I want to buy the best universal IEM
Jun 20, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #16 of 38
What type of bass? Do you like mid-bass, which gives a nice and relaxing warmth. Or do you prefer sub-bass which provides the "oomph" in music?

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #18 of 38
In that case check out the jvc fx-700. I haven't heard it myself, but it may be what you're looking for. Read some of the reviews and impressions and see what you think.

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #20 of 38
i would say if your budget is 500, grab 2 from the top tier comparison chart. 

Every one has an ear resonance, and everyones hearing is different as well.   With that being said, it is best to try some out, and get a reference point that you can compare your likes dislikes, and compare them to how it fares with other IEMS, in the same heirachy of course.
 http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/top-tier-universal-iem-comparison-chart-and-information
Take the plunge into the upgradis monster, and join in on the great ride
L3000.gif

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #22 of 38
I have both the JVC HA-FX700 and the Coppers.  They have both good bass.  To me the JVC seems more balanced than the foward mids of the copper.  Still a noob here, but they both sound great :wink:

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #23 of 38
SM3 subbass is fine. The reason I think the SM3 is the best recommendation (not just because I'm a fanboy) is that it is truly universal, and has no sound signature of its own that it imposes. While other phones may have something they do exceptionally well that may endear you to them for some songs/genres, these tweaks may not be right for other songs. That's not to say that the SM3 makes everything sound boring or the same, but rather "correct". They truly let you hear the music as it is, and allow you to tweak the sound to your liking with an amp or EQ or whatever. I have yet to hear anybody find something truly offensive in the SM3 like they could in other IEMs. The bass is never boomy or lacking, the treble never hot or sibilant, and the mids are never thin or recessed. Now they are still young, and perhaps later down the road people will find something they don't like about them (in fact there's sure to be dissenters), but I really feel that there's no better IEM to buy if you're willing to throw down the money.

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #24 of 38
Woah, people are recommending the SM3s without actually hearing it themselves first? Seriously...

Anyway, FWIW I've tried a bunch of IEMs and I'd say the TF10 (if you can get past the fit issues) or MTPC should suit your genres of music well. I see that you like sub-bass. The TF10 and MTPC have decent amount of quality bass but if you're looking for subwoofers in your head then I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere. Considering how Logitech constantly give discounts on the TF10, I would say getting it cheap and saving your money for an amp/cable would be a good deal.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #25 of 38
Doh sorry BN, just read that u recently sold your JVC ha-fx700.  Guess i cant recommend that to you.... My coppers seem very lacking in the bass department, unamped though.  Would like to hear your comparisons to the SM3's should you get them.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #26 of 38
Let's see...I have A/Bed the SM3 with the CK10, Copper, MDs, FX700, GR8, e-Q7, and RE252.  I owned the IE8, but sent it off just before getting the SM3 and it was lost by the USPS.  I owned the TF10 also.  I also have auditioned the W3, W2, UM3X, SE530, and ER4P.  I am sure there are a few I may have missed, but that is my experience.  Technically, IMO, the SM3 is superior.  Better transparency, better dynamics, better soundstage width, front-to-back, and top-to-bottom with the best proportions I have heard, better resolution, the ability to change presentation depending on the actual source music meaning they can be mid forward or laid back  depending on the recording.  Nothing has impressed me like the SM3 has.  It has ample bass when called for with a liquid presentation and to me, the most accurate, natural, realistic sounding reproduction I have heard.  It sounds more accurate most of the time than my Tesla T1 (although I have not paired it with my new amp for the T1 yet).

Preference does have something to do with it.  If you like a laid back sound, the SM3 will not consistently give you that like say the IE8.  If you like a forward sound, the SM3 will not consistently give you that like say the SE530.  If you like enhanced bass, the FX700 may be best for you.  But if you want the best true to the recording reproduction from the IEMs I listed above, the SM3 is it.  So much so I sold my others as they all had noticeable weaknesses in comparison to me, making them bothersome (some more than others).  I still have the RE252 and CK90Pro as backups, but have not listened to them in quite a while and have no reason to!

There are many good, enjoyable IEMs out there and if you have not heard the others, I am sure most will sound great to you.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #27 of 38
EarSonics SM3 and Shure SE530 (now SE535) are the best sounding universals to my ears. Both have great bass and mids. The Shures win in the mids, while SM3 takes the cake in the treble department IMO.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #28 of 38
sorry they lost your stuff Joe, hope it was insured... great comparison, thx joe.  man youre gonna make me wanna pull the trigger on the SM3 now!  Forget about all that mumbo jumbo i said about ear resonance... i want one..... and my b-day is commin up
dt880smile.png

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #29 of 38

Quote:
Woah, people are recommending the SM3s without actually hearing it themselves first? Seriously...

Although it really shouldn't happen but if you stay here long enough then get used to it. That's something I have an issue with the SM3 right now is that so many people (who have no idea what it sounds like outside of impressions by other people) are recommending it. You just have to separate the opinions of those who know what they are talking about (such as average joe, Pianist, etc) and those who don't know and are acting like a fanboy if that is the right term.

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #30 of 38
SM3 , copper , TF10 , SE530 klipsch custom 3 in that order in my opinion and i own them all so i know how they sound .  

Joe's description of the SM3 in the above post is very accurate 
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back