I want a motorcycle.
Apr 4, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #46 of 81
Just know the risk and know your skill/ability. I too wanted a motorcycle and it is very, VERY easy to become very attracted to the idea of riding. Motorcycles look extremely cool, I have never had more fun doing anything else, and once you take the BRC it's easy to be hooked.

Utilize all of the motorcycle forums and internet information out there, and also you may want to pick up "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough, quite possibly the most informative book on motorcycle safety.

I know that riders often blame cagers(and most times, they are justified as a lot of car drivers are simply delusional to what is going on), but what one has to realize is that the risk are very real, and it is not necessarily the cars fault in every situation because motorcycles are much smaller and harder to see.

I was riding on the highway, and there was a rider in the lane next to me. I kept my distance and eye on him constantly as I have taken the BRC course and read a few books. So I knew to watch out for him and give him his distance. Eventually, I needed to get over. I put on my blinker, looked in my rear view mirror, and did a head check to the right.

It turns out the guy was in my blind spot. If it were a car, I would have noticed it by doing the head check, but because the motorcycle was so small, I saw literally nothing. This was completely his fault(should have assumed he would be a bit careless as he had no helmet and was wearing a hanes t-shirt lol), and a smarter rider could have prevented it by avoiding my blind spot. As soon as I edge over, he hits his brakes and he appears out of nowhere in my rear view mirror. This very situation steered me away from riding, as I am not committed to thinking about every situation where I could be at risk.

I am not saying this to scare you, I am saying this because if you want to ride, you need to commit yourself to motorcycle safety and excellence. Most of the riders who have been doing it 20 plus years have made it by doing so.

And btw, I would not advise the SV650 as a brand new starter bike. Yes, it can be done, but you will more than likely learn much more(skill wise) by riding a 250 for 50,000 miles and then upgrading. It's all about risk management. The SV650 will create a higher risk, if you are comfortable with that, then good luck and it can be done.

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #47 of 81
Nice bike kr, you're not ghostrider by any chance are you ?
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #48 of 81
My dad's also been riding since he was old enough to ride, and convinced my mom a few years back to let me ride also(I was 19 at the time).

I took the safety course, which TAUGHT me a lot... driving a bike in Downtown San Francisco is ridiculous! Especially in the Sunset and Richmond districts(sorry my fellow asians). What they teach you there still can't protect you from the kind of drivers where I'd mostly be riding lol. So I kind of gave up on it.

I'm in a situation where I might end up getting cashed out, and I'm hoping to pay my debts, and get a bike. But, after seeing I Love You Man, and having my friends make fun of me saying they can totally see my hipster ass driving a scooter, I've kind of opened up to the idea, especially if I decide to move downtown and lose the need for freeway driving. It seems you guys really know your bikes, so I was hoping anyone had any recommendations? Or should I just make a new post for us upright low powered two wheelers lol?

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #49 of 81
Got it!

It was a good day in 'mtbiker's history on Saturday.

ZX-14Desktop.jpg

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #50 of 81
This is my baby, after a wash.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #52 of 81
New cans, and fender eliminator kit:

TwoBrothers1.jpg

Old reliable:

KatanaBlackberry.jpg

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #53 of 81
And how does it drive? (...and sound?)

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #54 of 81
Here's my Z750, which I really like.

attachment.php

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #55 of 81
Currently in the garage (all on the road except for the CL160). These are pics from the net, as I don't take very good pics. Colors and years are accurate. Condition of my bikes is also damned close to the pics.....except for the CL160 which needs quite a bit of TLC. I've owned it since new, but haven't had it on the road since '81.
Left to right:
1975 Honda CB400f SuperSport, 1966 Honda CL160 Scrambler, 1996 Suzuki LS650 Savage (single cylinder), 1970 BSA Royal Star 500, 1987 Honda CMX 450 Rebel.

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #56 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how does it drive? (...and sound?)

Surprisingly agile for a larger bike. It carves without any effort and the acceleration is not only "beyond belief", but you do not feel the inertia or much environment when climbing. I have to glance at the speedo to really belief how fast I'm ramping. Of course, yours and zx10guy's rides would probably humble me in the twisties.
On the Katana, which is 145 hp with the jet kit and the 4/2/1 V&H, I have to drop it down to 3rd and pop up each gear to even come close to "just" twisting the throttle in 5th or 6th gear on the Kawi. The ZX-14 has a claimed hp of 202, 179 at the rear, but I've only gotten the Suzuki on the dyno (in it's prime, years past).

Sound wise, the stock exhaust was downright dangerous. Trying to meet regulations, they made a pipe that was way too stealth. The Two Brothers slip-ons have a beautiful, throaty growl, that is a little too loud for my liking, but has a sound that I like more than a Muzzy or a Yoshi, etc.

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #57 of 81
To the OP, some points.

(1) You should, as some of the posters here have been encouraging, be just a little terrified. A motorcycle is more vulnerable to everything, whether it be impact, or people not seeing you, or your own mistakes. You will need the ultimate in defensive driving skills -- basically assuming that everyone in a car is an idiot trying to kill you. That's about the right attitude to keep yourself out of preventable trouble.

(2) Motorcycles are unbelievably fun. Almost like being able to fly like Superman. Nothing like it.

(3) A 250CC 4 cylinder sportbike is not "slow." Compare its 0-60 time to a $50,000 car, and see how it looks. On the contrary, it'll be shockingly fast, and, even better, shockingly maneuverable.

(4) As long as you can fit on the thing (and definitely check, I'm 6 feet tall, and I couldn't), a 250cc is a great first choice, and it may serve you longer than you think. For one thing, one can hope it doesn't have quite enough power to dump you when you're powering out of a turn. For another, you'll have your hands full learning to ride it. Get great at riding it before you consider anything with more oomph.

(5) Definitely take the MSF course. I took it after I'd been riding for a year, and I couldn't believe how much I learned.

(6) Be serious about maintenance. The chain and tires are your lifeline. Make sure they're right before every ride.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #58 of 81
I've been riding for two seasons now, and it's the best thing I ever did for myself. Just do it! Do an MSF course, buy a bike, and enjoy yourself. Be safe and practice, practice, practice!

A Ninja 250 is an awesome starter bike and then some. It'll do the highway just fine. Long time bikers pick 'em up because they're just SO MUCH FUN! DO EEEEET!

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #59 of 81
Cool, more head-fi bikers!
Its one of my biggest hobbies, next to music ofcours
smily_headphones1.gif

I got my license in july 2007 and rode a Supermagna til last february or so. Found my dreambike last march: A V-max! I just love the looks and with Supertrapp Metrics it roars like hell itself opens up every time i yank the throttle on a green traffic sign with a long straight.
Have to admit, so much power is pretty scary the first two months. Since i'm pretty much used to it now, its getting even more fun.
Best thing is still the 2 day tours in the summer weekends.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #60 of 81
If I didn't go SuperSport, a V-Max would be my second choice. I always loved them, since they came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back