passion!

Quote:
When trying out different music, do not expect anything or at least keep your expectations low... 

Regarding Classical music, Deutsche Grammophon has these "111 Years of Deutsche Grammophon" compilations in yellow and red and are both a showcase and an anthology of what you can find in the realm of Classical music. 

For revolutionary Funk & Soul that has been of a major influence Sly & The Family Stone is certainly worth checking out.

Other names worthy of mentioning are King Crimson, Procol Harum, Curtis Mayfield, Miles Davis etcetera. There is a lot of music. 

I will check out that compilations and the artists you mentioned. I truly appreciate your help.

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 21
Alright, I've just finished listening to Epitaph, by King Crimson, and I have to say that I am amazed. That song was increadibly beatifull and touching. I hope their other songs are similar to this one. I love it's mood.

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 21
Early King Crimson is strangely beautiful music to say the least. Their first album is compulsory if Progressive/Art Rock is of any interest for you. King Crimson has many strange musical sides...

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 21
Anecdotally, I've noticed some metal lovers getting into the deeper, darker side of classical. A few you should try are:

Beethoven's 7th
The Planets, Holst
Carmina Burana, Orff
Requiem, Mozart
Night on Bald Mountain, Mussorgsky
Firebird Suite, Stravinsky
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, Bach

I think you'll relate to those and they hold up quite well to repeat listening. Once you hit it off with those, you'll be able to dig deeper into classical. Classical is a wonderful genre to get into. There's a few centuries of material and it radically changes over the years. It's hard to believe that Bach gets put into the same genre as Steve Reich.

By the way, read the history of Carmina Burana. One of the coolest backstories ever. And if there's a performance, go see it. One of the best shows I've ever seen was a performance in Portland some years back. The chorus was painted to look like skulls on shelves behind the set. There were people in hooded black robes carrying lit torches around the theater. And much else. Completely, utterly awesome and it brought the house down. The most badass classical performance I've seen. Only thing I've seen compete is the 1812 Overture (Tchaiskovsky) performed with actual cannons (it calls for them) and fireworks.

As for jazz, give a listen to Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck. "Kind of Blue" and "Time Out" (respectively) have been the gateway drugs for many jazz lovers. They sink hooks you can only deal with by listening to more jazz. If you want to push some boundaries, try Eric Dolphy and Sun Ra.

For a few contemporary recommendations, check out Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." There's some pop, but also some serious experimentation. You'll find Wilco pushing the envelope between where noise stops and music begins. Also give a listen to the more obscure "Dusk at Cubist Castle," by the Olivia Tremor Control. There's some sunny, psychedelic pop interlaced with art noise, then a gradual descent into art noise, followed by a return to a darker rock sensibility. Layered with references and returning themes, it is one of the more complex rock albums out there. If it grabs you, try their more inaccessible but more rewarding "Black Foliage." Black Foliage doesn't really reveal itself until you listen to it a number of times and you begin to discover how it relates back to Dusk at Cubist Castle. Not terribly well-known, but deeply loved by those who do.

If you want to go farther afield, try Ali Farka Toure. He played a fusion of traditional Malinese music and delta blues. At once familiar and totally exotic. After a few listens, you'll sing along in Malinese without understanding a word. Just wonderful music, give Toure a try. You might also want to listen to Jay Farrar's "Sebastopol." After coming from a background in alt.country and country rock, Jay goes experimental here. Though a fan of all his work, this took a few listens to register. But once it did, Sebastopol crawled into my subconscious. Finally, try Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger." It's been called the Dark Side of the Moon of country music - and it is a concept album. While straightforward and accessible, it's one of the genre's finest albums. Don't be afraid of country - it's the most underrated genre around. If you like it, try something like Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, where country fuses a bit with jazz.

I hope you check some of these out. They've given me hours of enjoyment and years of repeat listens. It'd be great if they did the same for you.

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 21
Bach is in the house
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
Anecdotally, I've noticed some metal lovers getting into the deeper, darker side of classical. A few you should try are:

Beethoven's 7th
The Planets, Holst
Carmina Burana, Orff
Requiem, Mozart
Night on Bald Mountain, Mussorgsky
Firebird Suite, Stravinsky
Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, Bach

I think you'll relate to those and they hold up quite well to repeat listening. Once you hit it off with those, you'll be able to dig deeper into classical. Classical is a wonderful genre to get into. There's a few centuries of material and it radically changes over the years. It's hard to believe that Bach gets put into the same genre as Steve Reich.

