I think my NuForce NE-7Ms have died. :(
Aug 16, 2010 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Satellite_6

1000+ Head-Fier
I've had these IEMs for years so It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying because I'm going to college in 2 days, and the only other pair of IEMs I have are the Sennheiser CX300s which are OK but not as good. . .

The right channel has no sound. I actually had the same problem with the CX300s a long time ago and I was able to fix them by fixing the connection to the driver. I opened up the NE-7Ms and the connection looks fine so I do not know what is wrong. Any ideas?

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 7
I had problems with the NE-7M connection at the jack, typically within the strain relief (try bending the strain relief). Mine failed just as you described, but NuForce was great about replacing them under warranty. You should at least ask them if they'd cover yours.

If you're going to replace them and are willing to give up the mic/remote, the ViSang R03/Brainwavz M2 has been described as similar to the NE-7M sound, but noticeably better.

I found the MEElec M9P to sound pretty similar to NE-7M (a little more boomy bass on some tracks, definitely stronger treble, and with a different 'ambiance'), it seems to have great build quality, and the mic/remote works as well as NuForce's. MEElec also has mic/remote on the new M11P+ and M6P.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Well my dad tested it with a voltage thingy and he thinks the driver is just dead. I don't know if I'll buy a replacement or not or settle with the CX300s, I'll have to think about it.

It's a shame they were such nice 'phones, not terribly detailed, but I loved their sound signature.

They are well out of warranty.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 7
I doubt its the driver. Usually when a side of an earphone goes out its the connection around the jack. Your best bet is getting another pair. If you're feeling ambitious. Buy a replacement jack from radio shack and learn how to solder. The driver can appear to be dead if it has no connection.

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Can I just cut off the jack and solder a new one on? I don't care about the mic. I have some stock IEMs I can butcher.

P.S. I cannot get a good seal with the CX300s so they are useless. . .

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 7
Yup. Definitely practice a lot on a pair you don't care about until you get the hang of it. You can find a few videos on youtube that will help you out with it. You can also probably find some help in the DIY forum. Be sure not to mix up left and right 
wink.gif
. When you cut it open you're going to have two different colored wires on each side; maybe red/silver and blue/silver. The silver wire is the ground. To make sure you get a clean connection, make sure all the wire is fully connected before you solder it. Be sure to avoid frays or they will mess up the connection. Also, don't use too much, you want it as clean as possible. Your dad should be able to help, and if he was able to test it, he probably has a solder iron lying around too. Good luck. Oh and be prepared to purchase another pair worst case scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back