I wanna try some electronica.... Suggestions?
Jul 21, 2007 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
I think I may like electronica... I like BT's This Binary Universe ALOT and its kinda electronica.

So please suggest me some good electronica artists and/or album's that I can try to decide whether I like it or not.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 76
Get a boyfriend and ask him.
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 76
Boards of Canada.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 76
Autechre - Amber
Autechre - Incanabula
Autechre - Tri Repetae++
Futuresound of London - Dead Cities
Futuresound of London - Papua New Guinea
Futuresound of London - Life Forms
Aphex Twin - ...I Care Because You Do
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
Boards of Canada - Trans Canada Highway
The Orb - Orblivion
The Orb - Orbus Terrarum

Those are some of the best there is and will get you started nicely.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 76
Here's asample of Autechre. That is from the album Incanabula but I think you should start with Amber first. It is my favourite of theirs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPEcjQXIHX0

Here's Futuresound of London with the track My Kingdom from Dead Cities album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG9lMWFyZ6A

Here's boards of canada - dayvan cowboy from Trans Canada Highway album.

The video is the highest sky jump ever performed, well, I shouldn't say sky as it is from low orbit almost - amazing footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBZeWjGjl8

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 76
Well "electronica" is pretty broad. That's like saying "recommend me some music that has guitars in it".

You mentioned BT's This Binary Universe, which is a great album (it's all electronic, not kinda
tongue.gif
). Are you looking for more stuff like that (I'd call it experimental ambient techno... or something)? I mean, BT's older albums sound NOTHING like TBU. They are much more trance/club style.

If you like TBU I'd look into the electronic genre called IDM (intelligent dance music). Gatticus has some good recommendations with Aphex Twin, Autechre, and BoC. Those are STAPLES of IDM.

I'd also check out these artists' albums:

Ab Ovo - Empreintes (really thick and interesting experimental/minimal IDM)
Amon Tobin - Permutation (really inspired stuff, all kinds of sounds and beats)
Bluetech - Sines and Singularities (this is in the genre of psy-ambient and it's really really good)
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi (TCH is light, this is dark. My favorite album of theirs)
Clark - Body Riddle (hard IDM, really interesting sounds)
COIL - Musick To Play In The Dark Volumes 1 & 2 (Their discography is HUUUGE, but this is a good place to start. Also, do as the album name suggests
wink.gif
)
Ellen Allien and Apparat - Orchestra of Bubbles (sick beats by Apparat and Ellen Allien's enchanting voice. Can't go wrong)
The Flashbulb - Kirlian Selections (amazing use of real instrumentation organized electronically)
Four Tet - Everything Estatic (album name says it all)
Free The Robots - The Prototype (chilled out beats with a jazzy edge)
Hybrid - Morning Sci-Fi (this is more breakbeat/trance but it's one of my favorite electronic album EVER so you should get it)
I Am Robot And Proud - The Electricity In Your House Wants To Sing (beautiful and understated)
Justice - Cross (just got this album and holy CRAP is it dirty and funky as heck. LOVE)
Khnonnor - Handwriting (this is indie-experimental really textured and honest stuff)
KiloWatts & Vanek - RawQ (tight, glitched out beats by KiloWatts and lyrics and acoustic guitar work by Vanek. Successful combination)
The Knife - Silent Shout (must own electronic album, very weird though which I like)
Lemon Jelly - Lemonjelly.KY (these guys are the epitome of all that can put a smile on your face)
LFO - Sheath (BAASSSSSSSSSS
basshead.gif
)
M83 - Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts (amazing amazing album, very emotional and powerful)
Múm - Yesterday Was Dramatic Today Is OK
Mylo - Destroy Rock & Roll (fun with attitude and good beats)
Orbital - any album
Outputmessage - Nebulae
Photek - Modus Operandi
Plone - For Beginner Piano (sooooo happy)
Puppyhertz - Animal Squad (incredible use of samples, extremely creative)
Qua - Painting Monsters On Clouds (very low key and beautiful stuff)
Richie Hawtin - any album (he does minimal techno, very hypnotizing)
Sasha - Airdrawndagger (getting into breaks/trance territory again here but this album is so solid it deserves a listen)
Squarepusher - Hello Everything (his newest album and a good place to start but his discography is huge and all over the place so check out some other albums as well. He does amazing glitch/free-jazz/breakbeats/IDM and is a beast on the electric bass)
Tipper - The Seamless Unspeakable Something (incredible beats and atmosphere)
Trentemøller - The Last Resort (quickly becoming my favorite recent dub-step album. This guy's got TALLENT)
Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place (beautful landscapes of sound. His music always cheers me up)
u-Ziq - Lunatic Harness (buy it, love it, nuff said)
Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született (his most accessible album, and I think most beautiful. It's hard to explain... so just listen to it
tongue.gif
)
Vitalic - OK Cowboy (incrediblely fun and energetic with nice thick and dirty sounds)
Vorpal - Digressions (very experimental and alien soundscapes. glitchy and beat-centric)
Xploding Plastix - The Donca Matic Singalongs (a lot of variety here with many influences. Really inspired stuff)

Now I have MUCH MUCH more electronic stuff on my computer and I've mostly left out Trance, PsyTrance, Goa, House, Drum&Bass, Breakbeat, Dub, Electro and others from the list because I think you should start small
tongue.gif

Let me know if you'd like any more suggestions!

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #9 of 76
One song that even people that aren't that into electronica even like is Tiesto - Adiago for Strings, great song
smily_headphones1.gif

Theres really allot of Genre's to Electronica in general, but the albums that got me into it mainly was Moby - Play, Prodigy - The Fat of The Land, The Crystal Method - Vegas, Dj Shadow, and Portishead... just to name a few. Some newer cd's in my playlist is Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible and M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 76
As already mentioned, electronica is a huge genre with way too many sub-genres. Two more similar artists I haven't seen mentioned:

- Global Communication
- Neotropic

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #12 of 76
I don't consider stuff like Portishead electronica, they use traditional electric instruments like guitars. Not saying you can't use guitars but their music is predominantly guitar which is not what electronica is about.

Bluetech - Sines and Singularities (this is in the genre of psy-ambient and it's really really good)

I heard Bluetech on Pandora and really like them but have none of their music myself. Must buy.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #14 of 76
Pibborando has some great recommendations, definitely do those up!

I'll add:
Bonobo - Days to Come and Dial "M" for Monkey

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like TBU I'd look into the electronic genre called IDM (intelligent dance music).

I don't really like that label because a lot of what I recommended is not dance music at all. Some of it is dance-able for sure but then so is lots of Mozart too. When I think dance music I think music with a dance-able beat and like I said, lots of the music I listed isn't like that. Especially FSOL. So, why do some people call it IDM? I understand the intelligent and music parts but not dance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back