I snapped the headphone jack
Dec 26, 2007 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

r0teiro

New Head-Fier
...of my AKG K81DJs.

how can I save my headphones and make them listenable again? or are they completely shot and headed for the trash? I was already trying to contact AKG for warranty on some other issues regarding to the right earcup not playing at times, but now they probably won't do anything about it because of the damage.

I've had these for just under a year, they broke in a bag while connected to a Creative Zen Vision: M.

2060634de3.jpg

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 16
You need only replace the plug, which can be difficult if you've never done anything like that before. However, it's a great and useful thing to learn, and an easy gateway into soldering. I'm awful at explaining how to do things, but surely another member can show you how, or point you in the direction of a good tutorial.

Dec 26, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 16
Looks like its time for a recable!
its fairly easy to fix if you have a soldiering iron
you can go to radio shack and buy a mini jack cut the current wire and wire up the new jack.
AKG might repair them for some money but a new mini jack is only like 5$

If your unsure how to wire one up hit up the DIY cable section theres tons of info there.

Edit for great linkage
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/how...ep-pics-50729/

scroll down a bit theres step by step pictures on how a minijack gets wired up

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by r0teiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone/any company provide a service like this. I'll pay of course.

There are companis that do recables, but typically they are ding the recabling with extremely expensive [overpriced in my opinion] cables.

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by r0teiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone/any company provide a service like this. I'll pay of course.

There are companies that do recables, but typically they are recabling with extremely expensive [overpriced in my opinion] cables.

Dec 28, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are companies that do recables, but typically they are recabling with extremely expensive [overpriced in my opinion] cables.

Overpriced? That's an understatement, lol.

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 16
1) Get a soldering pen (soldering kits for starters are cheap and work fine for this job)

2) Get some spare cable and some male and female 3.5" jacks, do an extension, practice

3) When you feel confident enough with soldering just cut the broken jack off your k81's and solder a male 3.5" jack.

I shortened the cable of my HD595's and put an 3.5" jack instead of the 6.3" it used to have, and now works really fine. And since you have nothing to lose...

Useful links:

How-to: Change your headphone's minijack! (now w/videos) - abi>>forums
and How to fix audio jacks . The second one has vids

Cmon, just try it!

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zaero69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Get a soldering pen (soldering kits for starters are cheap and work fine for this job)

2) Get some spare cable and some male and female 3.5" jacks, do an extension, practice

3) When you feel confident enough with soldering just cut the broken jack off your k81's and solder a male 3.5" jack.

I shortened the cable of my HD595's and put an 3.5" jack instead of the 6.3" it used to have, and now works really fine. And since you have nothing to lose...

Useful links:

How-to: Change your headphone's minijack! (now w/videos) - abi>>forums
and How to fix audio jacks . The second one has vids

Cmon, just try it!

I think you mean 3.5mm.
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 16
Yes, you know, i always do this kind of error with measures xD

1/4" - 1/8" and 3.5 - 6.3 mm

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 16
so is a recabling needed also? or just a new headphone jack? I can also cut the already existing cable as short as I want right? (the stock length is too long for my needs)

would the issues I had with the right earcup not playing sound still be a problem, or was that also a headphone jack issue and can be fixed by soldering a new plug?

either way, i'll research it more later on and attempt it maybe.

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #14 of 16
With respect to just the broken headphone jack, you only need to get rid of the old headphone jack, and reterminate the cable to a new headphone jack. [edit:: this means you do not need the recabling, just in case it wasn't clear enough. -- And yes, you could cut the existing cable shorter if the current length is too long for your uses.]

However the issue with the sound cutting out on the right side is cause for greater concern. I'd consider taking Fitz up on his offer that he made a on page 1. He knows the AKG's pretty well, and at only the cost of shipping I think it's a great option to follow.

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 16
Pretty much any electronics repair shop can do this for you.
I had the more or less same thing done with my (older) AKGs.
It cost me $25

<edit> sorry I missed the bit about the sound cut outs the first time.
I was referring simply to having the jack replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back