I want to build my own tube headphone amp
Oct 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cmathes

New Head-Fier
I am handy but know next to nothing about electricity, wiring, soldering, but I want to build my own amp. I'm sure some of you have walked this road. Any recommendations? Bottlehead? Others?

Thanks,

Chris

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 11
A kit is a good way to go the first time. There is the Bottlehead and Mapletree of the top of my head.

The biggest stumbling block, however, is casing the darned things. Dilling holes for tube sockets, physical layout, terminal strips and binding posts, and a number of other essential little things are much more work than soldering the circuit together.

I'm not trying to talk you out of this, but I don't want you to buy all the parts and them stall because you're not sure how to do the socket holes or what to solder the resistors to.

Getting a kit is the best way to go at first. Once you see how it goes together, you can start working on your own designs and layouts.

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 11
You should have a look in the DIY section.

For a tube amp I would recommend the Bijou , there is comprehensive kit available and plenty of support. Doug's parafeed amp is both cheap and has had favourable reviews, he is also a great source of information and support. There is a group working on a spud amplifier for headphones which looks promising, the initial amp's schematics are around - search under spud and nikongod.

Hybrids are a plenty on the forum, also with good support. Merely take your pick after reading the various arguments and you will be all set.

The bottlehead amps are said to be great, I have not yet heard one nor built one. The Aikido is also said to be superb and has an HV and LV option. Tubecad has all the information you could need.

good luck with your choice ..dB

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 11
I am also interested in this. I would like some kind of kit. I wanted a Little Dot MKIII though.. Can I get a kit for it? Or a kit for a MiniMax?

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 11
If you decide to build one, learn about high voltage safety before you start; wouldn't want to end up dead.
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you decide to build one, learn about high voltage safety before you start; wouldn't want to end up dead.
wink.gif

237442629_3ada0b62ee.jpg

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 11
We've all heard the expression[size=medium] "No pain, no gain," [/size]

The fun part is the building process... You will be more appreciate the music from your amp. Just like home made Gourmet "Thanksgiving Dinner".

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada..

[size=small]Happy Thanksgiving!![/size]

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm a big fan of all of the Alex Cavalli designs. One is the Bijou mentioned above, others are the CTH and the EHHA. I've got a CTH (built by Wiatrob) and love it. I've heard the Bijou and EHHA at meets. They are both excellent as well. The Bijou requires 5 tubes. The CTH only takes one tube, and still sounds excellent. The EHHA is my favorite of the 3. It's just plain amazing.

check out:

Cavalli Audio

and

CTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back