I need help picking out a watch.
Jun 17, 2007 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
I know I'm a little late for Fathers Day, but I wanted to get my Dad a nice watch, and I know a lot of you guys are watch enthusiasts.

My dad used to be a manager of a jewlery store back in the 70's/80's. So he has been around a lot of nice watches and he knows what he is looking at when he sees one. I wanted to spend somewhere between $500 and $1000 on it. I was thinking of an automatic watch, because He would probably forget to wind it. Also, I don't know if this is available in my price range, but I would love to get him one where you can see the Movement. Either through the back, or the face. He probably wouldn't want a Chronograph (all the extra hands might be a little too busy for him), but the date would be a must.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 31
Don't know about spending that much jack, but for $170.00 ya can grab what I own:
SKAGEN.jpg

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to spend somewhere between $500 and $1000 on it. I was thinking of an automatic watch, because He would probably forget to wind it.

Most automatics are in the $3000+ range last time I looked. Below that and you have the very cheap; $300 Tissot PR50 auto and $100 Chinese Stauers and Steinhausens. There seems to be no 'middle-ground' automatics.
tissot-pr50-automatique.jpg

Or you could always get him a Fake Rolex

Quote:

Also, I don't know if this is available in my price range, but I would love to get him one where you can see the Movement.

These are called 'skeleton' watches.

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 31
If you do a minimal little search you will fin threads like this one that will give you some input, please, remember one of the recos of this forum, use the search function always before opening a new thread on a topic....

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do a minimal little search you will fin threads like this one that will give you some input, please, remember one of the recos of this forum, use the search function always before opening a new thread on a topic....

Sorry, I always forget to use the search, because the forum I used to be on most of the time had the worst search feature ever. So I just learned to ignore iit.

Jun 18, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most automatics are in the $3000+ range last time I looked. Below that and you have the very cheap; $300 Tissot PR50 auto and $100 Chinese Stauers and Steinhausens. There seems to be no 'middle-ground' automatics.

Or you could always get him a Fake Rolex

These are called 'skeleton' watches.

Oh, no. There are automatics going under $100 (the popular Invicta 8926, for one) and there's a huge market under $1,000. One of the best places to find these is here:

http://www.pmwf.com/

The Poor Man's Watch Forum focuses on quality watches under $1,000. Disclaimer: if any of you end up dropping cash after visiting there, don't come whining to me!
biggrin.gif

But for your range, check out the offerings from Oris, Fortis and Stowa. I like all three a great deal and usually wear a Forts Cosmonaut around. I think I paid $400 for it... great deal on a good watch. They're discontinued, but still, you can find their Spacematic or Flieger lines well under $1,000.

You might also want to consider a vintage watch for your father. There's a ton of them on eBay. For that price range, how about an old Omega Constellation? Those are absolutely wonderful watches. No display back, but they're stylish and still a good value. Another good used watch is from IWC. The lower end of vintage ones hovers around $1,000. It's a top-notch brand, too, and something to be proud of. Lesser known, but still excellent, are Zenith watches. Slightly obscure is the Eternamatic Kontiki, but I just love those, especially the 1950s ones with the gold raft medallion on the back.

Another interesting vintage is the Bulova Accutron Astronaut. Great watch and Accutrons are fun, anyhow. They're electronic, but not a quartz. They use a tuning fork and they literally hum. Your father will probably remember them, too.

Also, skeleton watches are not necessarily those with display backs. A proper one does not have a dial, either, and the plates are designed so they do not take up as much room as full ones do, so you can see through to the other side. It's a gimmick, but some like them. I prefer full plates, a dial and a solid back. If the back is solid, it is much more likely to keep its integrity and not leak moisture, etc.

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.pmwf.com/

The Poor Man's Watch Forum focuses on quality watches under $1,000. Disclaimer: if any of you end up dropping cash after visiting there, don't come whining to me!
biggrin.gif

Damn you! I just ordered an automatic Citizen. Diver with traditional Chinese day/date. I probably won't see another one of those at the local Subway®! And it only cost me $79.

(I've been looking for a chinese character watch since I saw a Rolex Date-Date on a Hong Kong forum).

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 31
x2 on the Tissot, Oris, and Stowa, and a big x2 on going vintage. I really like old Omega and Rado; sadly, considering the hideous watches Rado makes now.

Jun 19, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 31
If I were going to buy a vintage watch, what should I watch out for?

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #14 of 31
I'm not so sure how well received a Tag would be by someone who was a jeweler, but check out the offerings at Watchbuys. If you want a chrono, how about the Sinn 356? Automatic Swiss Valjoux 7750 movement (standard fair in the nicer automatic chronos) and the best you can get....for about 1000.

But, if you want something more elegant, then really, I second, third, and fourth Stowa. I've got an Antea KS and I do not regret picking that over the Nomos Tangent.

Check out http://www.gnomonwatches.com/ - he's got watches at all price ranges and it doesn't look like he has a bad one in the bunch. But otherwise, for watch advice, I prefer Watchuseek to PMWF and especially Timezone, my least favorite. I prefer WUS because there's more fun to be had at nearly all the price points, and the people are nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back