I need help considering a pair of k271 studio
Jan 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Rock_Mike

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I didn't think i needed a new pair of cans, until i discovered head-fi...now that's all that i can think of: cans and amps!
smily_headphones1.gif

I currently have an AKG K66 (low end), and i am considering buying a pair of k271s because they are closed (it's a requirement), have few rivals in this price range (when amped - so i've read), and they're as high as my budget can go.
I've read quite a bit about them on this forum but i'm still somewhat confused: how laid-back in the bass section are they? So much that i'm only gonna concentrate on that, and not on my music? (i listen to metal mostly, but some classical too) Or i'm gonna get used to it, and not notice it anymore?

Also i've heard that they don't like some amps as much as others. Do you know how well they're driven by the one on the e-mu 0404 usb? (don't own one yet, but it's the most probable choice - it has a good DAC for it's price).

There is no chance that i'll be able to listen to any of those before i buy them, so your input will be greatly appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock_Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read quite a bit about them on this forum but i'm still somewhat confused: how laid-back in the bass section are they? So much that i'm only gonna concentrate on that, and not on my music? (i listen to metal mostly, but some classical too) Or i'm gonna get used to it, and not notice it anymore?

Though I own my 271's only for a few weeks now I can't say I ever had the feeling that I missed or heard a lack of bass. I listen to many genres but mostly rock, I do also listen to artists like Rammstein, Marilyn Manson & Rob Zombie, who make music pretty close to metal and that stuff.

I can really recommend these cans
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 26
The bass is controlled and goes very deep, they are a natural sounding headphone, not bassy, but not bassless. Nice detail, great mids, but kind of closed in soundstage wise. great can for the price.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 26
I owned these headphones for quite a while and loved them. If I had them back and wanted a good DAC/headamp solution for not so much money, I would certainly think it a very safe bet that the new Meier-Audio Corda 2Move would be more than sufficient to drive these headphones--and to drive them well. I actually wished that I could have tried the K271S with a headamp offering crossfeed, as I think the sound (soundstage particularly) may have benefited somewhat from this.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 26
I hated the K271...
mad.gif

...until I heared it amped.
tongue.gif
Now I'm constantly putting money aside to get my own pair. That combination of isolation, build quality, detailling and sheer musicality is hardly to be beaten - at least for that price.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hated the K271...
mad.gif

...until I heared it amped.
tongue.gif
Now I'm constantly putting money aside to get my own pair. That combination of isolation, build quality, detailling and sheer musicality is hardly to be beaten - at least for that price.

I will sell you mine (with a 1 metre Zu Mobious cable) for an incredible price, if you like. Just PM me.

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will sell you mine (with a 1 metre Zu Mobious cable) for an incredible price, if you like. Just PM me.

If I didn't have one I'd jump on it. With Zu cable and velour pads they are just incredible. I have tried everything closed in $300 range, still nothing clicks all the buttons for me like K271S do. D2000 approach that, but provide poor isolation, plus bass is a bit of on overcooked side which impairs details (gets tons better with unbent headband though).

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanalei mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass is controlled and goes very deep, they are a natural sounding headphone, not bassy, but not bassless. Nice detail, great mids, but kind of closed in soundstage wise. great can for the price.

Exactly how I would describe these. I loved them for music but I need them to fill the role of movies / games and they were too bass light for that IMO. Still incredible for music, but I was mainly concerned with other aspects of performance.

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 26
That's just what i want in a headphone! I'm going to look for a usb dac/amp that will suit them better and definitely give them a run for their money!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your help guys, i owe you one!

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 26
I prefer the K271S to the A900, and like the others above, don't feel that they are bass-light at all. Faust2D's MB QP70 would also be nice and are not far behind the K271 for a lot less cash, if they haven't sold yet.

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With Zu cable and velour pads they are just incredible.

Do velour pads influence sound and isolation?

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

I've found the isolation a little better and the sound did change a little but some of that is probably due to the fact that the pleathers on mine were old and compressed. Things seemed a little clearer and there was a little more bass but that's about all I remember.

Ant

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

They are deeper and seal better around ears, that, as mentioned by apostate, improves isolation and adds some bass. So if there is any effect, it's only positive.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back