I need Wireless. I have really weird requirements.
Dec 4, 2010 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

SkinnyOldGuy

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I just searched a few dozen threads here and it looks like I need to ask my own question.

I seldom miss things that I lose but I really miss my wireless headphones.  I could live with them on; zooming around the house, in the shop, on the porch, streaming radio or music or playing CDs on the computer.  So, I need to get me a new set.

I would hope that the technology has improved in the last 15 years. It appears from what I have been able to find out, not much has improved relative to my requirements.

Here are my requirements:  I would like the signal to be stable.  Those old (was it 800 or 900 mHz?) jobs really weren't good enough.  I need good sound but I don't expect tube-amplifier-silver-cable-diaphragms-made-from-angel-wings sound.  I do not care about 5.1 or movies or games.  In fact, I would consider them excessive capabilities.  The headphones have to use nonproprietary batteries.  They have to have replaceable cushions.  They have to never break, which I know is possible.

Is anything in this list unreasonable?  Unlikely maybe, but unreasonable?

Maybe what I need is a cell phone but I don't want a cell phone.

Any constructive ideas out there?

Thank you for the kindness of reading this.

Sog

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 20
I'm not keen on most wireless sets.

Have you considered IEMs with an iPod? You wouldn't be tethered to a stationary rig and you'd get great sound. There are hundreds of IEMs to choose from, as well.

If you used something like an iPod Touch, you could stream off Wi-Fi, too.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 20
I agree with Erik; what is the reason for needing wireless headphones? I'm assuming you're using a desktop or other stationary source? Why not invest in a portable source and headphones/IEM's?

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 20
Most people here don't like wireless because the sound is not the same as cabled.

You can try getting some Senns wireless headphones off Amazon? I have never tried them but my friends own them and say they're pretty good. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 20
You need some headphones you could put on and not get stuck to the source, right?
But what do you prefer? In ear? Over the ear?
Sennheiser has some new portable headphones with kleer technology which is offer "uncompressed" signal.
It also has the full sizes RS line which has been received with some praise.

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 20
I agree with the other posters that a portable DAP and some portable headphones will give better results, sound-quality wise.

However, if you actually need a wireless set: I have a Sennheiser RS170 (closed full-size phone) which I use for watching movies/TV when I don't want to disturb others or while I'm cooking/doing some other work where cables could get in the way. The wireless techonolgy (Kleer?) is really good - very stable signal, no more hissing or searching for the right frequency. Goes through several walls without problems too.

Sound-quality wise, they are okay. Excellent for movies, acceptable for music. I wouldn't recommend them for actually listening to music, but if you just want to listen while doing something else they're okay. The sound is, as you'd expect from a consumer headphone, rather bass-heavy. Isolation is quite good.

They are quite comfortable due to their light weight (despite the batteries), but the construction doesn't feel very durable. Also the leather earpads are rather small which could be a problem for people with large ears.
The headphones come with a docking station which is really nice. The phones use two rechargable AA batteries which last for at least 5-6 hours. They can be recharged by putting them on the docking station. Operation of the headphones is a bit tricky, as there are only a few buttons and no actual On/Off switch or a volume control pot.

In short, I'd recommend them, if you can live with the downsides. The rather fragile construction could be a deal-breaker for you though.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #9 of 20
I don't think that those are weird requirements at all, except for the one demanding invincibility.  You want good-performing wireless headphones that you don't have to worry about having to recharge.  Overall, Sony and Sennheiser

No offense, but you guys are treating him like wireless headphones don't exist.  He has had an old pair and was happy with them before, so what leads to believe that he won't be happy with another pair?  I will second that the KLEER technology headphones by Sennheiser are pretty solid, the RS160, RS170, RS180.
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_wireless-headphones_home

Here are the choices from Sony:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=3732&N=4294952818

These Sony are being sold as refurb right now, but they're 900 MHz RF.  Refurb straight from Sony means as good as new, except it will come in a nondescript cardboard box.  If you actually begin going through the checkout process, you will see the price drop to $35. I haven't really checked out the specs or reviews for it, just thought I'd pass forward the deal for you to mull over:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665165574&XID=A:1225267:10396361:u347019t2451918f9fp0c0s525:CJ&ref=http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=347019&t=2451918

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 20
Well, the reason I want wireless head phones is so I can stream Pandora and interact with my stations, listen to the leftie wierdos and the rightie wierdos on the radio, monitor my digital archiving of lots of analog that I own, and listen to out-of-town radio via their streams.  And some other stuff, like recording without getting tangled up in two cables, streaming TED and Press Club speeches, and....

Yeah, I could do it with an IPod if I wanted to record all that stuff and play it back some different time but that doesn't work for some of these activities, plus the recording is another pain procedure that I would have to do and I wouldn't be able to spontaneously listen to one thing or another.  And really, if I wanted to record and play I still have Walkmans.

Actually I have a new IPod that my sister gave me, too.  Some day I'll be motivated to figure out how to work it.  Just as soon as a need arises.

Is the RS170 different than it was before?  I borrowed one from a friend to see what it was like, and it was pretty bad RF-wise; distinctly worse that the phony-formerly-respected-brand-name Recotons I had before. I should have kept them.  Housecleaning is, alas, not error-proof.

Sog

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 20
^  x2
If you wanted a different IEM, you could just recable that IEM with the Kleer stuff. Or you could go with Etymotic Ety-8.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 20
The new Kleer technology is vastly superior than the old RF transmission.
You won't hear anything if the signal quality is too weak, it is digital.
You get CD quality or nothing, no more hissing.

I recently got a TDK WR700 from a fellow head-fier.
It use 4 AAA batteries (2 in phone, 2 in the transmitter).
The transmitter is small, highly portable (smaller than half of your credit card.)
I can't find replacement pads for it yet..
I think it can fit your need very well.

Quote:
Well, the reason I want wireless head phones is so I can stream Pandora and interact with my stations, listen to the leftie wierdos and the rightie wierdos on the radio, monitor my digital archiving of lots of analog that I own, and listen to out-of-town radio via their streams.  And some other stuff, like recording without getting tangled up in two cables, streaming TED and Press Club speeches, and....

Yeah, I could do it with an IPod if I wanted to record all that stuff and play it back some different time but that doesn't work for some of these activities, plus the recording is another pain procedure that I would have to do and I wouldn't be able to spontaneously listen to one thing or another.  And really, if I wanted to record and play I still have Walkmans.

Actually I have a new IPod that my sister gave me, too.  Some day I'll be motivated to figure out how to work it.  Just as soon as a need arises.

Is the RS170 different than it was before?  I borrowed one from a friend to see what it was like, and it was pretty bad RF-wise; distinctly worse that the phony-formerly-respected-brand-name Recotons I had before. I should have kept them.  Housecleaning is, alas, not error-proof.

Sog

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #15 of 20
I've had the chance to do a quick comparisson of the RS180 vs my Sennheiser HD558 and I must say the RS sounded pretty good, nice balanced sound, no real problems except some slight bass distortion and some artifacting, although this might be all in my head. I could certainly live with the sound, but I'm a firm believer in cables :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back