I prefer the headphone out of my MacBook to the line out of my iPod...
Feb 22, 2008 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

indysmith

100+ Head-Fier
Is this normal? The Macbook's headphone out into the graham slee voyager into my SR80s sounds quite a bit clearer and more defined than iPod line out to the voyager to the SR80s.
I'd have thought the line-out signal would sound better in theory?

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 15
My MBP and Mac Pro both have much better sound than any ipod i've ever used. Granted i've never heard an imod.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 15
My Macbook has much better sound than my ipod nano. Much fuller, deeper sound. Was gonna get a dac/amp to use with both, now I think I'll just leave the laptop and focus on improving the ipod with an amp.

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 15
I must have got a lemon. My MBP headphone out is garbage - loads of noise...

Are you sure you are using the headphone out from your Macbook to the graham slee? I would have thought you would be using the line out (which is the same connection, but a very different signal).

If that is the case than my MBP is fine...

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 15
Edit: I need to learn to read, ignore this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 15
It has to do with the power supply. A laptop has a much, much better power supply than an iPod. That can push the amplifier circuit better than an iPod can.

This is the same reason desktop amps are far better than portable amps.

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 15
My MBP headphone out sounds just fine. There is no disturbing noise.
(it's possible to get to hear noise, but then I have to turn the MBP volume down and the amplifier volume up)
(also, when the 0404 is connected, then the line out volume sometimes is messed up, so that the noise gets disturbing. But when the 0404 is connected, I have no use for the line out of course)

Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you sure you are using the headphone out from your Macbook to the graham slee? I would have thought you would be using the line out (which is the same connection, but a very different signal).

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy6044 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then why wouldn't a plugged in ipod or portable amp work just as well?

Because a plugged in iPod and Portable amp won't use all the current that a non-portable amp would. They will still use the battery power which is lower voltage and lower current than a non-portable setup. This in turn gives reduced sound quality vs. say a constant current class-a amp.

Feb 23, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 15
That's too bad. Why couldn't they just make a portable that uses the power from the charger when it's plugged in? Seems like a no brainer to me if this whole exercise is to improve sound quality, portable or not.

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The MacBook doesn't have a line-out. Just the headphone out. It's bloody annoying - I'm going to have to get myself an Apogee Duet at some point.

In regards to noise, my macbook is DEAD silent. No hint of any noise at any volume level. pretty handy. I'd forgot i'd made this thread until just now, and I've now just plugged back into my iPod and now i far prefer the sound I'm getting from that!? I guess the grass is always greener...

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MacBook doesn't have a line-out. Just the headphone out. It's bloody annoying - I'm going to have to get myself an Apogee Duet at some point.

In regards to noise, my macbook is DEAD silent. No hint of any noise at any volume level. pretty handy. I'd forgot i'd made this thread until just now, and I've now just plugged back into my iPod and now i far prefer the sound I'm getting from that!? I guess the grass is always greener...

yes it does...it is setup exactly like a macbook pro. The miniplug can do optical out.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 15
i know the miniplug can do optical out, but i don't have an external DAC (yet).

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MacBook doesn't have a line-out...

I have a Mac Book Pro.

Does anyone else with a Macbook Pro have a noisy headphone out? By headphone out I assume people are talking about plugging headphones directly into their MBP...

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 15
mine seems alright to me.. unless i'm not listening closely enough.. I usually don't notice it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back