I want to expand my musical tastes.
Mar 2, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 21

Quote:
Quote:
If you enjoyed hard and goa trance, you should definitely listen to some psy trance, full on, and dark psy trance, just for that electronica dark side " rel="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies/wink.gif">
wink.gif
GMS, Infected Mushroom, Skazi, Penta, Rajaram, those are some nice trance artists you should listen to, to get some understanding on that side of electronica.

About electronica not being real, remember that while there is electronica like that, there is always plenty of "hybrid" electronica with "real" instruments on the mix
biggrin.gif
I'm just saying you shouldn't give up so easily on electronica as it does have quite the potential.

Lol! I discovered Infected Mushroom just yesterday! I really like it, he is my favourite electronica DJ (is it said like this? in metal there are only bands).

And yeah I think Dark Psy really suits me.

That's great
wink.gif
Infected Mushroom is hands down one of my favorites. While they're currently doing a few tracks out of their original sound style, they're amazing when it comes to psytrance. Though their album "Converting Vegetarians" is very nice, the first cd being trance and the second having more breaks, chillout and the likes. If you like Infected Mushroom then you should listen to that album. Just note that it's not their darkest work, that would be their early albums.

Dark psytrance artists are more like Penta, Xenomorph, Parasense and Kindzadza. But it's not for everyone. If you look around, you'll see dark psytrance do have metal samples flying around as well
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
You got a lot of really good recommendations there.  Another one is two albums by The Mahavishnu Orchestra:  "Inner Mounting Flame" and "Birds of Fire".  Coming from metal, I think you might appreciate them.

- Ed

Oh yeah - my favorite band - now these guys ROCK - the best band ever in my opinion - BUT the original MO is the best - so the albums you recommended are the very BEST - though I love them all....including the new release of the Trident Sessions...

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #18 of 21
Yes, those were my favorites too.  I already owned a few McLaughlin albums when I first heard Inner Mounting Flame, and was just completely blown away by it.  If you're a real fan-boy, you want to read this: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Passion-Beauty-Legendary-Mahavishnu/dp/0976101629/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299198372&sr=1-1, in which the author makes his case for them being the greatest band ever.

- Ed

Quote:

Oh yeah - my favorite band - now these guys ROCK - the best band ever in my opinion - BUT the original MO is the best - so the albums you recommended are the very BEST - though I love them all....including the new release of the Trident Sessions...

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #19 of 21
Yeah - I read that a couple of years ago...

Actually I have always followed McLaughlin and Cobham since the 80's when I first heard the band on albums in my teens...

But to be honest - my fav is between nothingness and eternity - and not because it is polished - but because it is mythic and intense like no other album I've ever heard...

Nothing has ever come close to that album - for me...

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #20 of 21
Sounds like a good excuse for another listen.

Have you heard of the Mahavishnu Project?  The drummer is the official archivist for Mahavishnu Orchestra.  Anyway, these guys decided this music needs to be played by other people with other interpretations.  I have a couple of their releases, and they're really good.  Nice part is that they actually play in New England reasonably frequently.

- Ed

Quote:
Yeah - I read that a couple of years ago...

Actually I have always followed McLaughlin and Cobham since the 80's when I first heard the band on albums in my teens...

But to be honest - my fav is between nothingness and eternity - and not because it is polished - but because it is mythic and intense like no other album I've ever heard...

Nothing has ever come close to that album - for me...

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #21 of 21
I have but never heard them play. There are a few CD's by various people presenting the original MO material - even a big band performance!! with Cobham on drums...

I would have bought them already except I think they are ridiculously over-priced on Amazon....and it would be hard to find a place to download them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back