I read this and thought of Head-Fi...
Jan 27, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 35
Just read the article as well. I think mobile devices will eventually phase out the 3.5mm jack since it's easier to run USB (or something comparable). Most likely you'll see it happen within the next 3-5 years.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 35
I'm not sure to what extent this is really an issue. A lot of the pricier headphones and IEMs have detachable cables, so it will only be a matter of buying a new cable. For the others, I'm quite sure there will be adapters for 3.5mm to USB/Lightning/other standards. Another thing of note is that most people with 'HiFi' headphones also use DAPs as source and not mobile phones. Unless 3.5mm jacks are phased out of those, there won't be any issues at all.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 35
  I'm not sure to what extent this is really an issue. A lot of the pricier headphones and IEMs have detachable cables, so it will only be a matter of buying a new cable. For the others, I'm quite sure there will be adapters for 3.5mm to USB/Lightning/other standards. Another thing of note is that most people with 'HiFi' headphones also use DAPs as source and not mobile phones. Unless 3.5mm jacks are phased out of those, there won't be any issues at all.

EDIT:

At first I assumed that the Lightning port would support analogue outputs but it doesn't. So yes, this would seem to imply the need for active digital headphones.

But you can still use an external DAC/amp of your choosing and plug your existing headphones into them, which is what many people are doing already by choice anyway. It's not like you won't be able to use your T5p's at all with the iPhone 7

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 35
In the begining .. there was nothing ....

naaaah .. just kidding ... we've had phones and music devices to lower the volume level "to protect your hearing" 
which was actually a bu****it , to have excuse for longer battery use.

So the headifiers came up with portable amps

now that the 3.5 will be obsolete .. headifiers will come up with portable amps with dac 

so much for the revolution ..... all the struggles to save some ohmp in ye battery

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 35
The entire premise of that article is laughable, especially the pseudo-scientific explanations. People who use expensive headphones tend not to use them with phones in the first place unless they really need the portability, and even in that scenario, they could easily afford the needed adapters.

...But you know what this reminded me of? The new Audeze EL-8 cable whose headphone connectors look like digital cables.

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 35
  Man cuts off 3.5 plug.. man buys new plug.. man solders new plug on.. man listens to music again. 

Can't be done. There are no analogue channels in the Lightning spec, only digital out.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 35

That's assuming people use said expensive headphones with their smartphones' 3.5 mm jack. The connector will still exist, and people will still use it.

Can't be done. There are no analogue channels in the Lightning spec, only digital out.

but i'm sure Lightning spec inhibits DAC compatibility .....how long will it take for alibaba to come out with simple L-to-DAC?

Lightning -> Camera Connection Kit -> DAC should suffice for now.

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 35
Feb 11, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 35
Feb 11, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #14 of 35
I can see it now, a selling point of a device will be: Has old school 3.5mm jack! It might be time to buy some stock in companies that make DACs and components! Soon it will be hip to walk around with a FiiO rubber banded to the back of your phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back