I need help making the AKG K702 comfortable
Jul 28, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #16 of 31
I tried stretching them out and it still pains me unfortunately. Do you think Beyerdynamic headphones will be any better? My ATH-TAD500s were comfortable other than the earpad resting on the ears, so maybe a regular headband is what I need?

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #17 of 31
I tried stretching them out and it still pains me unfortunately.

I did say leave it on whatever to stretch it on for a week. Unless you're running out of time to return them then just put them back on whatever you're stretching them on.

And make sure that whatever you use is at least an inch wider than your head.

Do you think Beyerdynamic headphones will be any better? My ATH-TAD500s were comfortable other than the earpad resting on the ears, so maybe a regular headband is what I need?

Not sure about the Beyers. Their fit tends to favor smaller heads than larger and if the K702 is too tight for you it's more likely they won't work. That said the metal headband frame and gimbals gives you several points to adjust them at.

That said, if the K702 is painful for you while it's comfortable for me, but I have to stretch out Beyers, you can probably assume they'll be tighter at the default shape.

If you like the K702's sound anyway I'd be more inclined to just get an HD800 and a good OTL tube amp.

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #18 of 31
If you like the K702's sound anyway I'd be more inclined to just get an HD800 and a good OTL tube amp.
Sorry to the OP for going off topic but ProtegeManiac, have you heard the HD800? I haven't heard the HD800 but from your comment, i'm guessing there are some similarities in sound signature? from what I read about the HD800, it seems that it has a brighter sound signature compared to the K702?

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #19 of 31
I did say leave it on whatever to stretch it on for a week. Unless you're running out of time to return them then just put them back on whatever you're stretching them on.

And make sure that whatever you use is at least an inch wider than your head.

Not sure about the Beyers. Their fit tends to favor smaller heads than larger and if the K702 is too tight for you it's more likely they won't work. That said the metal headband frame and gimbals gives you several points to adjust them at.

That said, if the K702 is painful for you while it's comfortable for me, but I have to stretch out Beyers, you can probably assume they'll be tighter at the default shape.

I misunderstood "days" as 2-3 -- I am running out of time to return them though. However, I do have some updates/questions.

1) I tried out the AKG K240 and those were SUPER comfortable. I feel like the design is roughly the same, so I wonder if there's something particular about that model. If it were open back, I would have bought it off them immediately.

2) I thought about the slanted pads on the K702 and noticed the bottom half had the bulkier side of the pad. I am now trying out flipping the pad and the pressure has moved to the top of my head instead of my jaw. I'll give it a few hours to make sure I'm not crazy, but it seems like the bulkier side of the pad is causing the pressure. I'm thinking about replacement pads, but I'm whether the bulkiness of the pad or its asymmetry (Meaning it pushes in on the top/bottom) is causing the problem.

Jul 28, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #20 of 31
You might want to try out K612 pads, K612 pads are softer than K702 pads and I didn't really check but I don't think they are slanted/angled either. Though i'm not sure where you could find K612 pads without having to buy a K612.

Jul 28, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #21 of 31
You might want to try out K612 pads, K612 pads are softer than K702 pads and I didn't really check but I don't think they are slanted/angled either. Though i'm not sure where you could find K612 pads without having to buy a K612.

I was thinking of Dekoni or ZMF once I figure out if the issue is asymmetry or if the pads if simply thick.

Jul 29, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #22 of 31
Sorry to the OP for going off topic but ProtegeManiac, have you heard the HD800? I haven't heard the HD800 but from your comment, i'm guessing there are some similarities in sound signature? from what I read about the HD800, it seems that it has a brighter sound signature compared to the K702?

Imaging is very similar if not wider (still depends on the recording - if it's not properly done you won't get any improvement, not even over an HD600). Tone is somewhat similar except the HD800 tends to have a sort of "dry" sound even compared to the K702 depending on the amp, and is closer to a K701 with more low bass (since the K701 starts rolling off at just 65hz), as it has taller treble peaks than the K702 while the K701 just rolls off at the low end.

For the most part people buy either mainly for the imaging anyway so the most important part will be there.

I misunderstood "days" as 2-3 -- I am running out of time to return them though. However, I do have some updates/questions.

1) I tried out the AKG K240 and those were SUPER comfortable. I feel like the design is roughly the same, so I wonder if there's something particular about that model. If it were open back, I would have bought it off them immediately.

2) I thought about the slanted pads on the K702 and noticed the bottom half had the bulkier side of the pad. I am now trying out flipping the pad and the pressure has moved to the top of my head instead of my jaw. I'll give it a few hours to make sure I'm not crazy, but it seems like the bulkier side of the pad is causing the pressure. I'm thinking about replacement pads, but I'm whether the bulkiness of the pad or its asymmetry (Meaning it pushes in on the top/bottom) is causing the problem.

Uhhh...why did you get them at a discount again? Because that's not how they're supposed to come from the factory, nor how they're supposed to be used. Are those refurbed and were returned that way by the previous buyer?

The thicker parts of the earpads have to be towards the rear so that they mimic the angle that speakers are positioned at, which is one of the main design parameters that contributed to the improved imaging vs other headphones since it reduces the "fires straight into the ears" design of traditional headphones and instead positions the drivers relative to the ear where speakers would be (albeit on the head). The HD700 and HD800 just do that with an angled mount on the chassis itself. The K70x just used the asymmetrical pads because the chassis has to be shared with other products, mainly the K60x. Same thing with the Beyer T1 and T5P, just that you can't see that on the visible part of the earpads. AFAIK the K8xx uses a bit of both angled mounting along with the asymmetrical pads.

