I need help finding the right headphones for me
Dec 20, 2010 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AdamVelasco

New Head-Fier
ok well i receive xmas money every year from my parents and this year i want to buy myself a nice pair of headphones that will last around a year or two.
things regarding what i want:
1. i listen to mostly ska, and some hip hop. and a little of all other genres.
2. i prefer over the ear headphones
3. i would prefer to have noise-cancelling features.
4. ill be willing to pay up to 300 as im planning to keep these for a year or longer.

i just maybe want some recommendations or guidance.

thanks

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 9
It seems that you don't have a high enough budget to get a headphone that would require amping, so I would recommend something the the audio technica m50, or the shure840/750dj's.  They would only take up about half your budget, but any headphone that gets much more expensive than those is going to require amping which adds up quickly.  

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
okay well im a 16 year old kid that just wants to listen to my music without anyone bothering me. so im big on the noise cancelling

Yay a fellow 16 year old! Read this.

And it doesn't apply just to IEMs. Most closed headphones will block out most noise once you play music. Isolated headphones are a better bang for your buck than noise canceling, going by new price. If someone found a used QC15 for $100, by all means they should get it.

Anyways, I LOVE ska (enough to start a ska band with my friends) and particularly like the horns and guitars, and my AKG K271 are pretty good at reproducing those, and block out most noise. But I'll admit they're not the best for hip hop, if you like big bass. They do have nice bass though, if you're looking for quality over quantity. And they've lasted at least 3 years (bought them used. No idea when the original owner bought them) and only need a replacement cable. The DT770s (Pro) would be great for hip hop, and okay for ska (again, my tastes are probably different from yours) and isolate better than the AKGs. You'll probably need an amp though. A cheap Cmoy would work decently, but far from their best.

I've only heard the M50s for a few minutes, but they sounded wonky to me for some reason. Most ATs have for me. And never heard the Shures. I really should though.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 9
well i listen to ska 80 percent of the time and the rest is hip hop i guess. and i dont need big bass. what i need is.. pretty good noise cancelling/isolating and comfort i guess.

do the AKGs fit into my demands?

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
well i listen to ska 80 percent of the time and the rest is hip hop i guess. and i dont need big bass. what i need is.. pretty good noise cancelling/isolating and comfort i guess.

do the AKGs fit into my demands?

They fit my needs, but they like to be amped. They sound okay unamped though. I'd wait for others to chime in. And I prefer a /\ sound sig instead of a V curve like most headphones this price have.

Quote:
ooh i just read that article u told me to read. soo noise isolating would be better cause its just as effective but wayy less money?

For the most part.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
ooh i just read that article u told me to read. soo noise isolating would be better cause its just as effective but wayy less money?

Among other things.  The article seems to talk a lot about how uncomfortable/inconvenient the noise canceling cans were.

Furthermore a good pair of headphones in your price range will last way more than a year or two.

What sounds can you hear while in your listening environment that might disturb you?  As far as I know, most people opt for open headphones while at home.  Closed headphones tend to not sound as good (for the same price).

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Everything depends on your source. I have no problems driving K271, DT770/880/990 250 Ohm and HD650 straight from my Auzen X-Fi Prelude sound card and while i was enjoying my K271S for 6 years (they still working properly just felt covering drivers fell off) while looking for replacement found out that i prefer open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back