I want a Sony NW-HD5
Jun 16, 2010 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

1audioz

100+ Head-Fier
As the topic would suggest, I would like a Sony NW-HD5.

Where on earth would I be able to buy one of these things? Amazon seems like the only place.

That said, how does battery replacement work on the HD5...is there a removable cover of sorts or is it integrated like my ipod classic?

Now, let's compare...D2+ vs. HD5, would the latter sound "heaps" better?

I'll be using my CK10's to listen.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 15
I understand what you mean. I see MZ-RH1's on sale all the time in Hong Kong and I so want to pick one up, even though if I even wanted a new portable player it should be a T51. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 15
I'm also considering the s:flo2 (T51) - but the HD5 seems to have had a pretty good run (when it was still available in retail.)

That said, it seems I can't import HD5's from the US. (Forwarding is out of the question as I was looking for a cheap buy)

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 15
I had one up till a couple of months ago and sold it on eBay after having it for about 5 years. I bought an S:Flo2. I don't regret my purchase, the SQ is much much better (to me), with the battery life being the trade-off, although I don't mind charging nightly.

I'm not very good at the HF lingo but the S:Flo2 sounds less 'digital', has deeper, more realistic bass, a wider soundstage and basically I find it a step up rather than sideways. I enjoyed the HD5 while I had it though!

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
That said, how does battery replacement work on the HD5...is there a removable cover of sorts or is it integrated like my ipod classic?.

The battery is user replaceable, there is a cover for the battery compartment.
RC

Jun 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 15
The HD5 was a nice DAP; a friend of mine had one, and I had the HD1 and later the A3000, the weird but goodsounding successor to the HD5; however, a X1060 gives you even better sound, more capacity, a more compact form, nice screen, at least the same battery life.
Also remember each HD5 is at least several years old and even if it hasn't been used th li-ion battery has aged and almost certainly lost a lot of its capacity.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 15

ahhh.... A3000, one of the slickest designs ever. Really miss those glass panel designs, though I admit it plays better with monochrome screens than color screens. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 15
Hmmm. The Sony X1060 still seems to be outrageously expensive for the capacity and feature set. That said - I don't really need gimmick features like Youtube / WiFi because I have my HTC Desire to do that for me. 

I think I'll read up on the s:flo2 a bit more and get one when the aussie dollar improves. 

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #10 of 15
If it helps, my opinion differs from dura's, and falls more into line with mobbadict...

Having all three players, I personally find the Vaio Pocket to have the best sound (but the worst battery life), then the HD5 (sounds more neutral, and has user replaceable batteries which are very easy to obtain - BST-33), and then the X1000 bringing up the rear...  Just slightly too prominent in the lower mids for my total happiness...

That being said, if you haven't heard the HD5 (or the VGF-AP1L) then you wouldn't notice what I perceive on the X, and would fine it a great player :D

w00t - 9,000th post!! :D

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 15
HD-5 needs absolutely amp.HD doesnot play native mp3.And if u put the firmware to play mp3 ,then the eq is disabled.Also u cannot navigate using folder view.......I have one which i have used it a little.How much would u give to buy one?

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 15
Hmm Sotiris...

Maybe you have an EU crippled version (google HD5 volume limit, and you will find easy directions of how to remove it) - the EU limit caps the player at 2.8mw, vs 5mw for the rest of the world...  Also, I have the MP3 update, and the EQ still works?!

Hope it helps.

Jun 21, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 15
@Sotiris Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'd like to pursue getting one anymore. The Sony X is very very very expensive. I don't understand why it costs so much. An ipod touch with greater capacity and feature set costs less than one of these.

As for the S:flo2 - what is the durability of these things like? I've read around that some are not charging and what not.

In comparison...the Sansa Fuze looks to be in the same price range. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 15
Duncan

I have cracked the volume and still i use and amplifier because i find the volume compared to D2 too low.... and for the eq u speak about seperate frequency modification or the horrible 3-band that compared again  to D2 is out of date.To my opinion Hd5 has done his circle and compared to new mp3 players i believe has nothing special to give.

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 15
OK.

So I went ahead and bought an S:flo2 16GB model. I figured I'd get the largest possible because initially I was going for the 2GB model...and I don't want to end up complaining that I don't have enough space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back