HD800 - note how that grill isn't parallel to the earpads
33490893-2-1333-EAR-4.jpg

Beyerdynamic T1 - driver also mounted at an angle
8027099.jpg

Jul 29, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #24 of 31
Imaging is very similar if not wider (still depends on the recording - if it's not properly done you won't get any improvement, not even over an HD600). Tone is somewhat similar except the HD800 tends to have a sort of "dry" sound even compared to the K702 depending on the amp, and is closer to a K701 with more low bass (since the K701 starts rolling off at just 65hz), as it has taller treble peaks than the K702 while the K701 just rolls off at the low end.

For the most part people buy either mainly for the imaging anyway so the most important part will be there.

Uhhh...why did you get them at a discount again? Because that's not how they're supposed to come from the factory, nor how they're supposed to be used. Are those refurbed and were returned that way by the previous buyer?

The thicker parts of the earpads have to be towards the rear so that they mimic the angle that speakers are positioned at, which is one of the main design parameters that contributed to the improved imaging vs other headphones since it reduces the "fires straight into the ears" design of traditional headphones and instead positions the drivers relative to the ear where speakers would be (albeit on the head). The HD700 and HD800 just do that with an angled mount on the chassis itself. The K70x just used the asymmetrical pads because the chassis has to be shared with other products, mainly the K60x. Same thing with the Beyer T1 and T5P, just that you can't see that on the visible part of the earpads. AFAIK the K8xx uses a bit of both angled mounting along with the asymmetrical pads.

HD800 - note how that grill isn't parallel to the earpads
33490893-2-1333-EAR-4.jpg

Beyerdynamic T1 - driver also mounted at an angle
8027099.jpg

I bought it online from B&H Photo while they were on sale. I assume it was new. I might be conflating the back/bottom since the pain originated from that general area. If flipping the pad changes the area of discomfort, do you know think I should buy flat earpads even though it's not the intended design? I'm looking into flat Brainwaves v angled Dekoni earpads as my solution atm.

Jul 30, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #25 of 31
Thanks for your impressions/reply. Very interesting indeed. I have been meaning to purchase an HD800 for a long time, I swear I'll get one eventually, lol.

AFAIK the HD800S is tonally closer to the K702 than the HD800, so that's something to consider. Just that it's considerably more expensive and that's before taking into consideration how many more HD800 can be found used.

I bought it online from B&H Photo while they were on sale. I assume it was new.

Regardless, it needs to be towards the back for it to work for the soundstage.

If flipping the pad changes the area of discomfort, do you know think I should buy flat earpads even though it's not the intended design?

That's the thing though - it's not the intended design and instead of a good mod you lose out on how that earpad pushes the cymbals farther from you just enough so there's not much glare from them.

I'm looking into flat Brainwaves v angled Dekoni earpads as my solution atm.

For the price of the K702 plus those pads you might as well return the K702 and get a K612 or K7XX (or stretch a bit for the K712), which come with flat pads.

Jul 30, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #26 of 31
Are the K702 and K7xx the same other than the pads? I've seen those on massdrop for about $170, so it would be a $20 markup + whatever shipping cost to return the current pair of headphones. If that's still the better option, I'll do it though.

Jul 30, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #27 of 31
AFAIK the HD800S is tonally closer to the K702 than the HD800, so that's something to consider. Just that it's considerably more expensive and that's before taking into consideration how many more HD800 can be found used.
When I got in to hifi equipment and started buying quality headphones many years ago, I promised myself to never spend more than $1,000 on a headphone. The reason being that no matter how good a headphone above that price may sound, I just don't think it's worth paying that amount of money for one. So it will have to be a standard HD800. In my country they can be had new for as little as $700. So yeah, I think i'll be buying one soon.

Jul 30, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #28 of 31
Are the K702 and K7xx the same other than the pads? I've seen those on massdrop for about $170, so it would be a $20 markup + whatever shipping cost to return the current pair of headphones. If that's still the better option, I'll do it though.

AFAIK the K7XX is the K702 65th Anniversary but with flat pads.

Personally I still prefer the K702 over the K7XX but I never had a problem with the properly oriented earpads.

Note there's still a risk that you might still have to stretch the K7XX anyway.

Have you tried the K702 with the earpads properly oriented?

Jul 31, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #29 of 31
I tried it with the proper orientation and I feel the pressure on my jaw. I'm still not sure if the asymmetry or the general width of the pad causes the pain, but I feel it for sure. I preferred a variation where I had the short side on the bottom and the tall/thick pad on the top. It's a bit of pressure on the top of the head, but way more comfortable.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #30 of 31
I tried it with the proper orientation and I feel the pressure on my jaw. I'm still not sure if the asymmetry or the general width of the pad causes the pain, but I feel it for sure. I preferred a variation where I had the short side on the bottom and the tall/thick pad on the top. It's a bit of pressure on the top of the head, but way more comfortable.

Either you stretch out that headband more or just get a K7XX.

That thick part isn't the core problem. I have earpads twice as thick as Sennheiser's and I'm not getting any discomfort because I've adjusted the metal frame. The difference is I can bend this metal frame at greater angles to loosen it but your AKG's plastic frame and elastics can snap if you do that, hence the "clamp it over something wider than your head for a full week" method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back