I think I want a DAC... Actually, I'm not sure.
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MS1000

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I was set to buy the Origen Plus DAC until I started hearing about its driver issues and incompatibility with MAC. I loved that it was simple, supported high bit rates, and most of all, could switch between line out and headphones with a switch at the front.

I have a budget of $100. Does anyone have a recommendation for a device with similar functionality?
-High quality DAC
-High quality PreAmp/ Amp
-Switch between phones and lineout/ variable out

Thanks!
Josh

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks! Does it switch?

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 10
Awesome thank you.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 10
So you're looking for a dac/amp then. I'd agree with Fulla 2. Looks great, sounds great, and hard to beat for the price!

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 10
What do you think of SMSL products?

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 10
What do you think of SMSL products?
I prefer Schiit because they are simple, quality, and made in the States. SMSL is a decent brand but I've heard people complain about drivers, customer support, etc. Which product were you considering by SMSL?

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 10
I prefer Schiit because they are simple, quality, and made in the States. SMSL is a decent brand but I've heard people complain about drivers, customer support, etc. Which product were you considering by SMSL?
Thank you for your response, the input really helps! I was looking at the M3, but am not sure how it compares in performance to the Fulla or Micca.
I love the look of the Fulla 2, but I have heard that the its DAC isn't great. I really want to do the Modi/ Magni combo but its out of the budget. Out of curiosity, are you familiar with any DIY kits that would allow better performance for a better price?

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Thank you for your response, the input really helps! I was looking at the M3, but am not sure how it compares in performance to the Fulla or Micca.
I love the look of the Fulla 2, but I have heard that the its DAC isn't great. I really want to do the Modi/ Magni combo but its out of the budget. Out of curiosity, are you familiar with any DIY kits that would allow better performance for a better price?

The Fulla 2 has the AK4490 DAC, which is the same as in the Modi 2, Bifrost, and Jotunheim. I can tell you without a doubt that its DAC is higher quality than its amp. (When I used the Fulla 2 as a DAC/preamp with speakers, it sounded more colored than using it in DAC only mode with the Schiit SYS passive preamp.)

The M3 doesn't have nearly as much output power as the Fulla 2. Specs: http://smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=103

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back