I think someone stole my identity...
Aug 9, 2009 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
Today I received a call out of nowhere, stating that I have an order of a 700 dollars LG refrigerator coming to my house. The lady claimed that she's from Sears, and she was just verifying the order for me. I asked her to cancel the order and trace the order but she said she cannot give me the info. She even refused to give me the address that was used. So I gave her my address for her to verify, and she told me that is the right address (alert!).

Anyway, she gave me a number to call. I did and it was a recording that at the end it hangs up. So search up any Sears' customer service numbers, and verified with them that indeed, there is no order found under my name and my address. I later called all my credit cards to verify that there is no charge at all.

So, part of me just wants to assume that it was a system mistake and just ignore it. But part of me is telling me that something fishy is up. Especially about the part where the lady refused to tell me the address used for the order, but was willing to "verify" with my address. It seems that it is a scam to get my billing address, so that she can now place orders online. I am really paranoid now. I don't know what actually to do! Any suggestion is really appreciated!

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 19
Ergh, you should not have told them your address. For all you know, that was the last piece of the puzzle some scammers needed to follow through with something. At its most paranoid, whoever was representing the party on the other side knows where you live.

From what I'm thinking, there's not much you can do. This kind of is filed under a "prank call," since no real damage was done, and you didn't need to give them your address. I doubt you can trace the phone call by now.

Maybe they're just going to spam your mailbox with letters, at worst. I doubt anything horrible will come out of this. Best of luck though!

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 19
Yeah. That was stupid of me. It just skipped my mind about the address thing, until I thought of it much later( with in the same day).

Anyway, as I was calling all my credit card companies, I somehow got talked into signing up this identity theft protection service (haha). For $ 7.99 a month I can buy a peace of mind. If nothing shows up after a month or two I can just go ahead and cancel it.

Really, I am always paranoid about my statements getting stolen. This sorta things never happened to me until today. Seriously, why do they even bother to print out the entire credit card numbers on statements these days?

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 19
Hmm - I would think your home address is one of the easier things to obtain, I wouldn't think they would need to call you to find that out - especially if they already had your name and phone number.

I need a new fridge - tell 'em to deliver it over here...

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, as I was calling all my credit card companies, I somehow got talked into signing up this identity theft protection service (haha). For $ 7.99 a month I can buy a peace of mind. If nothing shows up after a month or two I can just go ahead and cancel it.

Thank you for your business, works every time!
cool.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need a new fridge - tell 'em to deliver it over here...

What's your address, sir?
regular_smile .gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 19
Getting your address is nothing. You can get anyone's address through marketing lists and, more often than not, government records.

If someone wants to steal your identity, they need your Social Security Number, birthday, and preferably some account numbers.

The woman was almost certainly phishing for those and you interrupted her script. She probably would have prompted you for your credit card numbers, etc. if you hadn't gotten suspicious.

My guess is that she just went to the next number on her list and hoped to find someone more credulous.

You have nothing to worry about. If you're worried about mail theft, rent a P.O. box at your local post office. They're cheap. Have your mail sent to the P.O. box, where it will be under lock abd key until you pick it up. It's almost 100% safe.

And cancel that ridiculous credit monitoring. It's just a way to get you to pay more.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whatever you do, don't work with Experian. We had a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE experience with them. Without going into detail it took over 40 hours on the phone to get Experian to fix the mistake they made in "protecting" us. I sincerely hope that you never have to deal with those idiots.

They are the number one worst company in America in my mind.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you do, don't work with Experian. We had a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE experience with them. Without going into detail it took over 40 hours on the phone to get Experian to fix the mistake they made in "protecting" us. I sincerely hope that you never have to deal with those idiots.

They are the number one worst company in America in my mind.

Thanks for the heads up. I went with Chase's service, which I will mostly cancel after a month or so, just for some security.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrOutside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think someone stole my identity, I keep getting all these expensive headphones that I didnt pay for

That's just the Selecao looking after their benefactor.

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 19
If you send me your address and all your personal info and $9 a month, ill write all the info on a piece of paper and lock it up safe here too, so youll be double protected.
That goes for anyone else also.
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 19
I dont think there's much to worried about giving address, address is very easy to find like someone mentioned earlier. You should be more worried about forgetting about identity protection and paying 8$ a month cos u forgot to cancel it. Thats how they get u.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back