I need some light on earbuds
May 13, 2021 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

henry9731

Member of the Trade: Astral Acoustics
Can someone explain to me what's up with the earbuds trend/interest?
I don't seem to understand what's so likable about buds... Like I understand there very some cheap ones, ones that come with a mobile and then some expansive ones...
What's so good about buds?

May 13, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 4
They have a more airy, spacious presentation compared to IEMs - think of the difference a bit like open-back versus closed-back headphones. The FiiO EM5 blew me away with how refined and dynamic it sounded.

May 13, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 4
Can someone explain to me what's up with the earbuds trend/interest?
I don't seem to understand what's so likable about buds... Like I understand there very some cheap ones, ones that come with a mobile and then some expansive ones...
What's so good about buds?

Earbuds are akin to open backed headphones. They give Superior soundstage compared to most IEMs.

Most of them have dynamic drivers too and are hence quite good in timbral accuracy. They are also less hot/clampy than headphones, so good for those who live in hot environments or wear specs.

Earbuds are also generally cheaper than iems and headphones. Sub $10 usd can give decent sound. Midfi can be reached at $50ish and $100ish can give totl sound.

Earbuds however have zero isolation and most have poor subbass quantity/extension as such. So best to be used at home as the isolation is a factor.

U can ask more in the dedicated earbuds headfi thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back