I want a good AMP and a good DAC for the HD650, Hole budget for them is $300
Aug 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

It’s a firewire sound card that bypasses you’re onboard soundcard and offers a lot of output options. Those that own it tell me it drives the hd650s fine but it’s not an amp. I don’t own one and only recommended because it falls below your budget, I drive my HD650s with a tube amp.

Hmm I have few questions please
Is there any problem from using the firewire connection ?
And do I consider this as a DAC ?, then I should buy this and an amp right ?

It looks fine tbh

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #17 of 21
O2 amp / O2 Dac at JDSlab ---> they said that this combo can compete with $1000 amp and drive $1000 cans, could be very potential for the next upgrade.
Dragon fly ---> Jude said this is the budget king.

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:
Hmm I have few questions please
Is there any problem from using the firewire connection ?
And do I consider this as a DAC ?, then I should buy this and an amp right ?

It looks fine tbh

- No problems with firwire connection and it frees up another USB port ftw.
- "do I consider this as a DAC ?" It's a recording sound card that bypasses onboard sound card, so it's a DAC with amplified headphone out.
- "then I should buy this and an amp right ?" No amp needed, from dfkt's lips via irc "[13:57] <dfkt> the af have an amplified headphone-out which drives any headphone fine, from ue11 to hd650."

Edit: If you want a similar but in a USB option, look at the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface, no amp needed either.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:
Quote:
 ... I don't mind using a firewire, but is this an amp or a DAC or what ?

It’s a firewire sound card that bypasses you’re onboard soundcard and offers a lot of output options. Those that own it tell me it drives the hd650s fine but it’s not an amp. I don’t own one and only recommended because it falls below your budget, I drive my HD650s with a tube amp.

Have you checked if he has a computer with Firewire first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back