By the way, read the history of Carmina Burana. One of the coolest backstories ever. And if there's a performance, go see it. One of the best shows I've ever seen was a performance in Portland some years back. The chorus was painted to look like skulls on shelves behind the set. There were people in hooded black robes carrying lit torches around the theater. And much else. Completely, utterly awesome and it brought the house down. The most badass classical performance I've seen. Only thing I've seen compete is the 1812 Overture (Tchaiskovsky) performed with actual cannons (it calls for them) and fireworks.

As for jazz, give a listen to Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck. "Kind of Blue" and "Time Out" (respectively) have been the gateway drugs for many jazz lovers. They sink hooks you can only deal with by listening to more jazz. If you want to push some boundaries, try Eric Dolphy and Sun Ra.

For a few contemporary recommendations, check out Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." There's some pop, but also some serious experimentation. You'll find Wilco pushing the envelope between where noise stops and music begins. Also give a listen to the more obscure "Dusk at Cubist Castle," by the Olivia Tremor Control. There's some sunny, psychedelic pop interlaced with art noise, then a gradual descent into art noise, followed by a return to a darker rock sensibility. Layered with references and returning themes, it is one of the more complex rock albums out there. If it grabs you, try their more inaccessible but more rewarding "Black Foliage." Black Foliage doesn't really reveal itself until you listen to it a number of times and you begin to discover how it relates back to Dusk at Cubist Castle. Not terribly well-known, but deeply loved by those who do.

If you want to go farther afield, try Ali Farka Toure. He played a fusion of traditional Malinese music and delta blues. At once familiar and totally exotic. After a few listens, you'll sing along in Malinese without understanding a word. Just wonderful music, give Toure a try. You might also want to listen to Jay Farrar's "Sebastopol." After coming from a background in alt.country and country rock, Jay goes experimental here. Though a fan of all his work, this took a few listens to register. But once it did, Sebastopol crawled into my subconscious. Finally, try Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger." It's been called the Dark Side of the Moon of country music - and it is a concept album. While straightforward and accessible, it's one of the genre's finest albums. Don't be afraid of country - it's the most underrated genre around. If you like it, try something like Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, where country fuses a bit with jazz.

I hope you check some of these out. They've given me hours of enjoyment and years of repeat listens. It'd be great if they did the same for you.

Wow, that really is a big chunk of helpful information... You helped me a lot Uncle Erik, now I now where to start in nearly every genre. That performance sounds very interesting, the problem is that I am Spainsh, but next time I visit Madrid (I go frequently) I'll check if it is being performed.

I am really impressed with this forum, people in Head-Fi seem to be much more friendly than in other forums I've been, and also the behavior of the members is excellent, I havent found a single disrespectful post yet.

I'm glad I found Head-Fi! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 21
You got a lot of really good recommendations there.  Another one is two albums by The Mahavishnu Orchestra:  "Inner Mounting Flame" and "Birds of Fire".  Coming from metal, I think you might appreciate them.

- Ed

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 21
You got a lot of really good recommendations there.  Another one is two albums by The Mahavishnu Orchestra:  "Inner Mounting Flame" and "Birds of Fire".  Coming from metal, I think you might appreciate them.

- Ed

I listened to a few songs by The Mahavishnu Orchestra and they where nice. It reminds me a bit of things like Atheist, Opeth, Shining, etc.

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #12 of 21
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

as extreme as post-hardcore gets but with touches of prog and utter crazyness

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

as extreme as post-hardcore gets but with touches of prog and utter crazyness

That is strangely nice! I normally don't like hardcore (or anything with "core" in its name).

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 21
If you enjoyed hard and goa trance, you should definitely listen to some psy trance, full on, and dark psy trance, just for that electronica dark side
wink.gif
GMS, Infected Mushroom, Skazi, Penta, Rajaram, those are some nice trance artists you should listen to, to get some understanding on that side of electronica.

About electronica not being real, remember that while there is electronica like that, there is always plenty of "hybrid" electronica with "real" instruments on the mix
biggrin.gif
I'm just saying you shouldn't give up so easily on electronica as it does have quite the potential.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 21
If you enjoyed hard and goa trance, you should definitely listen to some psy trance, full on, and dark psy trance, just for that electronica dark side
wink.gif
GMS, Infected Mushroom, Skazi, Penta, Rajaram, those are some nice trance artists you should listen to, to get some understanding on that side of electronica.

About electronica not being real, remember that while there is electronica like that, there is always plenty of "hybrid" electronica with "real" instruments on the mix
biggrin.gif
I'm just saying you shouldn't give up so easily on electronica as it does have quite the potential.

Lol! I discovered Infected Mushroom just yesterday! I really like it, he is my favourite electronica DJ (is it said like this? in metal there are only bands).

And yeah I think Dark Psy really suits me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back