i-pass (Illinois Tollway’s electronic toll collection system)
Jun 12, 2007 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
ok so i didnt have an i pass and i passed through the i passed through the i pass lane. They wanted me to fill a form and tell them which lane i used and while exit i've left. My car is a canadian licence plate so should i even care? Most people in michigan and illinois i talked to told me to forget it since they cant possibly put dispatch a swat team to my address in canada but will the customs arrest me the next time i enter united states?

(i have to say the whole i pass infrastructure is very confusing, since you pay once when u enter and you pay another time leaving by dropping infinite coins into this machine that will never say thank you. Why cant it be simple like new york where u take a card and pay at the exit?)

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm calling Steve Jobs.

Oh and do the right thing, is this really that difficult to comprehend?

How do i even know where i entered and where i left and how do i know how much i owe them since there is no place on the internet to check???

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so i didnt have an i pass and i passed through the i passed through the i pass lane. They wanted me to fill a form and tell them which lane i used and while exit i've left. My car is a canadian licence plate so should i even care? Most people in michigan and illinois i talked to told me to forget it since they cant possibly put dispatch a swat team to my address in canada but will the customs arrest me the next time i enter united states?

(i have to say the whole i pass infrastructure is very confusing, since you pay once when u enter and you pay another time leaving by dropping infinite coins into this machine that will never say thank you. Why cant it be simple like new york where u take a card and pay at the exit?)

It is simple. If you have an EZPass (the name of the multi-state system of which i-pass is a part), use the EZPass lanes. If you don't, don't. EZPass lanes are very clearly marked (signs, flashing lights).

Having had an EZPass for a year, I couldn't imagine life without it. No more fumbling for change in the car, I can pass through tollbooths at 10-55mph (depending on the toll booth), and the transponder is free.

Jun 13, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is simple. If you have an EZPass (the name of the multi-state system of which i-pass is a part), use the EZPass lanes. If you don't, don't. EZPass lanes are very clearly marked (signs, flashing lights).

Having had an EZPass for a year, I couldn't imagine life without it. No more fumbling for change in the car, I can pass through tollbooths at 10-55mph (depending on the toll booth), and the transponder is free.

can canadians have it?
it doesnt seem to work with the highway in indiana
and im saying i dont know how much i owe the state for using their highway

Jun 13, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 18
I live in Illinois.

Now... they dont send you a ticket unless you pass an IPASS lane 5x. After 5x, they send you a $100 ticket ($20 for each unauthorized use).

I think you'll be ok. So just pretend like you didn't know.

Ignorance is bliss!!

Go Canada!

Jun 13, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 18
I got confused going around Chicago to get to WI. The IL turnpike was the most annoying part of my trip since I had to keep getting off to pay every 10 miles or so it seemed.

I had myself thinking, I know that if I move over to pass this guy, I'll have to get back over because a booth will come up.

Jun 13, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

can canadians have it?
it doesnt seem to work with the highway in indiana
and im saying i dont know how much i owe the state for using their highway

Yeah, the I-PASS only works for Illinois highways. As Joey_V you'll be fine.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 18
sometimes i feel the federal government can unite all highway systems in north america and use only one type of card

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 18
ive been an illinois(chicago suburb) resident all my life, and the first few years i was driving i didnt have an ipass...they truly are a godsend with the ridiculous amount of tolls we have, especially since they doubled the toll for non-ipass user.

the open road tolling(now thats its finally complete) really is nice also. before this there were only 1 or 2 ipass lanes that still required some slowing down and waiting

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

sometimes i feel the federal government can unite all highway systems in north america and use only one type of card

Sometimes I feel the state governments should just do away with road tolling
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjpetry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And all taxes!
very_evil_smiley.gif

and give us free teleport stations

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in Illinois.

Now... they dont send you a ticket unless you pass an IPASS lane 5x. After 5x, they send you a $100 ticket ($20 for each unauthorized use).

I think you'll be ok. So just pretend like you didn't know.

Ignorance is bliss!!

Go Canada!

That's good to know. I spent a lot of time driving between Illinois and Wisconsin from January through May this year, and it really is confusing to a visitor. I blew past toll booths on several occasions, but thank goodness for the joys of rental cars!

I was driving my mom's car on one occasion, and she kind of freaked about it, but I'm sure she doesn't skip the tolls because she knows when they're coming up, so she should be Ok. It's not like they're that hard to get used to, but I'm usually talking and at 70-80 mph, things happen pretty quickly if you don't make the lane changes right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back